Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭IrishOwl...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the previous regime under Edwards him and his team shortlist candidates based on statistical information and player profiling to match. They then take that to the management team to discuss and debate who to go for, I don't think the manager has any say in what players to look at from the outset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Nobody's saying Endo is the future, but you lose 4 midfielders last summer all in their 30's now and a 5th who is 29 and have a 6th in his 30's and the most experienced midfielder at the club injured all season…..and that's a lot of experience to replace. Nobody has ever described him as a long term solution. There was a bid for Moises Caicedo in the summer that was likely to be that sort of player but the reality is that there were too many to replace at once and the money needed to be spread on new midfielders, 3 of which are under 25, so bringing in 1 older player, an international captain, wasn't some long term strategy to build the team around, it was mitigating the loss of experience in the most crucial part of the pitch.

Talk to any fan and they'll say he's been fine, worth the outlay we paid, and they won't say anything about him being the player to build the team around

Edwards isn't the director of football anymore, he's the CEO. It's rumoured that his main role is now finding a second club for FSG to buy and grow as a footballing group (barf). It's Richard Hughes now who is director and will be leading recruitment, Dave Fallows is back too as chief scout.

We don't yet know what Hughes' strategy will be and how involved he wants the manager.

I am speculating that new manager will have a lot less influence than Klopp, but not zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Id rather lose Grav and Jones than Endo tbh.

We probably won't lose any of them bar Thiago though.

We need 1 or 2 goal scorers and a CB at an absolute minimum.

Thank god there'll be the CL allure/cash for the summer.

Gravenberch has a higher ceiling than Szoboszlai for me. He's going to be an immense player.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Too much of it to go into detail on to be honest. I think the practical reality is that wholesale changes like that don't really happen in football. It would be way too destabilising on top of the manager leaving.

If I had to pick one thing though, it would be letting Salah go on a free next year, if there's an opportunity to bag 75-100M for him in the summer from Saudi.

Fair enough, I'd prefer to keep him for next season I don't think he's done yet, his numbers this season aren't bad at all I think it's just recency bias over last few games thinking he's finished at this level. He's hugely dedicated to his fitness and training, I would love him to stay next season.

And I'm not saying wholesale changes, I'm saying make those players available for transfer, some might have to stay or be loaned.

Adrian, Matip and Thiago are all out of contract. Nat Phillips and Rhys Williams are much further away from the first team now than they were a few years ago (Phillips only has 12 months left on his contract). The majority of the younger players I mentioned are no longer u21 eligible next season and so if we keep them we need to name them in the PL squad (most are homegrown) and we don't have enough space for them all, i.e. Beck, Morton, Jaros, van den Berg, Carvalho, Koumetio (all these players were u21 and so didn't take up a squad place before)

Trent, van Dijk, Salah, Tsimikas all with 12 months left on their contract

So you really have to make decisions on a lot of players because of contract situation or squad eligibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭steve_r

I think the future for Núñez and Díaz at the club is the most uncertain.

Díaz to be fair has shown great heart recently but I get the sense he is playing for a move. That might suit everyone - cash in while the value is high.

Núñez's form has dropped off a cliff. I think defenders and goalkeepers have figured him out. As much as I like the guy, he is incredibly wasteful.

Separately, I hope the club reviews how players are being brought back from injury, and players getting injured quickly after returning. Szoboszlai and Salah in particular have struggled with form after injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭IrishOwl...

For all the talk of chaos around Nunez, he's far to easy to defend against. For a period he was causing problems for defences because he was drawing 2 defenders in every time due to his physicality and movement. Now defenders have copped that he's very limited once on the ball so they're happy for him to go for it unchallenged and then deal with him from there.

So many times now you just the centre half drop a yard off him and Nunez doesn't know what to do if he can't roll him or knock him out of the way. He ends up just trying to force angles, passes and shots when they're not on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

We can talk about Nunez's terrible finishing.

