Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** things about the 70s,80s,90s...that don't happen now!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

Anyone mention Germany army surplus coats that were everywhere around 84/85?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Picking up lumps of coal off the street , that had literally fallen off the back of the delivery van.

Checking "empty" cigarette boxes on the street in the hopes there was a couple of cigarettes in the box and the box was dropped by accident.

Bringing both the coal and cigarettes back to the mother!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭standardg60

That was videoplus, which was pioneered on Tomorrow's World, which told us all what 'the future' was going to look like.

Before that you required a degree in rocket science to program a VCR to record something in your absence. So many times I arrived home excited to watch something to discover I'd failed to execute one of the 26 steps required correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Yep that was it but often the start or end could be missing if started late

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

VHS, vinal, cassette ... you just knew you were going to buy something that'd wear out.

Luckily CDs came out when I could actually afford to buy music, and then DVDs, but to be honest I never really watched a movie more than once, so I rarely bought movies, rentals was perfect for DVDs, and VHS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ruth...less

I knew a family who were renting a tv up until around 2003. They must have been renting it since the 80s!?!

Post edited by ruth...less on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

Never liked CDs for the simple reason that any small scratch or smudge on them and your perfect music experience could be tarnished with skipping and so on. Cassettes, although of lower audio quality and you had to rewind and fast forward them, they didn't have those kinds of problems. Plus you could get recordable cassettes which made it possible to have mixtapes and capture things from the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Having to use your pocket money to buy Cyril the Squirrel savings stamps instead of sweets

Millennials..

Why was that woman throwing a hippo into the fire when Ulster Bank left?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Duke of Schomberg

Children wearing callipers.

Those boy/girl-wearing-calliper collecting things (Spastics Society?) that always seemed to be outside seaside gift-shops in Britain - were they a thing in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,767 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Henry was the Ulster Bank mascot, Cyril An Post

Yes, here in in England at my Grammar School there were separate Lower and Upper Sixth Form common rooms - Upper Sixth allowed smoking.

Calling disabled people by completely un PC names.. handicapped, spastics, mongols.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Was it first national that had the beehive club?

Well, its something I've not seen for many, many, years. I do apologize for any offence caused, and I hope that your daughters are now doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,767 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wasn't one local to me but it matches their logo anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Writing band names with tippex on schoolbags, textbooks, lunchboxes, etc…

Grabbing the flapping open door of a K-series Dublin Bus while on rollerskates,

Birthday parties involving a trip to a local fun factory which was usually run by gangsters and supervised by stoned teenagers who were not that much older than us,

Crispy Pancakes and other yellow-pack frozen foods of no nutritional value whatsoever were considered a treat,

Looking forward to weekend trips to Rathfarnham/Stillorgan/Dundrum (old one) shopping center,

Not learning anything from teachers who hardly ever came to class and constantly smelled of stale alcohol,

Anyone who liked something that everyone else didn't like was gay…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I remember having a disc man useless thing it was as it constantly skipped unless you carried it in your hand carefully. RE recording from the radio was it true radio shows used to run promos/ads over the start and ends of songs to intentionally ruin it for people recording it a they saw it as piracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,259 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

We wouldn't buy crisps at a particular "auld lad" pub because they'd be well out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,906 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Would have been perfectly acceptable calling people with mental illnesses retards.

Calling people "gay" as an insult.

Nightclubs, especially ones in rural towns.

Almost always shíte, killed off by late bars and locals who didn't like noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I had a TSB Fox money box, weird little key to open it underneath

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

This didn’t happen in Ireland at least but what did happen in some instances were particular DJ’s loved the sound of their own voice so would talk over the start of the song or the end of the song.

If you were recording off the radio, the countdown shows where they played many of the songs in the top 30 that week and most of the top 10 was the time to get the tape recorder out.

If you were dead posh in the 70s or very early 80s , you had a stereo with radio and tape deck and could record the radio playing via your tape deck- but for most people, you had the best radio you could get your hands on and placed your standalone tape recorder up to the speaker and pressed record just at the right time- also, you didn’t dare breathe or make a sound as it recorded 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I'm sure these have come up, any way

All the Honda 50s

Rust bucket cars

When my oldest was young a birthday party was rice crispy buns, Crisps, sandwiches, games and running around the garden.

Rural night clubs a friend on a weekend away ended up on in one about 10 years ago last gasp of them I'd say. They were playing proud Mary and Missippie!

This is a great thread.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Pubs and night clubs being absolutely packed to the hilt to the point it was an effort to squeeze to the bar, toilet or outside (my first experiences of clubs and bars were in the 90s). Surely health & safety issues there with overcrowding. Add smoking to the mix…how did we survive at all?

Already mentioned by others but I remember coming home stinking of smoke despite being a non-smoker. Everything had to go straight into the wash and the effort of having to wash my hair again the next day cos the smell of it was making me sick.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Add on to the above - when the smoking ban came in and all the pubs smelled of Guinness farts instead of smoke. Not much of an improvement 🤢

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

What about Radio Luxembourg………and tryin to get reception for the top twenty on a Thursday night..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

Border crossings. I grew up on the continent, and I still remember waiting for what felt like hours at the Suben Autobahn border crossing between Austria and Germany because every vehicle was getting a thorough search. Or later, when my family moved to Prague, having the car you were on essentially ripped apart by annoyed customs officers was not an uncommon occurrence. It was not fun!

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

Lads selling bootleg cassettes of Dublin gigs on O'Connell bridge.

Advertisement