Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You’re not likely to spare anyone your dramatics any time soon, so I dealt with it already by demonstrating that your dramatics are just that: dramatics.

What else she said doesn’t counter what she said in the first place, which was nowhere even close to what you claim she said. This was what you claimed:

Only last week you had a Fine Gael MEP wanting to "call out" people who in a sovereign Republic want to address themselves as 'sovereign'. Both Deputies Martin from the greens and Fianna Fail have also stated similar far left extremism…

And it was the inference that there was any sort of far-left element within FG that caught my attention, because there isn’t. FG are a centre-right political party, always have been, and in Europe they are aligned with the centre-right European Peoples Party:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_People%27s_Party

So when you claimed that a member of the party who is an MEP had exhibited far-left extremism, I had to know what the fcuk was going on there. And it turned out… well, you were simply talking nonsense. I don’t know how you managed to mangle a centre-right MEP criticising Sinn Féin (a Left-wing party in opposition) for their flip-flopping, into anything remotely resembling far-left sentiment when she was critical of them using language like ‘sovereignty’ and ‘we must protect our borders’, which she correctly identified as the language used in Brexit, straight out of the Trump playbook:

"Using words like 'sovereignty' and 'we must protect our borders', that language was used in Brexit. It's right out of the Brexit playbook, right out of the Trump playbook. I didn't think as a country we would get to this point, but we're here.

"We need to call it out and be practical and rational to the fact we cannot afford to follow the lines of Brexit or, in fact, where the opposition want us to go."

You response in claiming that you’ll be sent to the gulag for not using State sanctioned media outlets as your news source is neither practical nor rational, and your ideas of sovereignty and what it means aren’t even worth entertaining, much the same as your claims of centre-right politicians being far-left because you say so. Only difference is, and this was the only thing that gave me a chuckle - your invoking Moses, the lawgiver of Israel, in claiming that Maria Walsh is ‘a high ranking member of the establishment’, as if she were emulating Moses on Mount Sinai (they were both reading from tablets, is about all they have in common!), which is why Jews claim sovereignty over Israel.

I’m absolutely certain that wasn’t the kind of imagery you intended 🤔

https://www.vox.com/world/2018/7/31/17623978/israel-jewish-nation-state-law-bill-explained-apartheid-netanyahu-democracy

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah. And there is no current incitement to violence legislation. Another good reason for updating the law as the bill creates an offence of incitement to violence.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

There is no logic to the position that because a bill has good parts (incitement to violence), that it should be passed even when it includes spurious and bad parts (hate speech laws).

Excise those bad parts, then we'll have a law worth the name.

What proponents invariably often do with this legislation is to deliberately set aside discussion about the hate speech parts, instead focussing only on the incitement to violence part.

It's a smuggle-through-customs approach to misleadingly encourage support for the entire legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭nachouser

• Registered Users Posts: 25 spicedspud

Step 1

Oversee anger-inducing policies with generationally lasting effects on society

Step 2

Outlaw anger

Country sized populations hate this one simple trick.

• Advertisement

Not if you don't believe in the validity of the legislation.

Vladimir Putin could put together statistics on his anti-democratic laws, it doesn't mean "the law is working fine".

It means the law must be adjudged on its validity — not on how many people it prosecutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

It means the law must be adjudged on its validity — not on how many people it prosecutes.

Can you expand on this? How do you judge a law?

Like I said, it looks like it's working fine in Scotland. I've no idea why you'd refer to Putin with reference to what I shared. It would seem a bit off topic.

My point was crystal clear — the effectiveness of a law cannot be based upon how many people are prosecuted under it.

My reference to authoritarian legislation supports this point.

I equally believe that the hate speech component of this legislation is anti-democratic in that it seeks to criminalize people for a crime that cannot even be defined in the legislation itself.

That is faulty legislative draughtsmanship, and the legislation should not pass in its current form for that reason and that reason alone.

Well, it wasn't and you dragged Putin in for some reason only known to yourself. The only people who should be worried about any such legislation are those who would be right to be worried about it, because they're the kind of people who might fall under the category.

• Advertisement

Of course it can be defined by people prosecuted, the point of having a law is to prosecute people committing offences. If no one is prosecuted under a law, then it is clearly ineffective!

The crime under this proposed legislation is defined, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it isn't good law.