We can talk about Salah hitting a wall.

We can talk about Szoboszlai looking 10% of the player that he was at the start of the season.

We can talk about Konaté being unable to stay fit, and his form suffering.

We can talk about the club's injury record.

We can even talk about Klopp looking like he's effectively checked out - his energy sapped, his manner subdued, and his general demeanour in press conferences getting increasingly more resigned.

But the bottom line is that every team has its cycle. And this team has reached the end of its own. The team hasn't been revitalised properly. Szoboszlai, MacAllister, Elliott are all a bit samey. Endo is a passable DM, rather than the Rice/Rodri and proper Fabinho replacement we needed. Gravenberch wasn't needed. You could argue Gakpo wasn't needed. Nunez isn't a normal Klopp profile of striker. the general profile of players recruited in the last couple of years has been unbalanced, and we've ended up trying to rely on the final fumes of greatness from VVD, Salah and Robbo, the continuing greatness of Alisson, and the budding greatness of Trent.

The club has been meandering behind the scenes for a while, and Klopp's greatness had the team in a position it shouldn't have had itself in April, when, unfortunately, the actual level of the squad has come through. We aren't as good as City and Arsenal. We all know it.

The club does need a reset. I think Klopp is actually correct to leave and let someone else do that, even though things will likely get worse before it gets better again. But we need to be at peace with the fact this is the end of a particular era - an era that has brought me immense joy and pride as a supporter. I've said a million times that nobody could've done the job he's done with this particular club at the particular time he did it.

I'm utterly grateful, and it's time now for a new cycle, whatever chaos that may bring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Ah the illusive ceilings.

We'll have to check back on that one in a few years.

Ive at least seen a half season of output from Sobo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Augme

It doesn't really matter what players leave or stay, what matters is the players we sign. We desperately need a top level DM and a top level striker. If we get those two, the squad is in a fairly strong position.

The only players I would hate to seeing leaving are Macallistair, Aren't and Allison. I also wouldn't be disappointed if no one let, except the ones out of contract, once we signed a DM and striker/forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/s/KpzTvW2ATg

Good read on Slot:

“It helped that we came to believe very much in his way of playing soccer. Everything he said, we accepted blindly,” Linssen says. A psychological trick Slot uses is to make the opponent small and his own team big. Olympique de Marseille had “better, bigger and stronger players” in the Conference League semifinals, says Linssen. “They were actually at an advantage in everything. He didn't give that feeling to us for a moment. We really believed in ourselves. He instilled that feeling in us throughout the season and leading up to that semifinal.”

His match discussions are “next level,” says Omar el Baad. “After a talk like that, you knew there was a very small chance of losing. He knew exactly where we could make our move.” In terms of perception in the discussion, Slot learns a lot from Henk de Jong in this at Cambuur as an assistant - that the team goes onto the field full of energy and conviction.

However, his instructions “can sometimes go to your head,” says Calvin Stengs, who played under Slot at AZ. Because of him, he has come to understand soccer better, has become tactically smarter, Stengs says. “Arne can convey it in a way that everyone gets it.” But: “Now and then you do have moments: so, shut up for a moment.”

The ball does not escape him for a moment, at a training session in late December. Slot has the Feyenoord squad playing six against six on a small pitch with four goals and four goalkeepers, under high pressure. “1.5 minutes full press!”, Slot shouts. Dressed in a red training jacket, whistle at the ready.

“Team with the possession has to be much better with the ball!”

“Check your shoulders!”

“Kill the counterpress!”

Enthusiastically, at a quick combination: “That's one touch!”

He is close, leading emphatically, his voice roaring across the training field.

A day later, on a rainy afternoon in a practice match against Go Ahead Eagles, at the training complex, his instructions sound loud again.

“Hey hey hey, do the extra work!”

“Read!”

“Stay active!”

He does the instructions to substitutes himself, where on many teams it is done by assistants. Sitting in the dugout, he leans forward, never backward. Never completely satisfied.

