Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Just looked up the lineup. I'd love the majority of them at electric picnic!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The minute you said Kerbdog I thought of Therapy, just checked both have updated their YouTube in the last 2 days.

So maybe it's Therapy playing EP, they're not on the forest fest lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Both would be great. That's the very least we should expect, most of the best of Irish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Never seen kerbdog... Would love that booking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Not that I know of, except they've recently posted on Facebook that they're only doing stand alone shows and Forest Fest this year.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

Apologies for jumping in on the thread where I don't belong but curiosity got the better of me as I thought the lineup was announced. For someone who is one of a few that pretty much invented drum & bass that's a ridiculously low fee. He does Glastonbury quite a bit in an early morning hours slot but I never managed to see him myself unfortunately even though I've been a devotee of Good Looking Records & Moving Shadow for decades at this stage.

LTJ Bukem and Photek (Temple Bar Music Centre in 1998 was unreal) were at the very top of the pile - although there is still a lot of quality d&b still being released - Samurai Music especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭rubick

Bukem was on IICON last year I think 1.30am, and is on the Glade Main Stage this year. We missed him on IICON because we did Leftfield (Park)>Helena Hauff (Lonely Hearts Club) and were at the other end of the site ffs. Hopefully be able to catch him in Glade this year as they shut down around 3am.

I usually try to do at least one 5am+ finish at Glastonbury, and this past few outings I've found myself at Blind Tiger in Unfairground for Uncle Dugs & Friends - always some key rollers and it's a cracking wee tent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Will be checking Bukem out at Glasters hopefully. Fully agree with the headz on 'ere looking for some more breaks representation at EP. Loved Nia Archives last year. Wonderful welcoming and poz vibe in that tent.

Oooft. Is the New Order/LCD Soundsystem Glasto/EP double on again like 2016?

24 hours until disapointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

New Order with Johnny Marr and Roisin Murphy would be a great day out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Having a look around at festivals around the same time and many of the "WOW" acts are doing standalone shows so I don't suspect any major surprises - bar Pulp obviously if it happened. Hopefully we get a handful of these (haven't checked if any are available on EP dates or what their budget is like incase anyone gets too stressed over it!!)

Pulp
    Sleater Kinney
    Big Theif
    ibibo sound machine
    Mannequin Pussy
    Personal Trainer
    Nation Of Language
    Lemon Twigs
    Jamie T

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

One of the resident ITKs pronounced Sleater Kinney as a no quite a while back and to be honest, from looking at their dates, I'd agree, not happening

Day

Year Location

City

Country

AUG 15

2024 Vodafone Paredes de Coura

Coura

PT

AUG 17

2024 Astra Kulturhaus

Berlin

DE

AUG 18

2024 Paradiso

Amsterdam

NL

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just listening to the 2 jonny's podcast in the car, I'd say we'll see them playing Sunday. They're in Galway on the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

they would win this years "i'd rather sh1te on me hands and clap" award.

Yeah I realise my whining has been intolerable at best on here but c'mon. The two johnny's. Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Not my genre but I’ve seen Bukem and Roni Size at Notting Hill Carnival and would love either at EP. Nia Archives filled that tent and went down a storm. As several here have repeatedly said diversity is key. Those among us who dislike the music of Dermot Kennedy & Noah Kahan can live with them as long as much of the undercard remains eclectic and challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Yeah I eventually got it to work after an extended series of catpcha tests. Tbh there's not much in the article anyway. Main points seem to be that it's appealing too much to celebrities/influencers (including wannabe versions of each) rather than fans of the music, there have been several high-profile technical issues over the years for big performers, and the prices at it are absurdly high (which is true tbf, assuming the prices in the article are accurate and representative). But at the same time it still concedes that many major musicians do still like to play the festival and it appears to still be profitable despite not fully selling out its enormous capacity. Didn't really give that much that would lead me to think that it's about to end anytime soon or even that the problems highlighted are unique to this year's event.

Why was it that Oxegen ended? This lineup, while having a few big-ish names, looks like it was a pretty massive step down from the previous event both in terms of the volume and star power of the acts performing. You can say Calivn Harris and David Guetta were pretty big names and then Snoop Dogg and Pitbull on the next tier, but looking back at the previous lineup in 2011 it's kind of insane how many acts were there who could easily have been headliners at a show like EP, or who EP would struggle to ever book. This poster is honestly a big step back from major mainstream acts compared to before, not a step toward it, and really looks like it's the result of enormous cuts to the budget for booking artists compared to prior years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭endainoz

I think the official reason given was that they couldn't find suitable headliners any more. Probably loads of other factors involved. It's possible punchestown didn't want it there any more and they've had very little there since, bar a few smaller events that were to coincide with a race meeting.

Had sunstroke gone ahead in 2020 perhaps things would be different. I think it's a perfect venue for a no frills rock type festival alright, those kind of events tend to be in sort of soulless venues like racetracks, or military airfields such as rock am ring etc.

I do believe there's a gap in the market for such an event in Ireland again, I'd say something holding it back would be the extortionate booking fees that legacy rock acts are commanding these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Fanirish

oxegen lost millions in the last few years and mcd had gained control of EP in 2012 so pivoted to concentrating on that and standalone shows

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

saw Lemon Twigs at the picnic a few years ago, maybe 2018, they were muck.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Also, Oxegen had deteriorated into a hellfest from neglect and mismanagement. Kids were stabbed - one fella in the neck. Reputation straight into the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I was there for the first half of it, thought it was good! Have released decent albums since.

I warned everyone a couple of months ago, a few acts will come from the MCD Galway Airport gigs - TDCC and the Waterboys also.

Lemon Twigs was Sunday in '17. Incredible day. Skatalites, Chaka Khan, Pretenders, Aaron Lee Tasjan, Aldous Harding, Kiwanuka, Elbow, Parquet Courts, Duran Duran, Car Seat Headrest, Pond.

Gotta agree. I thought the Lemon Twigs set was incredibly poor.

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well Orbital is out of the Picnic line up anyways, they've been drafted in to replace Soulwax at Beyond the Pale.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

It's a banger year to see them, currently performing the green and brown albums. Hopefully the sound won't cut out on them this time.

Hartnolls being relied upon to bolster these 2nd rung festivals in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Those chord progressions in Impact (The Earth Is Burning) though.

"It's a cry, a cry for survival…!"

Advertisement