The clear anti-trans rhetoric on here from the incredibly obvious re-reg lad is laughable. And yet, it's allowed. shakes head

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Shoog

Its tragic to that a whole political wing are afraid that their everyday rhetoric will fall fowl of this law.

And just to be clear I don't need you to defend my freedom of speech because what you all define as freedom of speech is abhorant.

If this legislation were to pass, I would personally be unaffected because nothing I say nowhere touches the threshold of inciting hatred. So no, that's not the reason I'm against this legislation. All the reasons I oppose this legislation have been espoused over the course of this thread.

Second to that, this isn't a "left" versus "right" issue. Many on the left have expressed similar concerns to me.

I have no time for Paul Murphy, but he himself has expressed concerns about the legislation. He's about as far-left as you can get in this country. Sinn Fein, too, called for the legislation to be scrapped on the basis of weak definitions, among other things. So it's wrong to portray this legislation as some political wing versus another.

It's simplistic, and it doesn't accurately represent the range of opinions on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

If you made drinking tea illegal in the morning you'd have over 1million prosecutions. That doesn't make it a good law does it ?

If there was a sound reason for making tea illegal, then yes.

Obvs it's a ridiculous comparison because no-one will make drinking tea illegal.

Some people obviously have no issues with calling homesexuals/trans/immigrants/Jews subhuman scum. Just ordinary free speech.

The issue really boils down to the fact that defining "scapegoat" groups are the stock in trade of how some groups actually operate. Create an in group by defining an out group - galvinize your desperate base of conflicting interests around victimising an easy target group. How do you operate when your basic tool of operation is made illegal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭toothy

Well The Guardian has moved quite close to anti-trans as you call it, others would be far more derogatory. The NHS and several reviews have swung heavily back against

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

So you would say that because people are prosecuted it is effective, and thereby a good law?

Or what exactly are you saying?

941 men in Ireland were prosecuted for homosexual acts prior to 1993. Were you against the decriminalisation of that based on it prosecuting offenders?

Just be honest and say you agree with the law from your own moral standpoint. I think none of us want people abused because of who they are. But that's no reason to pretend that laws which lead to prosecutions are always good laws, or that legislation brought in for good reasons can't be used for bad reasons down the line .

There are laws I personally disagree with, that doesn't make them bad laws.

I happen to agree with incitement to hatred being outlawed and I believe it needed updating, I don't think I have been hiding that fact. The current legislation is ineffective because it doesn't do what it should, which is prosecuting people for incitement to hatred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭JRant

This shows a level of naivety that oftens surrounds these debates. A law cannot protect anyone from hatred. The very notion that it can is absurd. A law is there to punish using the full force of the State. The State can be a benevolent actor that won't abuse its power or it can swing the other way. Laws like this can and will be used for all sorts of unintended actions in the future.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

The Guardian has long been seen as a soft establishment paper and the reason it is constantly losing its core readership. It will go bust soon unless it can get a government stypend.

The law is primarily there to signal what is acceptable behaviour, most people do not follow the law out of fear of prosecution.

A law cannot protect anyone from murder either. I agree there law is there to punish. So if someone is guilty of an offence under this legislation then they will be prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Poon Tang

Guilty of what though? Seems like they'll have carte blanche to just invent offences… if someone is offended.

And of course, this will undoubtably further erode the presumption of innocence. Guilty until proven innocent, as this whole cancel culture has been pushing. We're basically codifying cancel culture into official legislation. It's a disgraceful power grab, and I hope there is a serious push back against this.

The offences are listed in the legislation.

Being offended isn't one of them.

Of course everybody is innocent until proven guilty in the courts

Laws are there to signal where the government will use its full force to enforce it in whatever way they see fit. Signalling acceptable behaviour has nothing to do with it. Everything is legal until a law is passed to make it illegal.

Exactly right, so suggesting a law is there to protect people is just wrong. In your example nobody has been protected but now we have a situation whereby you can have the state come after you because of how someone else precieves your words. People should be allowed to say they hate all white/black/gay/straight people. That way the rest of us can then know they are idiot's. You don't get rid of "hate" speech by banning it. You get rid of it by better speech.

'People should be allowed to say they hate all white/black/gay/straight people. '

They can, this legislation doesn't stop you from hating anyone.

And yes laws do exist to protect people.

• Advertisement

As I said, people do not routinely murder just because there is a law against it.

Advertisement