Norwegian coach Karl Marius Aksum, who has also analyzed many top coaches, becomes impressed with the level of coaching by Slot at a Feyenoord training session. “Intense, with a good flow. He was very precise in what he wanted from the team.”

He is very decisive as a trainer. Dennis van der Ree, who worked with Slot at Jong Cambuur and was an analyst at Feyenoord last season, also noticed this. In Friesland, he was officially the supervisor of Slot, who was trying to get his UEFA A-level education. “But Arne is a very dominant figure, I'm a bit introverted, so the relationship was soon that he was the head coach and I supported him. But when we were busy, it was really together.”

Slot now hands off training forms more often, but to a certain limit. “If he thinks something is not right, he is right on top of it to correct it,” Van der Ree said. “That can sometimes be difficult for people who are giving the practice form at that moment. But that's part of top performance.”

Like when training with the substitutes last season at Feyenoord, led by one of the assistants. “He does always want to be there, to see how the substitutes are doing. There were times when he took over part of the training, because he thinks it should be better or that it can be done differently.”

Van der Ree experienced something similar himself. During a meeting in which the opponent was being analyzed, he said something just in a different way than previously discussed. “Then he takes over right away. It wasn't annoying to me. The fact that he is so sharp makes me sharp, too.”

Slot sees it as a pitfall that he wants to “keep reasoning through almost everything,” he says in With Open Sight. Like why he arrives at a lineup. He tends to “want to explain everything,” to players and staff. “I think sometimes I get a little carried away with that.” For example, he can wait just as long with the lineup in the hope that he “gets another hunch” that turns out to be the best option.

One consequence of his dominant style of leadership is that he involves his players little in tactical plans. “It's not that I can think along in anything,” said captain Kökcü. Nor is that necessary, according to him, because they “trust the coach blindly.”

And I've seen more than that from Gravenberch.

Sure who knows for sure, if either become elite it's a good thing, but I'm happier about the Gravenberch signing personally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭decies

we had it in our hands and we bottled it both on the pitch and off it with team selections call a spade a spade they were good enough till st Patrick’s day .

Gravenberch has all the physical tools.

But until he learns some tactical discipline, and can be trusted, he won't be elite.

Agreed. He needs regular gametime in a set position I reckon. One of those players who is more hurt than helped by being able to play multiple positions.

A Dutch manager coming in could be interesting for him if it happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

This right here is nail on the head. Myself, I've questioned some of the business done over the past few years and I think a lot of the poorer decisions have left us where we are. Klopp has kind of masked some of the questionable transfers, but even he has his limits on what he can do.

Spending 70m on Szobolzi who was a very good wide player/No.10 and hope that he was going to take over from Henderson was a mad gamble at the time and I feel it has back-fired. Plenty questioned the Gakpo and Grav signings at the time and I think those questions still remain. Even MacAllister, good and all as he has been, is neither a 6 or an 8 within a typical Klopp system. Although I do think MaC is an excellent player and worth building a new midfield around.

The squad is now in a really weird place, we have some excellent players, but we also have a lot of players who will be looking elsewhere for life after Klopp. Too many of the same same type players as you mentioned and then players that just need to be moved on. My one fear is Allison may look for a move this summer and that will be an impossible void to fill.

• Advertisement

in reality, they weren't.

you cannot come back from deficits the amount of times we did this season and trust for it to continue until the end of the season. it's just too much.

the Newcastle and Fulham comebacks earlier in the season were lunacy, for instance.

and then the key moments late in the season were too big for a squad that nobody ever thought was title-winning quality until we happened to find ourselves at the top of the league. no shame in it. but it's the reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Given Slott is meant to play a 4-2-3-1 I could see the three as Diaz (Gakpo), Mac Allister (Elliott), Szoboszlai (New Player) assuming Mo is gone with the backups in brackets.

