Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Roscommon are dire, going nowhere with Davy Burke. Mayo a bit better, but once again no All Ireland, they are not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭soap1978

Cavan Tyrone is a great game

• Registered Users Posts: 68,538 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Two teams if they lose have only themselves to blame. Iffy teams in comparison to Donegal or Derry but a great game all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭soap1978

Hope Cavan come out and push up on the Tyrone kick out again definitely working

• Registered Users Posts: 68,538 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Cavan are poor if they slow the play. Lethal when they move the ball quickly. Far to ponderous over getting the equaliser. Tyrone lucky today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭supernova5

that Burke guy is the biggest spoofer in county management

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Are the All Ireland series group fixtures the same as last year?

Week 1 - Seed 1 at home to 3, 2 at home to 4

Week 2 - Seed 3 at home to 2, 4 at home to 1

Week 3 - Neutral venues

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Schedule of Games

18-19.05.2024 (Sat/Sun) or 25-26.05.2024 (Sat/Sun)
    Round 1
    Seed 1 v Seed 3
    Seed 2 v Seed 4
    The games involving the Connacht & Munster Provincial Finalists will be played on
    the 18-19.05.2024.
    The games involving the Leinster & Ulster Provincial Finalists will be played on the
    25-26.05.2024.
    Seed 1 & 2 will have home venue.

01-02.06.2024 (Sat/Sun)
    Round 2
    Seed 3 v Seed 2
    Seed 4 v Seed1
    Seed 3 & 4 will have home venue.

15-16.06.2024 (Sat/Sun)
    Round 3
    Seed 1 v Seed 2
    Seed 3 v Seed 4
    Games will be played at neutral venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭threeball

Even looks like a spoofer. Can't stand listening to his interviews either. No idea how he got that gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Gael85

In fairness Burke had a decent start to his managerial career. Won u20 AI with Kildare, county title with Sarsfields, guided Wicklow to promotion in 2020 and won Ryan Cup with NUI Maynooth.

Post edited by Gael85 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Roscommon have regressed a lot since last year. It's a poor reflection on Davy when 2 of his backroom coaches left after one year, and they are not performing as well with the replacements.

Cavan.....what a chance to win it at the end!! 2 v 1 and he fists the ball over the bar to equalize, huge mistake. Score the goal and game is over, take the point and Tyrone should have won in normal time, and did win in extra time.

If you can see the white of the goalies eyes, you gotta go for the goal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Updated based on recent results and updated odds:

1st seeds:
    Derry Donegal
    Dublin
    Kerry
    Galway Mayo

2nd seeds:
    Armagh
    Louth
    Clare
    Mayo Galway

3rd seeds:
    Tyrone
    Donegal Derry
    Roscommon
    Monaghan

4th seeds:
    Meath
    Cavan
    Cork
    Westmeath

Derry & the loser of the Donegal/Tyrone game will be the teams everyone wants to avoid from pot 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭HBC08

13k for Mayo v Roscommon in the championship on a sunny day?

It was half full.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That was from looking at the terrace at the start of the match, which was pretty full.

Behind both goals looked close to full as well.

I was there myself.

Sideline terrace was full as you'd expect, behind the goals less than half capacity and there were plenty of the new seats below the stand available too.

Lovely day out in Hyde Park with the weather, was a throw back to old school championship days.They really need to sort out the toilet situation but I believe that's next on the list.

Not too interesting for posters to read but anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭megadodge

Half full?

The current official capacity is 18,890.

Yesterday had 13,967. Which is well over 14k if you include those that don't have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Compo82

I'd say there was more there, I had a ticket and it wasn't even scanned going in.

Really going a bit off topic here but that 18k capacity was when the lower half of the stand was cordened off for a few years before being redeveloped.

It was fully open for the first time on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭harpsman

so if you do well in the league you’ll probably do well in the championship at some point in the same 3 year cycle 😂. There is no correlation between league and championship form other than the fact the best 2 teams in the country will do the league and championship double every now and again and teams that get hammered in every game in the league are probably going to struggle in the championship. Certainly teams like Donegal Derry and Mayo have followed up league wins with disappointing championships

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭harpsman

As much as Derry don’t need another Anglo Celt Cup winning your province does give a much safer route through to the Semi final. Failure to win the group means you’re out 3 weeks in a row if you win your prelim qf, and having to face a group winner who’ve had a 2 week rest. If you got a bad draw you could have to play Kerry and Dublin just to get to a semifinal. That nightmare scenario is much easier avoided if you win your provincial championship and are seeded 1.

