Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JPONeill

Is it still possible that the aircraft may still end up at Aer Lingus? Or are they definitely going to Iberia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Nobody knows where they’re going yet. The deadline from IAG was late April I believe.

This date was set because Airbus need to get the aircraft painted by the end of the month at the latest in order for it to begin flight testing and stay on schedule for delivery.

IAG claim delivery is dependent on reaching an agreement with pilots. At present, last ditch talks between EI and IALPA have failed, now they await the Labour Relations Court. A resolution from that is a long shot and even if it happens, is weeks away from being put forward so it is very, very unlikely Aer Lingus will meet IAG’s deadline.

Personally I’m leaning more and more towards the suggestion that IAG have already made their minds up, the pilot issue along with the Dublin passenger cap is enough to ensure Aer Lingus will not be receiving the XLR and I wouldn’t be surprised if we soon see their A32Ns remaining on order go elsewhere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Aer Lingus could be set to announce an interline agreement Wideroe Airlines (operate DUB-Bergen) similar to Loganair for T/A connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jwm121

It's such a shame with this happening and the cap, both things that will have lasting effects for years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

It is beginning to look like that. However the issue of painting the aircraft seems a bit contrived to me. They could, for example, have it painted white and have the final livery applied later when the outcome of the IR process is known - not ideal but it would not delay the production and delivery process at this point.

It is IAG/Aer Lingus that have blown the pilot pay issue up into this relatively serious crisis for the company. The Labour Court process will deliver an outcome and employers and unions who come to the process in good faith usually abide by the Court's findings/recommendations. If that is not how IAG and EI see it, this dispute could get worse rather than better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I believe April 22nd is the Labour ocurt decison.
    The aircraft itself isnt due for delivery until July so its in no real rush to get the livery.

Iberia have their own XLRs on order. I wonder what their cabin config is though……

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The Labour Court meetng on 22 April has been described as a hearing, so it is just the next stage in a process. The Court would not issue a report immediately - more like a few weeks later, if indeed the meeting on the 22nd is a formal hearing of the two sides, with presentations.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Regarding this ongoing XLR delivery issue. Aer Lingus were planned to take delivery in Q3.
    They dont require it until their winter schedule kicks in (usually last weekend of October)
    And any A321XLR dependant new routes wont be launched until 2025.

So failing to get the 1st XLR isnt the commercial blow that EI mgmt are presenting it as. Losing the whole 6 aircraft would be.
    Lets assume the flight crew pay talks end up with a resolution in 4-6 weeks. That shouldn't affect the delivery of the 4 XLRs in 2025. And with IAG having many of them on order, Iberia can just swop 1-2 of their own delivery slots with EI in 2025.

This swopping of aircraft deliveries is supposed to be a positive of the IAG ownership (positive for bean counters rather than passengers I would express)

• bean counters is a bit harsh, swapping allows orders to be placed and sort out who gets them closer to the time. That’s a massive customer benefit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jwm121

When IAG set up the deadline for the talks were they talking about 1 XLR aircraft delivery, so the launch of the XLR and them getting the first aircraft or were they talking about the whole 6 aircraft delivery? As some people said IAG may have changed their plans a while ago when the cap started to become an issue. That's good to hear though if that is the case so EI could still get their XLRs

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭sailing

I think this a very accurate summary of the situation. EI weren’t the original launch customer of the XLR. External factors shoehorned them into so. EI don’t need the first XLR. They have no plans for it until the winter. This aircraft would probably have gone into storage for the the few months after the initial launch.

What’s far more concerning for EI and the other operators in Dublin is the passenger cap. This is going to become a major issue very soon, and the XLR issue will pale into insignificance if it’s not resolved.

The XLR narrative in relation to the pay talks is convenient for the company. I think the penny has dropped with them though that pilots in particular don’t really care about the delivery date. EI won’t be the launch customer. It’s clear now that Iberia will operate it initially, more than likely for route proving and training purposes prior to their own deliveries of what will essentially be a new narrow body Transatlanix fleet for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

easyJet, Virgin Atlantic and TUI have all done pilot pay deals in the last week for >20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LimaBravoTango

EI-NSE spotted in full c/s and fully assembled at TLS

https://aviation.flights/aib/A320/12190

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭sandbelter

It isn't simply wages. In the case of Aer Lingus, IAG are looking for productivity improvements as part of the negotiations which doesn't seem to have been picked up on.