Then a top DM to play as one of the 2 with Endo being backup. Then one of Jones, Gravenbach, Trent or Bajcetic beside them.

Could be interesting to see how it works and it probably gets more players in their preferred positions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

How bad has Konate been the last few seasons.

He has all the physical attributes [well up until lewin bullied him lastnight] but he doesnt have the know how for a top quality CB.

Add in the fact he cannot pass the ball and has a terrible touch you have to wonder what hes good at?

Ive never rated him, Matip coming rapidly towards his career end totally outplayed him early season keeping him out of the team, then we have a 20 year old doing the same thing.

Carragher whom i dont normally agree with is bang on we ned a new CB.

Konate is very good when he gets a run of games and is in a rhythm. Unfortunately this rarley happens and he's generally an uncoordinated mess for a few games until he gets up to speed.

I don't think he can ever cut it as a top level defender because he simply cannot keep himself out of the treatment room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Salah, Van Dijk might leave but I don't see big changes with a new manager coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yes, every player in the current squad is rubbish and have always been rubbish and every one of them is going to be sold this summer…..everyone for sale. everyone leaving. The defenders are all rubbish and can't defend and all of the attackers cannot score. and nobody will ever improve, ever.

Nice theme to the thread there.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Literally nobody has said this or said anything even close to this.

William Pacho being linked by the same guy who broke the Richard Hughes news a few months back.

22 Ecuadorian CB playing with Eintracht Frankfurt. Seems to profile as someone who is comfortable on the ball, very strong on ball recoveries but doesn't seem too strong in the air, only winning just over 50% of his aerial duels. Profiles similarly to Tobido who will probably move to a bigger European club this summer.

Indeed

I wouldn't let Mo go unless it was mad money but I think it will be.

Diaz and Nunez have to go imo.

We will need another CB regardless of Konate whether or not Konate stays.

There have been posts in here the last day or two advocating the sale of Trent, Konate, VVD, Robbo, Tsimikas, Gravenberch, Jones, Gakpo, Diaz, Nunez, Salah. The only thing we are missing is the using Gomez & Elliott stuff. That's 11 to 13 players, in addition to those already leaving after their contracts expire.

Well yes, everyone has opinions on who the weak links are in the squad.

But nobody has said we're rubbish and all the team needs to go. You can't gather up a list of names provided by a myriad of different posters and try to frame it as a collective argument being put forward, that's a bit unfair.

The common theme that seems to have the most consensus is that either of or both of Nunez and Diaz need to go, and that we need reinforcements at CB.

• Advertisement

I think thats something has to be looked at. I feel this has been the biggest problem for Klopp the last few season. He has been simple been presented too many players that do not directly suit his system or style of play.

When you think about it. Nunez an old school traditional centre forward, signed to replace a man who was anything but an old school traditional center forward.

Gakpo a wide left striker signed as a back up to Diaz? I actually don't know, but he has played more games in midfield than he has wide left, he was also tried as the Firminho replacement for a while last season when it was obvious Nunez was not.

Szobo a wide winger often No.10 signed to replace a work horse type midfielder in Henderson.

McAllister I suppose was signed as maybe Wijnaldum or Thiago replacement, but again is more suited to the No.10 role and he's definitely not a workhorse midfielder ala Georgie.

Endo, last minute signing to be fair, but signed as Fabs replacement, but took months to get up to speed which led to McCallister taking over the role. When as I previously pointed out, he's more a No.10 than anything.

Gravenberch was touted as the long term young succesor to Fab. But it was very obvious from the get go that this was never going to be the case and I suppose he maybe a future option as an No.8 if he improves.

Then you have the likes of Elliot, who was the young hot prospect signed to be Salahs future heir, but he has transitioned to be a make shift No.8 who again looks like he would be more suited the No.10 role.

Then you have players like Carvalho who I'm still not sure what the reasoning was behind his signing.

