Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 World Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Would they not move the masters or something to saudi/China.

I'm a casual viewer(watch a few tournaments) but usually always watch the WC, wouldn't bother if they moved it to be honest as to me the WC is The Crucible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I like Hearn and all the rest of it, the sport is in a better place than it was for 30 years at least.

But, two things, firstly certain players have it in for the Crucible and keep making noise about it. Some of these players could retire next week or next year, they are not in it for the long haul now. Also, we've seen what letting the players run things looks like. This was why matchroom had to step in the 2010, because the players thought they knew how to run the tour themselves. And made a Horlicks of it.

Secondly, WST has been on a run of success and the sport is doing well as a professional tour. But for all the talk about slick, business acumen, there is still a lot about WST operations that is amateurish. They don't seem to be able to release a stable app until very recently, and the live scoring system goes down every second Tuesday, with amateur sites like snooker.org having to step in and keep people up to date with live scoring. So, WST/Matchroom could get some of their own house in order as well as issuing ultimatums to Sheffield City Council, and demanding local taxes build a venue that they get free gratis.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Jamie Jones has stolen the last two frames, 3-1 up on Higgins.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Higgins struggling to kill frames in one visit, but he's back to 3-3.

Great cue power from Ryan Day to get from Green to Brown and go 9-8 ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭drury..

Has the BBC improved the coverage

2 matches going live and good coverage overall if U can channel hop

I seem to remember it being worse than this year

The down grading of BBC4 means it has less original programming these days and more time for the snooker in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Surely you'd think Ally Pally in London getting the Worlds and the Crucible could get the Masters (straight swap) could be an agreeable compromise?

The Worlds will die a death in Saudi.

You might think so, but there'd soon be complaints that the Masters has been down graded and has limited hospitality compared to what it was. It seems they really want to go after the prawn sandwich brigade, and its the limited possibilities for this at the Crucible that is driving a lot of this talk. At the Masters now they can hit the London crowd who want to be there, see the table but still want to drink and chat at the bar, making plenty of noise. Casual followers with big pockets who want to feel they are at an event. The sort of people who chat and drink their way through gigs.

Century club in Sheffield can't allow you to do that, if want to booze it up, you miss out on being in the arena, and once the punter starts boozing, they are unlikely to go down to the front rows and sit still for 20 minutes a frame. The Crucible is too serious a venue for that sort of casual market, but Alexandra Palace has the space for it, and an endless market of paying customers who want a night out that gives them something different to do for a change. Something they can dip in and out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Hearn seems to be all about the money caught this interview on BBC for those who didnt see it wasn't buying Ken's argument about the history of the venue

• Advertisement

The pressure to leave the crucible must be all about the money

Aside from that , leaving the crucible is like shooting yourself in the foot

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The worry is that Eddie Hearn isnt a snooker fan. Barry is semi retiring at the moment and Matchroom already has a huge footing in Saudi with Eddie and the boxing. They'll fill whatever arena with rent-a-twats.

It not a capacity thing at the Crucible. Most matches have had empty seats.

If there are the odd empty seat at the Crucible it's generally not that the ticket wasn't sold. Maybe the odd Century Club ticket in the first week didn't get sold because of some of the limitations I talked about earlier. We might see empty Century club seats in the final, as the buyers are happy to dip in and out but mainly want to sit up and have a free drink in the bar.

All sessions are pretty much sold out and could be sold two or three times over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Not sure of the reasons but theres usually loads of empty seats when its not one of the big hitters playing. Particularly at night.

No session this morning.

Time for a shower and stack the diswasher.

Joke. A joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The night time empty seats are often due to train times. The time I went we saw Highins V Trump in the quarters which went to a final frame decider. We saw loads of people leave and they must have been getting public transport because why else, in the name of Jaysus, would you leave a cracking game like that?

Sheffield is a bit awkward to get to. Trains are good but they're limited at night, especially if you need to get a connecting train because its not on the main north-south line. It only really has the south line of the TransPennine express. So most people likely need a connection.

Not ideal late at night of you need to work the next day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'm really fascinated with where sport is these days in terms of the countries it is happy to play in. Be it golfers, footballers, racing drivers, snooker players or my favourite sport the cyclists, they all are perfectly willing to play, race, manage and take the cash from regimes that routinely work migrants to death/perform mass executions/limit the freedoms of women, minorities/have no free press/no democratic elections and so on. Sure these places are doing their best aren't they? Lets help them to pretend they are a free country and boost their tourism industry.

So you get a scenario where the biggest takeaway from Baz suggesting moving to China or Saudi Arabia is the loss of a great venue like the crucible. Don't get me wrong I want it to stay in Sheffield because of the history and the atmosphere and so I can travel there if possible but it's just interesting that where we are these days means that is what gets discussed and nothing about where it might move to. Happened with the golf too. Their betrayal of the PGA or whatever was the main talking point.

Ultimately I don't really blame the players I blame the likes of Hearn and the organisers of these sporting events. They put the players in a position where if they want to have a career then it's play in some country run by dictators or become a taxi driver. Similar to the demand that our Irish entry for the Eurovision should boycott the event over Israel when really the organisers should just ban Israel from taking part.

Anyway back to the snooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Hearn is right. The biggest tournament of the year should be played in the biggest and best venue with the most prize money. It's getting to the point where "history" is starting to hold the sport back. The German Masters venue has a 2,500 person capacity, the Crucible is about 950, it's becoming nonsense. It's time to move on.

You've said a lot there without saying anything much

Aside from the obvious about low capacity at the crucible

Parrot is so useless , always has been

Soundbytes is all he comes out with

• Advertisement

Ronnie looks totally on it. Hendry calling it that he's going to walk through the field this year.

Realistically, a Trump semi final is the big challenge in his way, maybe Trump could get the better of him this time, he is due a big win against him. Nobody saw the collapse against Luca Brecel coming last year.

Dunno about some of what Hendry says about ronnie . Always bigging him up lol.

Ronnie is capable of switching off when he's up against it

Don't think you're ever guaranteed a procession with him

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I see Rob Milkins finger twitching on his bridge hand. Haven't seen much of that in recent years. It was very fashionable back when I started watching in the 90s. I even adopted it as an affectation as a child.

I remember BBC doing a filler feature on it back during a world championship back in the day.

Yeah common sense, good business and facts aren't for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Milkins' body language is always funny to watch, particularly when he misses something, with all the cussing and swearing and pulling of faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Milkins stole that one. 5-3 down overnight instead of 6-2

Classic Milkman, looking down and out, then total clearance to take the frame by a point. He’ll settle for 5-3 considering how poor he was at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Ronnie looked absolutely Bulletproof last year until Brecel and then collapsed in that match. Now I know Brecel ended up winning the world but Ronnie definitely had the beatings of him in that match.

I think we'll need to see someone standing up to Ronnie to determine where his games at, no offence but that was a light practice for him yesterday and today. Might as well have been down the club.

Maybe state your case with facts rather than soundbites like your doing again above

We all know the crucible has limited seating capacity so you're stating the obvious

You made some other waffle about the wcs should be played in the "best venue with the most prize money"

How does that rule out the crucible ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Stealing a living that lad, every year. Adds nothing as a pundit, just the same clichés and never says anything that might be considered in the slightest way controversial.

Advertisement