Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shortage of Catholic priests.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Isam has its controversies... Muslim grooming gangs preying on young white children in the UK, Muhammad himself having sexual relations with a minor, normalising child marriage in the middle east for centuries, halal meat processing i.e. keeping the animal alive while draining it of blood, how many Irish animals appreciate that, but sure they have the left wrapped around their finger anyhow so they get a free pass. But damn don't get me started on those pesky god awful Catholics...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭yagan

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

The person who said that regulations were guidelines was a member of Opus Dei.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You ever been in or even near an Irish abattoir? Do you think that somehow our livestock are more grateful than that of muslims for what happens to them?

Of all the things to be critical of Islam over I will never understand a heavy meat eating culture hand-wringing about halal practice

• Advertisement

Not to mention what happens to horse and greyhounds in the name of amusement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

None of the organised religions should get a free pass. They are all very strange/dysfunctional organisations with backward concepts and "beliefs".

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I love when Catholics give out about Scientology.

It’s all woo! No religion is exempt.

His brake dance moves were the bomb.

Edit to add, I think the term bomb is outdated and that dope is what the kids say today.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,359 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not sure "the bomb" is what you want to see with regard to religion.

(There - ya see?! Islam innuendo and I'm not scared!)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Reminds of the Stewart Lee gag about British nostalgia for the good old IRA, because when one of them blew themselves up it was an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭randd1

Never mind the priests, what'll happen to the churches themselves?

There's two near my area that would be great for concerts or plays for example as they apparently have incredible accoustics. Art galleries maybe for the fancier ones? The odd one might be able to hold small games of indoor soccer (insert Jesus up for the cross joke here).

All joking aside though, it's probably going to become a thing in the next 10-15 years what to do with them.

You'll probably need a baptism cert before you can perform....

Converting old churches into homes has been going on for years already, although mostly buildings of smaller denominations like Anglican, Methodist and Presbyterian. I think there's a garage up around Galway where the pit was converted from a crypt.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Thanks to Michael Woods and successive spneless governments, we have given that institution state enforced financial support - we've paid for about a billion so far.

Even though the Constitution says that the State may not endow any religion - paying its abuse debts isn't endowing it???

At least if there was a church tax you could opt out of it. Instead the state has taken tax from you and me and everyone else and effectively given it to that church, without ever seeking a mandate from the citizens to do so.

Meanwhile that church continues to make vast tax-free sums from selling prime urban sites.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

same old shíte again and again

The nation that gave the world Guinness and the breakfast roll is not going to embrace islam ffs.

This thread is about the RCC but the determination of some to continually deflect and whatabout is very apparent.

Would be nice to have a critical discussion on Catholicism without people- who.more than likely aren't Catholics - saying, 'oh but Islam!....' like they're the only two options in modern society…

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

^ Sam Harris after meeting Ben Afleck would also probably say it would be nice to have a conversation about Islam without the whole "Oh you cant say one might be worse than the other!" :p

Amazing how bent out of shape these keyboard warriors get about 1.5% of the population (and what proportion of that 1.5% are only cultural muslims?)

• Advertisement

So what happens when Mo walks into ireland and Brad Pitt says "D'ya Like Dags?" and Mo says "well no Im quite the Cynophobe me - but whats the marrying age around here anyway"?

Aren't middle east birth falling too?

If it weren't for Indian expats a lot of middle eastern countries couldn't function.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@SupaCat95 threadbanned

Cynophobe? I was thinking along the lines of 'fear of the colour blue' but of course it's dogs, from Greek kyon (dog, as in 'canine') so yet another "it's C but it really should have been K" word

Like Kinema 😊

I love dogs too much to go Islam :) Considering what I imported from Canada :) Which annoyed Wibs :)

What kind of figure wants to hate on dogs ? :)

Well we got a new near-neighbour recently with a day-long whiner/barker. Big dog stuck in a small suburban garden all day. That's not the dog's fault…

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, drop the dogs talk

Examiner has a piece today about last years marriage stats. 35% were RCC, 32% were civil, humanist 8.1% spiritual union of Ireland preformed 7.9%, and the rest were other religions.

I've been to a few humanist weddings, but never spiritual unionist of Ireland so idea what that's about.

It didn't mention how many ceremonies involved divorced people as they might still identify as RCC on the census but are obviously restricted to one RCC wedding.

Advertisement