It's like the transfer policy for the past 3 season has been to sign players who suit a certain age and price profile, but little research was done to see how this players actually work within the manager system. It's actually a miracle Klopp has gotten us to this stage of the season, still in contention for a title up until last night's game.

How is it possible that 13 players from the first 20 are all weak links in the squad?

A young CB was always going to have to come in to replace Matip. On top of that now, there are posters wanting to sell Konate because 'he's had a bad few season' which is a very wild hot take. Do people not remember how great he was in 21-22 run in and the CL final, or even again this season when he was consistently starting and a lynchpin of the team that was winning every week. Whatever happened Konate in March is clearly affecting him as he has had to have his minutes managed ever since and he can't get the rhythm up. Should he have been rotated more in January-March to protect him? Yeah maybe but the rotation options were limited with Gomez having to play LB.

Diaz has actually been a freak this year in terms of his minutes played. Diaz, Elliott & Quansah the only players to not miss a game through injury, although Diaz did miss games when his parents were kidnapped. Diaz the only senior player there so a lot was expected of him. There's posters trying to get digs in at him saying he wants to leave and playing for a move etc. He is the only forward consistently putting in a big effort the last few weeks and lads trying to knock that. Where is the effort from Salah or Nunez for 90 mins?! They were doing massive runs for 120 mins in Wembley and then playing the next weekend, or doing it again at Old Trafford and still making themselves available for every game. Diaz has put in the hard yards this season. Scored 13 goals as a winger. Decent amount, could it be more, yes. But he's not being asked to be this big goalscorer for the team. He's a pure winger. Just because Mane played LW and scored more goals from there doesn't mean that Diaz has to. Mane was a forward playing wide, and was moved away from the wing as Diaz came in, which people forget. People forget how much Mane stunk out that wing for a period before Diaz came in.

Literally not one single person has come out and said this. You come on here to give out about sensationalism with a quite sensationalist statement yourself!

Obviously posters will have certain grievances about certain players. That's only natural, but you can't combine every separate opinion to form it as the overall narrative of the forum.

An old school centre forward is definitely not how I'd describe Nunez to be honest.

When I picture old school centre forwards, the player today that reminds me most of one is Harry Kane. Not super skilful on the ball, no fancy flicked finishes or whatever, but can play as a bit of a battering ram, tends to be in the right place and the right time, and most importantly knows how to put the ball in the net when given a sniff.

Nunez problem for me, or his downfall, is he's not particularly great at either side of it. He's a terrible, terrible goalscorer. And his work on the ball also leaves a lot to be desired, often making the wrong choice.

It is fairly telling that people always refer to how he runs around a lot when trying to talk about his contributions to the team (which is to say, Nunez's best contributions come when he doesn't have the ball and isn't directly involved in play).

How is it possible that 13 players from the first 20 are all weak links in the squad? 

It's not. But no one person thinks that there are 13 weak links.

There are a number of weak links. Different people have different opinions on who those weak links are, and maybe 13 different names have been thrown about, some mentioned a lot more than others.

There's lads in here saying that Konate has been "rubbish for the last few seasons". He's only been at Liverpool 3 years. "Add in the fact he cannot pass the ball and has a terrible touch you have to wonder what hes good at?"

And that's happening to Trent, Diaz, Nunez etc etc in detail across the forum. You know well it is. There is a list in the previous page trying to sell 14 players, loaning out a further 5, while bringing in 3! But yes, my post is sensationalism.

And yet the majority of the players that posters want sold are the key players in the squad.

Every time there is a loss, there is this rush for players to be sold, or posters saying 'I told you he was never good enough'. And it's happening nearly every other player in the squad now. If they weren't good enough, they would be turfed out ASAP by the manager or sporting director.

How many players that weren't good enough have Liverpool carried over the last few seasons and just kept playing them knowing that they were not good enough?

