Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beyond The Pale Festival - 10th-12th June - Glendalough

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

The 2for1 of Soulwax + 2ManyDJs as well as James Holden are excellent bookings.

Love the recent James Holden album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Solid stuff from former Electric picnic bookers. Will do the business now that body and soul is gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭RINO87

Is it bodytonic, or former bodytonic people that are behind this? Loved their area at the early EP's.

It’s Declan Forde and Dave Parle (both formerly of POD/electric picnic).

Declan was lead Booker for EP until Festival republic took over properly around 2014/2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭RINO87

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Landers11

What is the site like compared to body and soul? Is there wooded covered areas? TIA.

The main festival area is just a big open field more or less.

There is a wooded area where they put a few DJs on late at night last year but it's not close to how integrated the woods are into Body and Soul.

I had a great time at it last year and will be there again this year - but the site is more functional than artistic compared other festivals like BnS, ATN, EP etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Definitely lacked the magic of B&S or ATN last year

How did the site manage the rain last year? Mudfest by Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Are you allowed leave the site and go back in each day? Lineup looks great, and would be my first time going. Close enough that could leave each day and go home.

Yeah but you’ll not be able to bring booze in really

Mud levels were manageable - not really an issue from what I recall

ATN was a different story…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Even though it lashed rain on the Friday night it was dry then after that and actually very warm and sunny on the Sunday. I don't think there was much mud at all on site apart from maybe some of the main walk ways. I was sitting down on the grass at the main stage by Sunday!

The layout does look very practical alright. Looks smaller than B&S site. Would have a good number of shops, food and bars. Was always happy with B&S options. Will be doing BTP this year regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭TenPicnics

Unless the layout has changed a lot, going on last year the shops, food and bars you mention are very thin on the ground. It wasn't in the same league as B&S at all (whether the slimmed down or original B&S) for a few reasons apart from that. If it's laid out like 2023, you'll be disappointed if you expect a beautiful venue, with different areas separate from the main arena. Given the improvement in the size and strength of the line-up this year (IMO), I hope overall the festival is upping its game for those going. After last year I decided it didn't have near enough 'festival' for me compared to the other established weekends, but I hope it's a success and continues.

For me, quality of line-up, (smaller) size of crowd + soundness of crowd was enough to offset the lack of 'festival'

More 'festival' would be welcomed though alright...

Do BYP usually announce more headline acts as the festival gets closer or would the current line up be it pretty much?

Probably another 20 or 30 main stage acts to announce. Wouldn’t be expecting much more in headline act category

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Looks like I could be working this as my usual Body & Soul weekend is missing this year, so here's my list of must see's.

Thievery Corporation (always wanted to see these guys and they rarely tour Ireland)

Kruder & Dorfmeister (I know its a DJ set can't remember if their set was a DJ set or live at Body & Soul 2019)

Soulwax / 2ManyDJs (will give them a gawk)

Poolside (Could be an interesting experience, thank you Kelly-Anne Byrne for making me aware of them)

Courtney Barnett

Gilla Band (Absolute dynamite at ATN 22)

The Sugarhill Gang

Tourist

James Holden

808 State

Will give Marc Rebillet a gawk.

Alvvays

And I probably not see them all but looking forward to this first splurge to BTP.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Will be my first BYP after 5 or 6 B&S's. Id imagine the usual B&S crowd will attend this festival now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭whelzer

100% agree, there was rain on the Friday night at BTP but it was ok, not too much (as in I cant remember) sludging around at all, ATN was shite, a complete mud fest and they did sod all to try and help (maybe they couldn't) but a few bales of hay here and there might have perked up the spirits a little. Hence we are doing BTP and ALS (see thread) this year. I'm loving the BTP line up so far;

Kelly Lee Owens, Richie Hawtin, David Holmes, Parra for Cuva, Rival Consoles, Kruder & Dorfmesiter (cant believe they are so far down the billing, seen them headline B&S maybe 2018, they were great!), Trojan Soundsystem & James Holden are my top picks this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kennytheboy

Hi all. I'm looking for a campervan pass to BTP. I have a hard copy campervan pass for ATN if anyone interested in a straight swap?

They will probably become available again. Saw it on their facebook. You will have to be quick when they come up.

Does anyone know if you can put up a yawning with your campervan? I know body and soul allowed it. Anyone ever pitch a tent in the campervan site? Usually the fire marshal told people to take them down on the Friday of body and soul but it got to a stage where there was too many and he gave up.

• Advertisement

Tents etc. not allowed afaik however I was in the campervan field last year and no sign of enforcement

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭taramurf

Campervan field was massive so loads of space around each van. Lots of awnings and tents up. There didn’t seem to be any checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭taramurf

Extra campervan tickets are being released tomorrow morning at 10am

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Ruanmcg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭jellybeano

Good question. Gonna check this out later 🔊

Edit: it’s well worth a listen. Lovely edit of Riders on the Storm

Post edited by jellybeano on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭crl84

New Mount Kimbie album is excellent. Usually not sold on their albums outside of a few standout tracks, but this one is very cohesive.

https://open.spotify.com/album/1QZRsLKs258z4wowfNzJLK?si=BKHQAgMXQguHLCEGLZRgLA

Mount Kimbie have travelled a fair distance from the sound of the Crooks and Lovers days (an all-time favourite album of mine).

Expecting to really enjoy them at BTP - was blown away by their live act last time I caught them (at a pre-Covid Picnic)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭dublingirl83

just noticed "Sugar Hill Gang" aren't on the line up poster anymore. wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭GentleHumour

I think BTP posted on their stories last week on Instagram that Sugarhill Gang are no longer playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Does anyone know - does the camper van area have standalone toilet/shower block?

It definitely has its own toilets. Not sure showers (was able to do this in the van)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭TenPicnics

No showers there, a few toilets, think there was one of those big yellow basins with taps for water, but can't swear to that.

I would imagine that no main acts are left to be announced?

orbital replacing Soulwax who are cancelling live tour. 2 many djs still playing.
    another 10 acts added including Kara Jackson

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Ruanmcg

I can’t for the life of me understand why the bookers haven’t gotten a single local Irish DJ on the lineup. There are so many talented lads and ladies whacking it out on a weekly basis, throwing parties, running collectives etc., in an extremely hostile environment as well. Are the bookers just so out of tune with grassroots dance music scene? Seems like it, it’s frustrating though seeing how little they’re willing to support the people that keep the wheels running year round

• Advertisement

Great on Orbital but any idea why Soulwax cancelling tour? They were excellent at the Picnic a few years back.

looks like bTP was only June show. Probably didn’t make sense financially or logistically

There will be Irish djs added in the next month for the smaller areas

Where did ya see orbital added (and Soulwax gone)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

BTP Facebook has a list of new acts. Orbital, Houseplants, Kara Jackson the bigger names.

Is it a picture? Can you post here for us as I don't have a Facebook.

Edit: i see there's a day by day breakdown on their website. Can't wait for this

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭phizzledizzle

Are we expecting an early finish on the Sunday again?

yeah planning application submitted to Wicklow council says music over by midnight on the Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Kara Jackson a great addition. Royal Otis nice poppy guitar stuff, good vibes in the sun.....Orbital etc. Nice diverse bill there now alright.

Advertisement