Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/spotlight/arid-40367387.html

Plenty of articles like this out there.

Of course other EU countries would want mnc headquarters there instead. FFG always get criticized for wanting to be the 'good boys of Europe', I'm no fan of theirs, but I think it's more to do with us being in a position where there's no choice.

I think we should move away from the tax-haven model we've been operating for years for various reasons, but it's not something that can happen overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭twinytwo

i dont necessarily disagree but our corporate tax issues has nothing to do with us opting out of the migration pact.

Immigration is an issue which has potential to cause huge disruption in the EU, especially with far-right parties close to power.

I think they'd use what ever leverage they can to ensure countries like Ireland sign up.

I don't think they don't have that same leverage with Denmark.

I think most people would support the pact anyway in a potential referendum but there's a risk it becomes an anti-establishment vote with terrible consequences a la Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Yeah...had a look there on Twitter and by "all kicking off" it would appear that this means a handful of people banging car bonnets and shouting "black and tan", "traitor" and "you're not Irish" at workers / Gardai.

If you go to work and you have people there screaming this stuff at you, and you know they are posting it online, I don't think it's all that hard to see why a guy would cover his face or even conceal their license plate to avoid being identified.

But of course, the protesters are the ones being intimidated.

More Garda time wasted…

How are they expected to ever have a chance to try and deport anyone 🤷

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

It's the other way around.

Take the United Kingdom. When voters felt that they weren't being listened to on immigration, the share of the vote for the BNP increased — not because far-right politics was popular but because they were the vehicle the voters used to get their point across. At that time, the BNP was the only party talking about immigration. Of course, the BNP is tainted with white supremacist views, too, so when a much more moderate vehicle came along, in the form of UKIP with Nigel Farage at its head, the BNP went into terminal decline. It wasn't needed anymore. Many voters just used the BNP as a form of protest, not because all of them were closet white supremacists.

We're seeing the same problem play out, now on a pan-European level.

Many millions of voters — not fascists — feel that their voices are being ignored on the immigration debate and the only voices that are speaking to that issue happen to be far-right or forms of right-wing parties.

Support for far-right parties wouldn't even exist if established centre-left and centre-right parties listened to voter concerns.

If you ignore voter concerns, don't be surprised where the voters will go to get their message across.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭prunudo

well I'm sorry you were disappointed by the lack of violence and aggression that the media would have you believe protesters outside ipa centre's are engaging in.

Peaceful protesters being lied to and forceful removed by the gardai and the balaclava wearing thugs they want us to be nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

My point is though that the referendum campaign itself would be ugly. Immigration is pretty much the central plank of the manifestos of the far right, so such a referendum would be fought in an atmosphere of bitterness and rancour - no government in their right mind would hold such a referendum (we saw what happened in the UK with the Brexit poll, i.e. families and friends falling out with each other - an Irish immigration referendum would be ten times nastier).

The problem being that these far-right and anti-immigration parties are, just like UKIP, offering a bundle of lies.

There is no easy answer to immigration, hard-borders don't come without consequences and will likely never be effective without getting to extremes, especially in the EU with our geographic proximity to so many global-south countries.

If there is a shift to the right on this basis, it's not going to last very long, but it's coming at a particular bad time with Europe facing significant threat from Putin, and the need to properly deal with immigration and climate-change etc.

For Ireland I think it might actually be good in the long run to see how much we need to have proper political identities and to move away from the various types of populism and civil war politics we're afflicted by.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

Irish political parties just following UK and European trends over the last 20 years. Quite understandable being the farthest western located nation, things have always taken time to arrive here.

Expect to see them all now uttering comments a mere 6 months ago, they'd never have dared.

‘Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others’ to quote the great Groucho Marx, and they will do so, with no shame whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,337 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Yep, the do gooders were very opinionated when it came to Britain and even America when Trump was in office.

They're saying nothing now when it's happened in Ireland.

And they've decided to finally shut up about other countries and their problems with refugees.

Agreed.