This what Luis Gallego himself had say at the Annual results briefing: " Then we have Aer Lingus. Aer Lingus, the issue, Lynne can explain better than me, is that pilots are asking for increases in three years, that don't make any sense. Productivity of the pilots of Aer Lingus is not high. They are asking to remove the productivity measures that were agreed during COVID and because of that, we don't have a lot of space to reach an agreement. It's not that we don't want to invest in Aer Lingus. For
    sure, we want, and we are investing in Aer Lingus. I think it's the airline that with more growth since they joined the group because they have a huge potential."

I've provided the transcript of the Results briefing, P16 is where he comments on it.

Source: https://www.iairgroup.com/media/tqcdf2zq/transcript-iag-fy-results.pdf P

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lockheed

I don't necessarily think a productivity increase is uncalled for. Aer Lingus pilots don't fly half as many hours (on average) as some other European airlines. They also don't have as many "double" duties. Lots of part time and flexible rosters and quite generous leave allowances.

It just has to make sense in terms of an attractive pay package. IAG will just be looking to extract maximum value from the pilot body, as any large corporation would do I suppose…

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭CoisFharraige

The "half as many hours" is a bit far-fetched, but I appreciate the sentiment of your message.

Many I know in the airline would float around 700-800hrs (A320 FOs), compared with your 900hrs in Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭sailing

That’s a sweeping statement post if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Doubles are a common feature for EI crew, both pilots and cabin crew alike! Many would fly 20 sectors in 5 days on a regular basis! While 5 days of “doubles” would reduce the flight hours, it doubles the workload!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Astral Nav

Lockheed, part time is part pay, productivity the same. Hard to fly a lot of hours when your employer hires in a lot of ACMI due it's own aircraft not being available!

Very easy to knock pilot's pay and conditions. Next time you're in an aircraft landing in a named storm your view of productivity might be slanted a different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lockheed

I apologise if that sounded harsh. They are of course the best pilots in the business and need their pay deal to reflect that. I was of course comparing to what I know about Aer Lingus with what I know about that blue airline and their working conditions.

There could definitely be some realistic improvements to productivity while they reach that deal though ! Again probably not as harsh as I implied !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

No such thing as a stupid question.

Doubles are pairings of flight duties on the same day. A "normal" work day for short haul crew might be a flight to Rome and back. Doubles are 4 sector days where, for example, you might operate a Dublin-Amsterdam-Dublin flight and then do a Dublin-Birmingham-Dublin after that. They are high workload days and they are long with any delay early in the day compounding and increasing time pressure on the other sectors. Other common doubles would be double London Heathrows, Manchester/Paris, Dublin-Heathrow-Knock-Heathrow-Dublin etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Are 6 sector days in Ryanair still a thing? Now that is a day that I wouldn't like!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Poland2020

They do still exist - double Manchester - Liverpool (combo) from DUB and Cork has them too. (Double Stansted - Manchester)

That statement EI pilots don’t work half as hard is a very mid 1990s statement.

If anything the pilot numbers are very light - siding on short staffed. Max hours are very common. 800-850 on the 320 is common. That is very high when you consider it’s mixed European and TA flights.

330 pilots can vary from 650-800 (depending on how many nights away).

Post edited by Poland2020 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Would love to know the basis of the statement "They are of course the best pilots in the business".

I'd have thought there little difference between the skill level of an equivalently tenured pilot in any major carrier, be that EI, FR, EK, DL, UA, et al.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭LimaRomeo990

Shannon is the same. The SNN Ryanair crew would do Shannon-Gatwick-Shannon-Alicante-Shannon for example. 4 sector days are very common

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

Flew on ei dem this morning to lanzaorte seats were really comfortable could have been lucky with just the row I was in 26a but for a 19 year old aircraft seats were very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

lintdrummer explained it pretty well but something like DUB-LHR-DUB-LHR-DUB etc. Basically two trips in a day

Advertisement