• Advertisement

Bearing in mind that I've been in the Hyde when there were 30k crowds and nobody was crushed or injured, the whole capacity reduction thing that happened at least 10 years ago now, is still a bit of a mystery. I haven't heard of the 18k capacity number being increased, though I cannot for the life of me see why not. The Health & Safety jobs-for-the-boys industry has a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭threeball

This year they might be better off. Going to war with Tyrone, after a one week break, given the Mickey Harte story and then facing into Armagh two weeks later before heading in to a pot where they would be very unlucky to get two teams equal to them is probably a better route.

I'm from Roscommon but I can't agree here.

There was next to zero investment in the Hyde for the guts of 30 years, or worse still, we built a new stand halfway to the county home that's a real bags of a job, and did nothing else. The Hyde is still a shadow of a good ground, even in Sunday last a man would have to pick his steps through urine and dirt to go for a slash, and you have to wade through puddles in the concourse on a wet day.

Re crowd, capacity, it's set not by how many people you can get into a ground, but by how many you can get out in a fast and controlled manner. This is the limiting factor in the Hyde, the turnstiles and gates etc.

History is full of grounds that there was no problem at u til there was a problem, eg. Hillsborough, Obrox, Bradford etc. She'll we wait until there is a disaster here in a sport ground before we take on best practice.

One thing the poor souls who were unlawfully killed in the Stardust left is is a legacy of awareness around fire safety and The importance of exits etc in public spaces. They have helped save countless lives in my lifetime I have no doubt. We should not let their memory be lost by cutting corners around crowd control in public spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I heard that Derry were drinking on their holiday/ training camp in Portugal. Harte had to go home 2 days early and the players went on a 2 day bender. Donegal were running on beaches and Derry were drinking on beaches. It wouldn't have happened under Rory's management.

I'm sorry, but dragging Stardust into this discussion is a real cheap shot.

There is no possible scenario in the Hyde that could ever end up like Stardust. None.

You have way more room behind the stand than there is in McHale, Pearse, Tullamore, Portlaoise, etc. and on the other side there's a training pitch. To say there isn't ample room for people to disperse shows you've been brainwashed by the H&S industry. There's loads of room. Loads.

Thanks for your expertise, I'm sure you're qualified and you'll sign off that you have a way of completely clearing the ground in the requisite time (I think it's has to be vacated in something like 8 minutes). Contact the HSA, the fire officer and the county board and I'm sure they will be very grateful for your help.

It's all about pinch points and proper concourse spaces, and you have to allow for people of limited mobility (kids, OAPs, those with disabilities and in for example wheelchairs etc). Maybe we let them burn, or sacrifice the likes of them in a crush???

There was lots of room outside the disco in Cookstown a few years ago and it didn't prevent a tragedy happening. Bring up whatever conspiracy theories and tropes you want, but you're talking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭spakman

The concourse as you call it, is freshly tarmacced, the muddy puddles are gone

Behind the stand? I wasn't over that side. Good to hear if that's the case.

You're the one spouting complete and utter nonsense!

"Let them burn". Oh really? What exactly is there in the Hyde to burn? Concrete? Steel? Very short green grass? Yup, all highly flammable in the world of those who see danger everywhere.

As for a crush, where and why would a crush occur, with all that space to disperse in?

Only somebody with a vested interest could come out with such emotive scare-mongoring in order to make a point.

And with the week that's in it, to bring the Stardust tragedy into this is an absolute disgrace! You should be ashamed of yourself.

• Advertisement

Read this slowly if you're struggling.....

It's not the open spaces that are the issue it's reaching them, it's the pinch or crush points that are the issue.

If you're emptying water through a hose into a bucket, even if the bucket is empty it doesn't matter if the hose feeding it is pinched. Crowds are funny, if some emergency happens they panic, and these pinch points cause the problems, places like stairwells, gateways, turnstiles and thay type of thing. You can have 40 acres out the back, but if a panic starts for whatever reason, it's no good and unless the thoroughfares are designed and maintained properly there will be problems.

There are many examples of something stupid spooking a crowd, and when it happens and casualties occur they tend to happen in big numbers.

Let's not wait until there is a tragedy here, these rules are here for good reason. Sure I drove home from pubs for years after a few pints and without a seat belt, these new fangled rules around drink driving and seat belts are political correctness gone mad really, you're right!

Advertisement