I mean, you only have to look towards Covid and travel restrictions to get a taste of the opposite end of the spectrum to freedom of movement and the ability to cross borders. The measures introduced during the pandemic turned out to be some of the most effective measures (probably the single most effective measure) ever introduced in terms of actually significantly lowering migration to developed countries.

The difference of course was that all of those countries had a singular aligned interest to implement the same policies at the exact same time — something which is very hard to do, especially in the mosaic of borders that makes up Europe.

That's not to say that you need Covid-style travel restrictions to tackle migration, but there does need to be an acknowledgement that the very things that make migration easier are things we actually like to have on-demand for ourselves — flights, boats, trains, international travel generally. So there is a question for people to weigh up as to how much a radical shift in direction on migration could / should involve downsides for us all. This is something that the migration-sceptic parties and media don't like to talk about — whereby tackling migration can only ever be painted as invariably beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

The European Union should have managed its external borders better.

What we enjoy within those borders is neither here nor there when it comes to managing inward migration from those external borders.

Angela Merkel's reckless comments in 2015 didn't help, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,369 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I don't know, they lost a lot of support for staying quiet or siding with FFG on immigration and the two failed referendums, Mary Lou has become very hated, might be time for a leader review and replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

And not forgetting backing the "hate speech" bill as well and now they are trying to row back from that as well. They are only making these moves as now people see them as just another version of FF and FG.

If far right parties end up in power the current political parties have only themselves to blame.

They have no leverage over us, us opting out would not even register with the EU. They have far bigger issues - ie Poland.

If you actually believe people would currently, you are as out of touch as the current government.

You cant compare the two - Brexit was always going to be **** show because you had no way of ever knowing what you were voting for until long after the vote.

There is literally no far right in this country, a few crazies yes but no actual far right. Its funny as the far right only became an issue when the government ran into trouble. Come the next election, will there be a far right party elected no? Will there be any far right politicians? No.

Not holding a referendum because it might be "ugly" is not really a reason and undemocratic. The government have no mandate to make such a decision on our behalf - we negotiated an opt out for a reason. If the pact is as robust as you suggest, the government should have no problem laying out the facts/ benefits. Which they currently cant and/or wont.

Also taking into account McEntee and O'Gorman have been caught out either hilariously misinformed or out right lying about the recent referendums - would be very hard to actually believe them this time around.

Yeah but it's one thing to say "they should have managed their external borders better" and another thing entirely to consider how that can actually feasibly be done and the sheer level of effort and co-ordination that is going to require.

Of all the developed world, Europe probably has the least favourable geopolitical circumstances to tackle irregular migration. We are close to North Africa, reachable from the Middle East and bordering the Balkans. To make things even worse — we have Russia and its satellite Belarus in the East — who are hostile to Western interests and only too happy to continue to destabilise the western EU borders and allow migrant crossings as they have done in the past. The idea that it all just comes down to weak-kneed, soft hearted leftie liberals trying to save the world seems to usually be held in ignoranceof these geopolitical realities.

This is one reason why the Pact is to my mind a significant step in the right direction towards a more cohesive, unified approach.

But the reality remains, and will always remain, that securing the entire length of the EUs external borders perpetually without weakness or flaw is simply never going to happen. So you need a system where some level of burden is shared, otherwise the external border countries are left overwhelmed, which only incentivises them to do nothing about migrants moving somewhere else in the EU. Then you are left with a question about the EU's internal borders.

It is much easier than this - they just dont want to do it as the left would be out screaming about how we are all racists.

The problem with Mary Lou is that she is just another political wind bag, all bark no bite. She has SF flopping around like a dead fish backing any cause that might get them a few votes and in doing so has alienated a lot of their supporters.

Has backed nearly everything the government has done, then come out after the damage is done saying oh we are actually against it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,369 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Current political parties only have themselves to blame? So if the mainstream parties don't fall in behind these demands to 'close the border' and 'send them back' it's their own fault?

Even though those are just empty slogans?

I imagine the mainstream parties will actually fall in line and make these promises, the problem will be implementing them.