And I'm not talking hindsight, which players would you have said at the start of this season (and previous seasons) were not good enough to play regularly as a starter for Liverpool? A lot of people in this thread would say the likes of Gomez (who has had a great season and stepped up from his reserve role very well), Elliott (young lad, reserve player, big impact from the bench) etc. So how did that turn out?

That was my post. I don't see how it's sensationalist.

Here's the breakdown of players I mentioned selling:

• Tsimikas - this one was a mistake on my part I thought his contract was up in 2025 but he's signed a new one that I missed so I'd now remove this from my list - apologies
    • Morton - 2 league appearances for us a few years ago - no longer u21 and I can't see us using a homegrown spot on him
    • Carvalho - same as Morton, not of the level and no longer u21
    • Scanlon - no league appearances, still u21 so no issues if he stays but nobody cries if he leaves
    • Koumetio - few disasterous loans, no longer u21 and needs to take a squad spot, don't see how he's kicked on
    • Jaros - no longer u21, was on loan in league of Ireland and now Austria. Can't see how he's good enough
    • Nat Phillips - was once a good backup but hasn't kicked on, out on loan and 12months left on contract - would you keep him and give a squad spot?
    • Rhys Williams - same as Nat Phillips - no longer u21 and needs a squad spot, hasn't kicked on, should he get a squad place?
    • van den Berg - same, not u21, never played for us in years
    • Musiałowski - not kicked on, another like Scanlon that is low risk to keep but nobody cries if he goes
    • Beck - another who will no longer be u21 and needs to take a squad spot next season
    • and one of Núñez/Díaz - just my feeling on this that a new manager would want to sell 1 of them and use to fund new players. I'm on the fence about it

I also mentioned selling Misciur, Ewing, Oscar Kelly and Onanuga but that was also a misreading of their contract status I think they're all staying so I edited them out of the original post - again all are academy and none have played first team for us.

You can see from the above that the majority of these players were not in our PL or European squads this season and a lot of them were u21 (so 'free' in squad terms) this season but need to take a spot in the squad next season.

So I don't see how this list is sensational in any way? If you want to keep the likes of Phillips, Williams, Koumetio, Beck, Jaros, Morton and Carvalho you need to get rid of others anyway to make space in the squad so what's the issue?

You want these all to stay next season?

You are making it sound like I'm trying to get rid of half the first team! I've also said I'd renew Trent, renew Virgil and keep Salah in the squad. These are the important players. The above list is not a sensational overhaul we barely used any of them this season!

I think you're straw-manning to be honest.

There are only a few players I think where strong desires for them to be sold have been expressed. The main one is Nunez.

Is he a key member of the squad? Yes, but the fact that he's a key member of the squad is part of the problem. For a player of his profile / cost etc, he should be contributing much more than he is. The fact that such a key member of the squad is so limited as a player is exactly why he should be replaced.

Nunez is the answer also to your last question, by the way.

I understand some people want to see him succeed, and they might genuinely believe that next season he'll suddenly learn how to score goals and stop losing the ball, but I don't see it, and for me it would be best for all concerned to cut our losses.

For what it's worth I think our squad changes will look something like this. I can't see this mass sale taking place, unless some ridiculous offers come in and players have to be replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Spr1ngsteen

Application for Europa League Final tickets successful.

Great…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Up to the Man Utd FA Cup game, I genuinely thought we win at least one more trophy.

For whatever reason, that game seems to have had a massive psychological impact and we have been very poor since.

It was only just over a month ago, shows how fickle the football world is.

In a few weeks, even though the ending of the season was extremely disappointing, overall a domestic cup and top 4 with a new midfield for me is a positive season.

Loads of positives with the likes of Bradley and Quansah who the more I see of him, I am starting to think he is better than Konate, definitely with distribution. MacAllister is top class. The likes of Szobo & Gravenberch are very young with loads of potential.

It will be a really hard task for whoever comes in but the club is in a great position on and off the pitch, personally I think we need a top DM as you can see the impact Rice has had, we need a new LB and in terms of CB we have 4 good CBs so if we get a new one it is likely to be at the expense of moving one on.

