Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I just can't see irish internationals being that underpaid. Like furlong could have got 750k abroad when he signed his deal. Its hard to imagine that he is taking that big a paycut to play for ireland. Especially if central contracts exclude you from match fees.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

They had ludicrous depth in certain positions.

In 2013/14 as back row options they had all of the following: Juan Smith (70 cap Springbok), Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe (71 Argentina caps), Chris Masoe (20 All Blacks caps), Joe van Niekerk (52 Springbok caps), Danie Rossouw (63 cap Springbok) and Steffon Armitage (5 England caps and European Player of the Year that season).

In the back three they had all of: Drew Mitchell (71 Australia caps), Bryan Habana (124 Springbok caps), Josua Tuisova (19 Fiji caps), Alexis Palisson (21 France caps), Rudi Wulf (4 All Blacks caps), Delon Armitage (26 England caps) and David Smith (started majority of games that season and top try scorer).

Maxime Mermoz (35 France caps) didn't usually crack a match day 23 for them as they had Giteau and Basteraud as first choice centre pairing.

Simple maths would tell you they couldn't get all of these guys into a match 23 so at least some were regularly missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

If you think so

Not sure how "extremely in demand" a player for a few months is and another with a horrendous injury record

I will be interested to see how it plays out for Leinster, hopefully a success

This was the team which played in the 2013 adn 2014 HC final for an example

You can see why France have introduced the JIFF system

Then the next year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Not sure how "extremely in demand" a player for a few months is 

I’m fairly sure how extremely in-demand a player for a few months is when that player is Jordie Barrett…

• Advertisement

Thank you, so I said I am not sure and you confirmed you are not sure either 🤔

If you want to argue that even 6-month Jordie Barrett wouldn’t be extremely in-demand, you can, but I think you’re very wrong.

I've done this exercise before where I try to backsolve into what is Leinster's likely salary cost, including the Central Contracts, and even if I'm being extremely bullish on certain salaries, I still struggle to get to the numbers people attribute to them.

Group A: 9 centrally contracted players: Furlong (€650k), Porter (€600k), Sheehan (€500k), Ryan (€500k), Van der Flier (€500k), Henshaw (€500k), Ringrose (€500k), Keenan (€500k) - you could argue some of these might be a little higher, but I would pretty much guarantee quite a few of these are substantially lower too. Total of this cohort: €4.85m

Group B: 7 High paid established internationals: James Lowe (€300k), Jack Conan (€300k), Jamison Gibson Park (€300k), Ronan Kelleher (€250k), Michael Ala'alatoa (€250k), Ross Byrne (€250k), Charlie Ngatai (€250k) Total: €1.9m

Group C: 11 Breakthrough internationals or guys winding down: Jimmy O'Brien (€200k), Ryan Baird (€200k), Max Deegan (€200k), Will Connors (€200k), Rhys Ruddock (€200k), Cian Healy (€200k), Luke McGrath (€200k), Jordan Larmour (€200k), Jason Jenkins (€200k), Ross Molony (€200k), Ciaran Frawley (€200k) Total: €2.2m

Group D: 5 Guys largely on their second pro contract, or not established starters: Joe McCarthy (€150k), Scott Penny (€150k), Harry Byrne (€150k), Jamie Osborne (€150k), Ed Byrne (€120k). Total: €720k

Group E: 12 Guys largely on their first contract: Sam Prendergast (€90k), Liam Turner (€90k), Tommy O'Brien (€90k), Rob Russell (€90k), Michael Milne (€90k), Tom Clarkson (€90k), Cormac Foley (€60k), Brian Deeny (€60k), Martin Moloney (€60k), Alex Soroka (€60k), Lee Barron (€60k), John McKee (€60k). Total: €900k

That gives a total of €10.57m total which is pretty much in line with the French cap. There are a handful you could argue the toss on either way, but I would say there are a lot more in there where I've over-estimated the salary (Ngatai, Connors, Jenkins, Molony, Frawley, Osborne, McCarthy, Penny) than guys where I've under-estimated.

For next season - JGP will move from c. €350k to c. €500k (I doubt he's going to that high a number), and you're bringing in Jordie Barrett on c. €300k and Snyman on c. €500k, so that's adding €950k to the overall bill, but you also have to take out all of: Ala'alatoa (€250k), Jenkins (€200k), Molony (€200k), Byrne (€120k), Ngatai (€250k), so that's taking €1.02m out of the overall bill, leaving it broadly flat YoY at €10.55m for next year. Obviously if they sign another THP it will go up a bit.

I've already made the point that this isn't an apples and apples comparison to the French cap (because the French players get additional FFR payments), so while it's obviously higher than the other Irish provinces and the other URC teams, it's pretty much directly in line with the French cap. It absolutely isn't anywhere remotely close to the nonsensical figures bandied around in the past week of c. €13m-€14m or anything close to that.

So? Why would anyone be concerned about what you “think”?

I posted I wasn’t sure, so who is arguing? Apart from you because I’m not agreeing with you 🤷

It’s not an absolute certainty that he could have. People generally on here have a tendency to over-inflate rugby salaries generally.

Salaries have come down in Europe in recent years - the English and Welsh have imposed severely restrictive salary caps, the French slightly cut back their cap post COVID and the Irish have notably never been the best payers.

Even if Furlong could have gotten €750k from a French team, he’d have to balance that up with the expectation that he plays 16-20 games a year for them, when he’s averaged under 9 games a year for Leinster the past few years.

