Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 World Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭spurshero

these are like 2 club players …. I knows there’s pressure it’s so bad it’s good !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Still happy for Milkins to win that one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

He finished it out well enough considering how he was earlier. Turns out his tip wasn't dodgy after all, causing those miscues.

That half of the draw opening up well for Mark Allen.

Bit of a dig at poor old Dominic, hope he puts in a little bit of a fight tommorow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Good to see him admit what any right thinking person already knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭drury..

I take it u don't like him ,he's not the most likeable

As with musicians you have to try to differentiate between the person and the music

Some people have difficulty with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

How long have the qualifying been just before the crucible?

Did it used to be at pontins or something a good while before?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

A good while now. I feel like it was a bit further in advance of the main event in the past, but I think qualifying has been around for a long time.

I think it's been expanded from 3 rounds to 4 in recent years, so it probably includes players further down the rankings than before. But not sure about that. Open to correction

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Spiderpig92

The qualifiers for the 1993 World Championship were held in the summer of 1992 would you believe…

This will be a thumping

I'll call it 10-2

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

There are people nearly bringing up a lung in the crowd, jesus...

• Advertisement

The old DDK got trotted out in the Allen match. Taylor will be happy with himself.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Jackson Page sounds more like a country singer.

This could be over pretty quickly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Next week:

Ronnie says he is the greatest player and everyone except Higgins is a numpty

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Great 122 by O'Sullivan

5-0 now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Some of the 1st round matches have been horrendous draws for the seeded players. O'Sullivan, as always seems to be the way, gets it handy, Jackson Page. 🤭

On paper he was due to play Hawkins in the next round, and Ding Junhui after that. 2 players who routinely fold when playing Ronald. Both of them got way tougher draws, Ding is out, and Hawkins is behind in his match. Ding was beaten by Lisowski. There's no comparison between him and Page.

Mark Williams and Gary Wilson must have been cursing their luck. Even Brecel to a lesser degree.

Jackson showing he can play with a 142

Brilliant 142 by Page.

6-1now.

Hearn hinting at moving the world championship and RTE suggesting it could be moved to Saudi.

That would be pointless to except the event organisers. The world championship is the showcase event so it has to appeal to a new or casual Audi to encourage them to watch more or play more.

It has to be beneficial to the organiation, players, spectators and fans watching on TV. The Crucible doesn't fulfill all those objectives but Saudi wouldn't be better overall. It would be soulless.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/snooker/2024/0424/1445443-hearn-issues-warning-on-crucible-future/

Can we get tomorrows O'Sullivan headline from you today ?

I can't see anyway it serves the game of snooker to move it

I reckon it'll turn into ANother tournament after a move whereas right now at the crucible it's a special event

Don't see how capacity issue is a biggie here when its mostly a tv event

• Advertisement

Wish them Saudi's would feck off 🙁

It's looking a bit like the 2002 World Cup with a few big names out early.

So is Hearn going to sell 2,500 tickets every session in Saudi Arabia. At the equivalent of 50 pounds a pop. Go on Barry, off you go me old son.

Not the once a week O'Sullivan is playing mind, every single session, almost 3 times a day for 17 days

Isn't the fact that the only way to see it is on tv kinda the point? But if you mostly watch it on tv anyway, why would you really care where the broadcast is coming from?

I think it could do with reimagining the fan experience to make it more attractive to go to it along with increasing the venue capacity.

Tradition is great but they're stuck in a rut.

No he won't sell tickets in Saudi. The Saudis will pay the snooker organiation a fortune to host the event. He and the organisation will make a fortune and the prize money would go way up. It wouldn't be about the fans attending

So no atmosphere and a shift away from British/European time zone is what's on offer. And the BBC are unlikely to give you wall to wall coverage anymore, with all the exposure that brings. They won't be host broadcaster, calling the shots.

How to alienate your core audience and business partners

Yeah, That's what would happen if it moves to Saudi.

Sheffield and Saudi aren't the only places on the world that could host a snooker event. But it looks like it's moving to Saudi. Stayed too long in Sheffield with pretty much no fan experience except watching the broadcast from the winter garden across the square.

You get the crucible atmosphere on tv

Leaving aside the $$$$ how are they stuck in a rut?

The venue is tried and tested and works

The venue is full of history and the atmosphere is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Genghis

Lots of talk of moving from Crucible, even from Hearn who vowed it wouldn't move while he was around.

So I expect, sadly, that it will now go from Sheffield after 2027. Probably to China, possibly Saudi. I will be making sure to get tickets for next year.

I wonder when they move the WC will they do something to continue the Crucible heritage like move the Masters to the Crucible. A token gesture, but Top 16 player 8 day event, 2 table til semis, best of 19 matches could still be good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I like Barry Hawkins. If you’re teaching a kid to play snooker I’d recommend copying his cue action. Really compact. Nothing to really go wrong.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Would be meaningless imo

The crucible is the WCs

Advertisement