Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Tork

Glad to see the right decision was made here. With the times we live in today, you never know what way these decisions will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

I'm also pretty certain that if someone lunged at me with a large knife I'd shoot them as many times as I could to stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

I was just pointing out what you said was incorrect. Shoot someone six times and you mean to kill them. It's not rocket science.

You can be sure the solicitor is rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of a court case, they always keep a tub of glee handy.

• Advertisement

Personally, I wouldn't get close enough to someone with a knife that they could lunge at me with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's not just the media.

Even now far-left extremists are refusing to respect the decision of the DPP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

How am I incorrect? The Garda was not prosecuted, if there was intent to kill, they would have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It wasn't incorrect. The garda didnt want to kill him. The garda wanted to stop the threat that george nkencho presented to the life of the gardai present.

Personally, I wouldn't lunge at someone with a knife if they had a gun to shoot me with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MrRigsby

The only injustice here is that guard having this nonsense hanging over him for so long . Absolutely ridiculous. Another guard is getting done over those burglars who got barbecued on the Naas road . No wonder they have trouble recruiting Gardai if that’s the way they are treated for dealing with violent criminals

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭supermans ghost

You’re quite the hero type, aren’t you. Unfortunately the garda in question is charged with protecting us from the lunatics that you would run a mile from.

Correct decision, the only thing up for debate is why it took so long to clear their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Should not have taken this long to reach this conclusion. Clearly a case of killing him as a last resort, when a knife-wielding lunatic lunges at you there's no other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,827 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No, they meant to stop him from killing the Guard he attacked and from also going to kill his family.

They didn't want to kill him, they had no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Thats not what the poster said.

"No chance the Garda in question wanted to kill a person that day"

You know ....

When he got out of bed

Had his breakfast

Drove into work

Got the call to support a disturbance

For hours tried, with his co works, to talk this person down

tried non fatal means to restrain him

Tried to protect the public and this man's own family from danger

But the when all else failed and he was left with no other option fired on this man's to neutralise the immediate treat, but you can still say.

...No chance the Garda in question wanted to kill a person that day.....but his job meant he needed to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

Three years of this hanging over the Guard's head. btw if anyone's curious about the mentality of the people calling for the Guard to be arrested or worse, here's some speeches from the protests: https://mega.nz/file/CJphTYSD#i8av4PEVeuewvfLE_paoqPendd50aMqfXFXXtlP7Ee8

https://mega.nz/file/mVJTDLpC#5ZtDQVad2O2JSNiRXka6i_m8iehSr7r49p5-PevCDoM

Apparently Ireland was involved in the slave trade so we owe reparations…

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Water2626262

Sad that this happened and maybe an indictment on mental health services in this country.

I don’t understand the criticism of the gardai here. Do people forget that they still are paye workers? Of course there is a risk in the occupation but I don’t believe anyone should have to put their body on the line (I.e. attempt to disarm him). I see nobody questioning whether the Garda budget is sufficient and why they have so little equipment to deal with this in an alternative manner. That being said not sure if there are non lethal options to pacify an agitated individual with a knife.

Also if you tried this is any other country the outcome would be the same. If anything you might have been gunned down within seconds.

There is also zero reflection on the shop workers. Earning minimum wage and having to experience a very traumatic incident and then go to work the next day because unlike higher paying jobs there is next to no paid sick leave or consideration for therapy etc. I’ve worked in retail myself and had to go through some very intimidating incidents and they do have a lasting effect on you nevermind having a man with a knife come in. You are expected to be a social worker / security guard at times and zero support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Delighted with the outcome but ridiculous it took that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Ruth Coppinger associating herself with the family.

She really doesn't want to get elected again I presume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That being said not sure if there are non lethal options to pacify an agitated individual with a knife.

Of course there is, someone holding a knife or weapon the only conclusion cannot be execution.

Our police force are highly trained to de-escalate situations. On another day or situation the weapon is dropped and no one is shot. This type of event with this outcome is extremely rare in this country and we should be all thankful for that.

The Guard that shot him would have to account for each of the 6 bullets individually, which they did. The killing was deemed lawful. Just because people don't get the conclusion they want doesn't mean there is a conspiracy.

I feel sorry for the lad that was killed, a person with acute mental health trouble should get mental health help not 6 bullets, I feel sorry for his family who must be traumatized by the whole event, it's only natural that trauma turns to anger.

I also feel for the the guard that killed him, taken someone's life can have a devastating effect on the person who did it.

Extremely sad case overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

The extreme left continue to play the far right bogeyman card. It's becoming like a comedy sketch now, never mind the capitalising on a family's grief.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Correct decision, they tried non-lethal options. The far left's politicisation of this incident from the jump was disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

Bizzare how this case even went on this long.

Compare it with the recent Sydney mall knifeman who lunged at the Cop Amy Scott who shot him and was hailed a hero by the prime minister. The Guard was hailed as a murderer by race baiters like Mick Barry and Ruth Coppinger who were looking for a George Floyd moment in Ireland.

You shot someone six times you intent to kill them. That doesnt mean he woke up that morning and decided over breakfast he was going to kill someone either though. Whether the gardai needed to get themselves into a position where a man with a knife could lunge at them is the real question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭Hoop66

What would you have them do, then? Let him run around and lunge at someone else?

It's awful that someone was killed, but the alternative was possibly more people being injured/killed. The Gardai have a duty to protect the public, this is why they "get close enough" to people with weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭alias no.9

When a person is carrying a knife and has already used it to attack a shop assistant and threaten others

This person is refusing to put the knife down and is attempting to enter a house

There are persons unknown inside the house and they do not appear to be welcoming in the person wielding the knife

Given that it's fairly basic, what's your next move given that you're duty bound to protect the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

Considering the man had stabbed someone in a shop...

Who says the Garda had concerns for his own safety/what relevance has the suspects distance from him?

Whos to say he didn't have concerns for the life of the person just inside the door in the video?

It's not as if this man dropped a knife and was shot after. He was brandishing a knife, refusing to drop it and there were people within arms reach of him.

He had stabbed someone already. If he lunged in a millisecond and stabbed another and killed them, would there be blame for not taking action?

Non lethal options were used first, and still, he brandished a knife around.

To come along and comment so easily, I highly doubt that guard is waking up fresh every morning with the decision he took given the circumstances he was in.

Some of the stuff you see in America and so on is insane and I'd be the first to condemn it. But trying to make this our equivalent is bonkers imo. Completely different scenario. It's a hounding of someone who was placed in a situation that could have easily worsened. And given all the circumstances, I can see why he made the decision he did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement