Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shrine / Grotto opposite the Glen Oaks

Options
  • 25-04-2024 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for any information anyone might have concerning the Shrine / Grotto opposite the Glen Oaks (former bar and hotel) at the junction of Bishop O Donnell Rd. and Rahoon Rd.

When was it built?

Why was it put there?

Who put it there?

Is it dedicated to anyone?

Why there's no plaque there to give any info on it?

Or indeed, any information relating to it would be great.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

There is an old cemetery there, and there was an old church There exist similar grottos to Our Lady at other places in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Yeah, I'm familiar with the old graveyard. That Google picture looks like it's on Davis Rd. Shantalla next to the Red Lane.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There's been a lot of weird posters and imagery stapled to the benches over the past few years. Extremist religious stuff with some nasty hate speech. Some of the locals removed it a few times. I've seen individual offerings for people etc, candles and rip pictures. Deliveroo lads are fond of a sit there too LOL! A friend said it's an old pagan sacred site (there's a very old well close by, half in a back garden I think), but couldn't find any concrete info.

Advertisement