A lot of players would have the sense to realise that while they might make an extra 15% playing in France, they might only make that for a season or two, while staying in Ireland might extend their career by an extra couple of years beyond that, and keep them fresher for international rugby.

A relatively well put together article from John O’Sullivan in the Irish Times in June ‘23 had the following salary ranges for Irish rugby players:

Academy Contract: €8k pa

First Pro Contract: €15-€20k

Senior Provincial Contract: €80k-€100k

Regular Provincial Non International: €100k-€150k

Top End Provincial: up to €350k

Central Contracts: €500k-€600k, upper ceiling of €700k for select few

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭REDBULL68

No Darts on the day ,83,000 people, traffic will be crazy in Dublin.

When he signed that deal he was considered the best thp prop in the world. Both him and porter had insane leverage when they signed their deals as there was no one near them talent wise behind.

I could see some being lower than you think and sub 500k but i'd be surprised if either of those are sub 700k. I literally have no idea what the irfu would do if they didn't sign and surely their agents would know that. Someone like Sheehan, while an amazing player, i could see his first contract being lower than you'd think because he just has lower leverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I remain extremely skeptical about quite how 'in demand' Snyman was. Guy's been at Munster for 4 years and hasn't started a game at Thomond Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

snyman took less money as he wanted to get 5 years in ireland and citizenship.

barrett took less money too which is on the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Bus and luas. People wont be driving to croker as there is nowhere to park

Croker is a 15 min walk from Oconnell street

Irish rail is running, just no dart, is my understanding so people can still get trains from certain locations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I saw the player salaries for one of the provinces around 2015/6 and was pretty surprised at how low they were. That being said, I'd be surprised if that first pro contract figure is correct, as that's what they were back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The line is closed south of Grand Canal Dock. Trains and DARTs are both running north of there.

That piece I mentioned from John O'Sullivan is quoting Peter McKenna from IRUPA pretty liberally throughout so I wouldn't be entirely shocked if the numbers from that piece were in the right ballpark.

I've assumed a significantly higher amount though for those first contracts when estimating the salaries in the Leinster squad higher up in this thread.

I’n not sure anyone is concerned what any of us think.

But Jordie Barrett is one of the best players in the world, in his prime. Any suggestion that he may not be in demand because he only wanted 6 months is way off, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I see it's just Leo, Dundon and Kieran Hallett in Cape Town. Hallett is an EPDO.

Leinster dont appear to have a defined 'skills coach'. I wonder will Hallett be more involved with Bleyendaal from next season?

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/teams/mens-senior/management/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not sure what you think the point of a forum is if not to share what you think.

Barrett would most certainly be in demand, the only reason he wouldn't be is because teams felt they couldn't meet his salary expectations vs Japan.

Yes in demand but on a short term 6 month contract when he arrives in the middle of the season?

Also in terms of Synman was he really in demand? his injury record is terrible and for a French side, for example, you have the JIFF ruling so you sign a player who is potentially not available for the majority of the season in a more robust league than the URC

Same as above for Jordie who who be a non JIFF player but unavailable for huge section of the season.

Japan for both players would be in demand I expect, I think Synman was in Japan before wasn't he?

I also pointed out I wasn't sure, the other poster came in to tell me I was wrong but he/she wasn't sure either. Seemed a bit pointless and just argumentative to me.

I agree on Snyman, there is no way teams would not have been incredibly wary of signing him.

But I think you are way off base on Barrett. If it was the first 6 months of the season you might have a point. Leinster even mentioned that there were a large number of clubs interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

and he took less money to come to leinster and ireland

Less money than was on offer in Japan at least, but that is often truly ludicrous levels of money. He still certainly ain't gonna be cheap.

Some of these look too low to me, especially the group of established internationals.

To me everyone in that group except Alatoa and Byrne would be making 350k. Like Kelleher for example, the second best hooker in ireland and one of the best hookers in the world, is ok with making HALF of what Sheehan makes? That's a really steep scale. I wouldn't be surprised if jgp, lowe and kelleher were at 400k.

200k looks too low for jenkins. That type of player is in demand everywhere. 200k for cian healy who was a pretty important part of the ireland squad still when signed seems too low as well. He should be in the group above.

I also pointed out I wasn't sure, the other poster came in to tell me I was wrong but he/she wasn't sure either. Seemed a bit pointless and just argumentative to me.

I think you've mis-read my post; I'm absolutely sure Jordie Barrett would have been in-demand, even if only for 6 months.

Listen, i get it. It seems very important that leinster have always 'gotten a deal' on the world class players they sign for some reason. Well, actually i don't get it. Maybe its an ego thing.

I need to see actual evidence that two of the best players in the world are cheap. Its just not credible.

Mod “Maybe it’s an ego thing. “ Inflammatory.

• Advertisement

Maybe, he did accept less money to come to Ireland, is replacing a NIQ that is leaving the club so the original claim in "spent a lot of money" I am not too sure about. It's a 6 month contract instead of a 12 month contract for a player

Anyway I am glad to see him coming and good to see Ireland can attract these players to our provinces. It seems to have helped with season tickets and you would expect people will go to watch him play so would be interesting at end of season how much the signing will actual cost Leinster

I know my kids club are already planning on getting the kids to club events at games so they can hopefully get to watch him play, we do games each season but the numbers for next season seem to be significantly up and Barrett seems to be a huge pull

No harm to Synman but his injury record puts a damper on the excitement

Advertisement