Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding on Good Friday

• 21-04-2024 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

Has anyone had their wedding on Good Friday? And if so, did you have any issues with suppliers or guests not happy going to a wedding Easter weekend? We have two dates provisionally booked, Good Friday and Saturday April 26th 2025, and having trouble deciding between two. We are not having a religious ceremony so that isn't a consideration.

Also looking for reccomendations for celebrants and photographers in the Louth area.

Thanks! 🙂

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

The only thing I'd keep in mind are the older people you may invite. A lot of them may want to attend mass, receive ashes and treat it as a day of fast and abstinence. I'd have no issue attending but a lot of the family friends/older aunts and uncles I invited would have fallen into the above category.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The mass is not celebrated on Good Friday.

Mind you asking any of the main Christian religions to conduct a celebration on such a significant day in their calendar might draw in question your entire understanding of your religion and the appropriateness of holding a church wedding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

If its not a religious wedding then it's just any other Friday? Have you guests who are religious? If so pick a different date. If not then drive on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Don't be annoyed if many of your invited guests are away for the long weekend / school holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would be delighted as no need to take a day off and also off the next day.

Getting vendors might be a challenge though as many treat it as a de facto bank holiday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Honest? Its wierd, you must be either stuck for dates or trying to go cheap on the venue. Either way its your own business. No I never heard of a wedding on good friday, ever.

There are no ashes on good friday that is ash Wednesday over a month before hand.

I am religious and most people I know are still religious if not observant. It just doesnt sit right with me and Easter is a family time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

but some of their guests and suppliers might be!

Worth noting it’s also a “fish” day for those that observe the custom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

go the Saturday. Friday wedding are a pain in the ass as people might have to take time of work and waste a days holidays that might be precious to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

What 893bet said. Saturday is the best day, if you are really considerate about your guests. No one really wants to go to a Friday wedding thus loosing a days holiday.

Funny that only one person twigged ash Wednesday is 38 days earlier then good Friday.

Post edited by Anaki r2d2 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

I'm a dope, it had been a looong day!! Of course the ashes aren't good friday, my bad!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That is why I said "I would be delighted" rather than everyone would be delighted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

While I'd be happy with either/or, the Saturday does sound like it would probably suit better, for those who are religious and those who have to work Good Friday.

It's still a long weekend, so people have an extra day that weekend as monday would be a bank holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Most people I know hate weddings anyway so personally wouldn't create extra angst for people who might be religious. Also a lot of people go away for long weekends so I'd probably stay away from them completely.

Advertisement