Poland is currently trying and failing with it's wall/fence with Belarus, it's actually a smaller border than that linking us to NI but even with 2,500 surveillance cameras and 10,000 soldiers on duty people are still crossing with impunity.

https://balkaninsight.com/2024/02/29/poland-fence-in-the-swamp/

Poland has a series issue with Russia and Belarus using it to facilitate migrants and destabilize the EU. It's going to be difficult to reach agreement with the wider EU. What they really don't need is a relatively wealthy country like Ireland, with all our tax benefits, coming along and deciding they don't want into the pact either.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭US3

I remember in 2014 I was called a far left, antifa, disadent republican at the water protests. Now I'm a far right , nazi for wanting control of the ipas/refugee situation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's the standard refrain. Trump, the Tories, the right, or the far right are never to blame for what they do. They pretend to care about people and communities until they get in and then they shaft them. After, they get even more votes.

People who want less immigration admiring Brexit and the Tories are odd, I have to say. David Cameron promised before 2010 to bring net immigration to "tens of thousands" while immigration from outside the EU was over half of all immigration to the UK.

Anyone working class who votes for a "f*ck the working class" party is going to get exactly what they voted for but at least FF and FG have actual governing experience unlike Nazi cranks like Barrett and Kelly.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 25 spicedspud

As usual a lot of people are lost in the woods for the trees. Take a step back from the right and left and 5g and tory and antifa and flat earth's and racism and dog whistles and corruption for a second.

Take an imaginary island, allow immigration to a historically unprecedented extent, all while resources such as housing and healthcare fall further and further behind adequacy to unprecedented extent, for many, many years with no solution in sight.

That's all anyone needs to know here about the present situation.

Would you expect political unrest ? Yes.

Would you expect growing anti-immigration attitude and resentment? Yes.

Would you expect the formation of new political parties? Yes.

Would you expect the beginnings of violence? Yes.

Trying to address or challenge those symptoms above is an ironclad guaranteed failure because it does nothing to address the cause. You'd be as well trying to cool a volcano with a glass of water.

Either migration is all but halted and housing construction, healthcare capacity, educational capacity, policing capacity is ramped up to the tune of 500%, or every extreme that a 10 year old could predict is going to manifest.

There are no two ways about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Left, right, anifa, all rubbish. I'm called an open border campaigner, even though I want more restrictions then other posters

Im called left on this thread, right on another thread.

The problem is that saying these things doesn't equate to solving them. If you want to "all but halt migration", you need to put in place some fairly hard measures that will require long term public buy-in for a period that allows you to somehow get the population to the magical sweet spot where all our problems evaporate.

What do you seeas being the downsides of halting migration and if you were to implement the policy what would you be telling the Irish people they will have to sacrifice?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's hard to imagine any country in Europe would hold a referendum on immigration in the current climate. It would be like holding one on the Israel-Gaza conflict. Too many bad actors would get involved and it would be beyond divisive - everyone would be at each other's throats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Either migration is all but halted 

And how would that look exactly? Who do we stop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 spicedspud

Did you not just outline the answer yourself?

"put in place some fairly hard measures that will require long term public buy-in". I very much doubt that it's going to be an issue to get the population behind drastically reduced immigration. You might as well be asking a baby if it would like an ice cream.

Referring to my own "500%" in delivery of capacity, I actually don't think it's anywhere near feasible. You have to try, of course.

As to who would be against it? It's a predictable list; those profiting off property, those profiting off cheap, expendable labour, those directly and indirectly involved in migration industry. A very powerful group.

And therein lies the rub. There would absolutely be a shrinking of the "economy" which is in dire need of rationalisation anyway, and there would absolutely be a increase in the availability of housing and the like concomitantly.

All would have to be done in a very intelligent manner, but....every road leads to this conclusion. The sustainability of this ridiculous situation is over, and whether it takes 5 governments and 10 years, or 2 governments and 1 year, the only possible outcome is what I outlined above.

I realise everyone wants to muddy the waters and talk about the bits of minute carrot in the vomit, but the inevitable outcome regardless of interestingly shaped lumps is that it all goes in the bin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement