Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protest outside Roderick O' Gormans home - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

3 examples from 15 years ago and we could list dozens of examples from this year alone. Yeah dead right to call this out earlier as false equivalence.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

But you always do this whataboutery to deflect from far right violence as if you want to minimise it, pretend it isn't a problem, find something else to look at instead. Always. You claim you condemn but only when you have tried hard to deflect with whataboutery.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Are you seriously trying to claim that PBP picketing outside a ministers house - as putting out press releases to brag about doing so - isn’t even a tiny bit similar to what we’ve seen the far right groups doing now?

Throughout the austerity and water protests the hard left were thrilled to take on support from any scumbag that would tag along for a protest.
    Now it turns out that there was a sizeable cohort within those protests that don’t actually share many of the values of the hard left after all, but they continue with the same tactics that were once the preserve of the PBP and their fellow travellers.

Horsehoe theory playing itself out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Can't believe that this even needs a discussion tbh.

Showing up outside a persons home in a menacing and coordinated way, with faces hidden; is not a protest. It's harassment.

Doesn't matter what the cause is, or what side you happen to be on. It's not 'fair game'

I'm saying 3 protests 15 years ago is not equivalent to all the violence and intimidation that we are seeing from the far right now and this is about some sort of one upmanship to deflect from all the current far right violence and intimidation

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,529 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I've never said any of that.

You've built me up in your own mind as some far right apologist. Everything in your world is binary, which has a certain irony to it.

Glazers Out!

Oh you have though, continuously found things to go 'but whatabout the left", continuously tried to minimise threats and danger from far right.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You’re strawmanning here, and trying to rebut things I never claimed.

The point is that these tactics were happily employed by SF and PBP previously.
    It was unacceptable then, and it’s unacceptable now - but the likes of SF and PBP and the rest of the Irish hard left pioneered “direct action” style of “peaceful protest” over the past decade and a half - and the path from that to the disgusting stuff we see now isn’t exactly hard to see

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

I'm not a politico by any means but I spent a little time wondering about these incidents having witnessed various characters/agitators/"protestors" in action locally and in town over the last couple years now.

there are a few things I sense…it's not disorganised or random, not a naturally occurring direct action social protest, not a trendy social media viral fad thing, not a hobby for someone bored. Harnessing the irrational pure bats thinking of a few no-marks and amplifying it. a manufactured chaos. It seems to me there is some indirect operator behind these activities, sponsoring them. That means money, effort, time, resources spent…which only ever happens if there is a someone or something who stands to gain from it

so who or what in the soup stands to gain from all of this effort?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,605 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Except for those of us who believe In democracy, and would obviously be concerned about such intimidation tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,529 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

No, I'm just not allowing the left to get away with presenting themselves as holier than thou blameless victims. There's enough people pushing that narrative here, all I'm doing is reminding people that the far left shouldn't be entertained anymore than the far right, according to you I'm downplaying the far right, if you feel that way I don't really care.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Finglas. Reminds me of Loyalists in the North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭TokTik

There was no violence or thuggery at the protest at Rodericks house.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Intimidation is a form of violence as far as normal people are concerned. It is carried out by scumbag thugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

You're supporting intimidating people from even considering entering politics.…

• Advertisement

If wearing masks is intimidating and thuggery you might want to take a look at what happened in Newtownmountkennedy last night.

State sponsored intimidation and thuggery, backed up by AGS. Will Helen and Roddy and Simple Simon be front and centre making statements about how terrible this is for the people of the village?? Or is it only terrible when it’s their houses it happens at??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

You've stated that it's a good thing for this behavior to push people out of running for political roles. You support intimidation.

Masked men

Abusive signs

Blocking cars

All thuggery and intimidation. You support intimidating politicians you don't like.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭prunudo

until people see it, with their own eyes, in their own communities, they won't take heed.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

Does anyone know who exactly these men were?

The media have moved on, nobody has been charged.

I don't see anyone advertising their roles in standing outside the Minister's house, yet it gets plenty news coverage and Harris is wheeled out to make comments about it all being sinister and chilling.

• Advertisement

There's just something that doesn't fit right. On RTE news the next evening Paul Reynolds said it appeared to be something that only lasted a few minutes and when the Guards showed up, the protesters took everything down and went away.

No footage of goading Guards or even angry protesters, the clips shown online only lasted a few seconds.

I'd be disappointed if this is used in the future by government as some sort of example of a hate crime where they seems to be little actual evidence as to what it actually was. It's almost as if it was some sort of spoof event rather than all the other examples we've seen over the last year or so which are clearly much better examples of people demonstrating government's immigration policies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,323 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Get off those nationalistic conspiracy theory Facebook groups, you'll be a happier person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭Hoop66

But no arrests were made. It was "peaceful", remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭lmao10

lol, comical post. Anyone can see it was far right scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'm not on any facebook groups. I have eyes in my head and see whats happening. You'd be extremely niave if you think gardai aren't undercover in these groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Most communities wouldn't need for workers to have Garda protection, they would just let them work in peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭Hoop66

The reason these people were wearing masks is that, were they not, it might become very obvious that these "concerned locals" are the same "concerned locals" who turned up in Ballybrack/East Wall and dozens of other places where "spontaneous" outbreaks of protesting happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

That could have been Paul Connolly, Darragh Adelaide of pb4p, or any pb4p activist or member of Antifa or any far left head case. The hard left are like rats trying to get out of a half-filled swimming pool now. Paul Murphy of VM Tonight the night before last for example. Deranged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

And here's the far left Antifa masked up. More than likely intimidating locals with the support of Gardai all whilst trying to forcibly insert unwanted men into said locality

• Advertisement

There was an agreement in place that these people would not continue working until a meeting this coming Monday between the locals and the local representatives.

This was announced earlier in the week and seen as an act of good faith. There is no good faith left after last night.

Master of the Universe

There's a massive difference between 'Gardai being undercover' and 'Gardai being undercover agitators'

Which one is it?

And if it's the second, do you have any proof of this? Other than '**** the Gardai!' type yobbo nonsense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,795 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Does the daft lass not know the difference between a building site and someone's home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The "far left antifa". Looks more like they have been hired in by the owner. The source is Fatima Gunning a totally unbiased source from Gript. She wouldn't be into a bit of subterfuge herself would she by any chance...

It's also a building site, not someone's home a bit of a difference.

"More than likely intimidating locals" lol zero evidence of that nonsense either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

yeah it must be those guys spraying irish only on houses in finglas. yikes you've really gone over the edge with this nonsense.

Master of the Universe

I spent a bit of time reading the comments on Gript.ie's Facebook posts and it was full of that sort of nonsense. Absolutely everything was a 'leftist' conspiracy.

To hilarious levels. Just think of the mental gymnastics of 1800_ladladlad's post.

Rather than following the principle of Occam's razor, that the explanation with the fewest assumptions is probably correct, ie - in this case:

'Right wing nutters spraypaint right wing shite on a house.'

They have to go:

'Well actually, there's a leftist conspiracy through the whole government, including the Garda and Antifa, and in cases like this, Antifa are actually trying to stir up anti right sentiment by committing acts of vandalism… therefore allowing the Gardai to go in and arrest right wingers'.

Seriously. Which is more logical and likely?

Dirty tricks have always been part of the playbook across many areas of conflict, and by all sides. It's always tough to acknowledge it and in this era of wild conspiracy theories, even more so.

Most can be batted away comfortably, I agree, it's just that this one looks a bit odd.

Agreement between who? Is the owner of the site beholden to a few shouty people?

The owner isn’t moving people onto the site. He’s hiring it out to the government who are. The government is beholden to the people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

She works for Gript so it's in her interest to spin these as "Antifa".

Most likely scenario is they're normal workers involved in work around asylum seekers and don't want far-right weirdos plastering their faces all over social media.

Oh the moral rightness of the modern Left. You’re all utterly certain that you are right but as soon as any of you get confronted, out comes the hysteria and intolerance.

Words such as ‘weirdos’ and ‘scumbags’ are thrown around. When the insults appear, you’ve lost any argument.

God knows what you’re all going to be like when you get whipped at the ballot box.

Master of the Universe

What are you even talking about and who are you referring to?

I'm not left at all fyi, just anti people spouting conspiratorial bollocks.

Anyone who partakes in an act of intimidation is a scumbag. Anyone who attempts to intimidate another is a scumbag. It doesn't matter who the scumbag is trying to bully, they're still a scumbag. So stop defending them with your attempts at deflection!
    For reference, I wouldn't be part of the "modern left"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,795 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Do people speak like this in real life or just online?

Well, the people should head on into government buildings and protest there.

• Advertisement

That presumably is a goal for some of the right wing press and followers!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 spicedspud

Woould you expect political and societal upheaval based off the current status quo?

Yes.

We can all moan about the uncivil manifestation, but unless the causes are zapped faster than lightning it would simply be foolish to expect this sort of thing to go away. Rather, all logical implication is it increasing.

This country as a whole better get its act together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,871 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I posted something similar earlier in the thread. The Gardai are lying to cover themselves apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭lmao10

It's actually hilarious. These people must spend hours in the far right rabbit hole and have absolutely no idea how weird they come across to the public. It's actually at the level where you'd question if they have a mental disability. I saw a few at those protests who seemed to have mental issues. I could well see them posting that nonsense and having no self awareness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement