Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18% target for forest cover by 2050 - how to get there?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Natural open forests of Pine are a million miles away from the type of closely planted sterile monoculture spruce plantations favored by the industry here - any comparison between them is simply not valid in terms of biodiversity, water quality issues and timber quality etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭toothy

Of course but those areas historically had conifer forests and would have had by default continuous cover forestry

Excluding them is nuts, nowhere in Ireland is above the tree line. It's the complete denial of history and ecology.

These areas could once again contribute positively to our natural environmental instead of the desolation that all that they offer now.

Post edited by toothy on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭blackbox

It will all be down to money.

If the bottom falls out of food production in Ireland, and there is money to be made from forestry, you'll see things change rapidly. If there is money to be made, a shortage of sawmills won't be a problem.

If traditional dairy and tillage continues to be profitable, there will be no appetite for change.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

It will all be down to money.

I don't think so. Nobody can predict what a sawlog is going to be worth in 30 years time. Unless the money is paid at planting and growing stages. I drove over to the west a couple of times recently, with all the talk of a fodder shortage there's lot's of bales and silage still left in pits. It dawned on me why today, there's a lot less cattle there than there used to be. But I don't see a mad rush into planting trees there yet. Perhaps it will happen in the future when the current owners shuffle off this mortal coil and the next generation decide to plant.

I was at the recent timber growers conference last month. 2 things struck me,

the first was the absence of Pippa Hackett.

Secondly, everyone is complaining about red tape, bureaucracy, how hard it is to get a felling license etc.

There is no confidence at farm level in forestry. The farmers that post in this forum are the exceptional few.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ppn

Anyone know the current roadside price for Sawlog?

Agree completely with this notion that Sitka forests lack biodiversity, wildlife, etc. Absolute and utter "bullshite" as a landowner with a significant SS plantation, alive with mixed wildife, birds, etc.

And regarding hedgerows, the paper below finds that; "On average, 31% more carbon was stored in soil beneath hedgerows than grassland."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301479722000573

Advertisement