Salah is a tough one, he has been so poor in the last few games that it is hard to believe his twin brother is not playing but he is such a legend and I would love to see him set records with us….all will depend on what he wants with one year to go and what the Saudis' would offer, I doubt Edwards will be letting him run out his contract if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭Talisman

When the dust settles. Pledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If VVD and Salah want to try and hook on with a CL contender with Klopp leaving, happy to let them go btw. 33 and 32 respectively, and key slabs from an era that is now over and in the past. Equally, if they want to stay that's okay too.

There really isn't much time either way, so a clean break and clearing down the wage structure a bit as part of a rebuild could be no harm.

1 person has claimed Konate to be rubbish, I countered that by pointing out he's a quality player when he has an extended run of games, but he's does actually look dodgy and suspect his first few games back from injury and he's injured a lot! I don't think there's any un-truths in that.

Again the list, 1 person put that together and 80% of what's on it was either players running out of contract or players that will be shown the door this summer regardless.

The Trent and Diaz situation there could be something too, we have no idea what these players are thinking now that Klopp is moving on. I think Trent will sign on because he's obviously Liverpool true and true but Diaz I'm not 100% will.

tbh most of them I would not even have included as they are perma-loan players or will be used as a moneyball type investment to generate funds down the line like Solanke was (Carvalho, van der Berg for example). When players start the perma-loan cycle like Morton, Philips, Rhys Williams etc, well the writing is on the wall. Morton will have a good career at a Championship club so there might be a decent fee recouped there.

Beck is somewhat of an outlier. Does he step up to the first team or will he get moved on? It's a big pre-season for him. I'd be interested to know what recommendation the coaching team will pass on to the new coaching team of what they thought of him from the time they had him in January this year. Tsimikas doesn't really come across as someone who tries to leave but as he is a reserve, and good enough to start for a lot of clubs, I wouldn't stand in his way if he wanted to leave. That then starts a cascade which affects Beck, and/or potentially a new LB. Tsimikas is a good reserve to have IMO, and seems content with that role while not on massive wages, so I'd keep him myself. Unless he asks to leave.

On the Diaz/Nunez stuff, look if people want to sell Nunez I understand it. But I don't like the idea of selling 1 of those in addition to worrying about Salah. You have to commit to retaining 1 if not 2 of those 3. Jota can't be relied on for fitness and that just leaves Gakpo. Similar to LB, I think Salah's situation dictates what else happens. If he is leaving, then you can't sell Diaz or Nunez IMO. If he stays, then you can decide what is happening with the other forwards but essentially you have to replace Salah in 2025 either way. So if you sell Diaz or Nunez this summer, you have to replace them with 2 players within 18 months. If you sell Salah, you have to replace him with 1 player. I'm leaning towards keeping Salah myself but it's hard say no to £100m after the last few weeks! A new young RW is needed on the horizon though. Ideal situation is he comes in this summer and then steps up as a main player eventually and can phase in/phase out.

The misses certainly are frustrating and he has hit bad form at the worst time, as have other, but he has had a massive contribution towards our season whether people admit or not.

Liverpool have scored 131 goals in all comps. He scored or assisted 31 of them. That's 24% of all goals scored. It's a fraction above 25% in the league only. Only Salah is higher with 37 goals & assists, with a much higher percentage in the league at 35%.

We are reliant on Salah in the league games, still. But that happens when we play towards and through Salah so it is to be expected.

Right but if you wouldn't have included most of them why are you suggesting I'm being sensationalist for suggesting we get rid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Bringing back the 1st team players looks to have upset the rhythm of the team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭klose

Klopp has twice named the united cup result as a reason to our slump, must have been some fallout in the dressing room after it you’d imagine, he looks absolutely defeated too and I’d say he’d wish he could walk away now, wouldn’t be surprised to see him not return to management tbh.

Advertisement