Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Ireland has absolutely no excuse for not being close to 100% renewables and EVs everywhere for the size of it…

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

+1

PV is rather good in Ireland and the load factor of 50% for the biggest wind turbines is great, we have the best wind in the world

Relatively little battery (pumped hydro, interconnector, chemical battery) needed here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭tommythecat

So nuclear seems to be the way to go? That's how France are doing it.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Short answer, no

Longer answer, it's a different situation in France

They massively subsidised their nuclear industry in the 1970s and have built over 90 reactors, of which around 60 are still running

It's easy for something to be cheap when someone else is paying your bills

Skip forward to now and EDF have been struggling to build their new reactors in France and the UK. There's been massive cost overruns and delays with no completion dates in sight

Some folks have pointed out that nuclear reactors have been built relatively cheaply recently, however that won't work here. Those projects usually rely on having much cheaper labour costs. European workers aren't going to accept a 75% wage reduction, and governments aren't likely to import a cheaper disposable workforce from another continent like Qatar have done

Focusing on Ireland, a single nuclear power plant would cover almost all of our energy needs. That sounds cool until you think about what happens when that plant hits trouble and has to shut down

And they do have to shut down every so often, either planned or unplanned. France suffered significant shutdowns in 2022 due to maintenance and also because the exhaust water was too hot to dump into waterways. Turns out marine life doesn't like being bathed in 70C water

If we built a nuclear power plant it would easily be the most expensive nuclear power ever built. I wouldn't be surprised if €1/kWh was the real cost of running the thing

It works for other situations, bigger populations. But we have far easier, greener and cheaper alternatives all around us

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Or the in between answer: no, because nuclear is simply far too expensive. Never mind anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

People keep forgetting about storage of the radioactive waste, that you simply cannot get rid of it for thousands of years.

Holy grail is fusion, I heard it's about 10 years away 🤣

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

waste is about 1,000 less than a coal plant which emits it's waste straight into the atmosphere, hard core annual waste for Ireland would be about 15 cubic meters assuming it supplied 100% of electrical needs for 5m people

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I heard that 50 years ago 😂

Toyota says we will have solid state batteries next year though. They've been saying that every year for the last 10 years 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Nuclear waste is still a usable energy source, and the more sites there are, the more likelihood of further uses being found for nuclear waste. The idea of it sitting around in drums with the yellow and black skull warning sticker on it is decades old and outdated.

• Advertisement

I've no issue with nuclear. Would have called myself in favour of it up until about 10 years ago. But it's now obsolete. It simply is far too expensive now, so it doesn't solve any problems. Better off investing the same amount of money in wind + battery, this is much easier and quicker to deploy, gives better grid stability, and is overall much cheaper per kWh

By all means keep the current nuclear plants going until they are end of life. But for Jaysus sake, don't plan to build any new ones. Particularly not in Ireland. Where a €200m children's hospital is turning into a €4000m one 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

For me Nuclear is in place of a baseline, to cover when there's no wind, there's no sun, and there's no waves. Greener and cleaner than coal etc. But as you rightly say, renewables should be the first and foremost priority. We could become a net exporter!

I'd be of the same mindset, we could probably build 10GW of wind and solar plus another few interconnectors to France and the UK for the price of a single nuclear power station here

Problem is nuclear doesn't throttle well and doesn't really make sense at smaller scale

So you're back to a single plant covering all baseline needs, which is nice until it breaks for any reason. It'd be like Ecars EV chargers but at national scale 🫣

For Ireland, interconnectors and renewables should be able to cover a lot of what we need. For the peak power situations, things like batteries and time of use pricing can take the edge off

We would need something bigger to plug the gaps, personally I think biomass and biogas would be more realistic here. It isn't fully green, but we've plenty of farm waste which could be put to use

And they would all be ready in 5-7 years. Instead of in 20 years (maybe)

Exactly 👍🏻

Honestly I think 20 years is optimistic, Hinckley Point C is already 12 years old I think and not a single watt generated (after saying it'd be finished in 2017 or so)

Here's one thing that irked me recently. I heard of a statistic that in 2018, approximately 60% of online content was generated by bots

It's probably a lot higher now given the continued rise of social media and AI generated content

What's this got to do with renewables?

Well something like 15% of our electricity generation goes to data centers. I know there isn't a 1:1 relationship between server power usage and web traffic, but it's pretty true to say less traffic would require significantly fewer servers and thus lower consumption

So probably somewhere around 7.5% of all of Ireland's electricity generation is going to bot farms and AI generated articles about halloumi

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah - nuclear gets a bad rap. The reasons behind it I get, 3 mile island, Chernobyl, etc but (money aside for a sec) would I want a great big dirty coal powered station beside me or a nuclear one. Well….

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/death-rates-from-energy-production-per-twh

The "waste thing" I also understand peoples reluctance, but the actual reality is that it's like a swimming pool volume wise a year and your done. Far easier to control/manage that than the gigatons of "waste" that people don't seem to mind spewing out of fossil plants. The science points to nuclear being generally pretty green.

That said, they are pretty expensive pieces of infrastructure. The new one they are building in the UK is billions over budget and years behind schedule. You'd wonder what they could have achieved by taking that same money and using it on wind/solar/storage. That's a known, workable, scalable path. It's not like "Ohh we'll try a wind farm and see if it works"… LOL

It's just a no-brainer from the money side, but that pesky base load in a cloudy/no wind doldrum can be a hard challenge at times.

@bullit_dodger - "The new one they are building in the UK is billions over budget and years behind schedule."

And this is Ireland. Everything here would be done on time and within budget 😂

The base load on a windless cloudy day isn't anywhere near the problem people make it out to be. We do need batteries for it, but in Ireland not that much at all. We need a lot more wind and solar first though…

• Advertisement

You're right about the volume of waste from nuclear being much lower, but in terms of regulation and safety it's a nightmare

We'd have to setup all of the infrastructure ourselves, whereas many countries with running nuclear programs already have some kind of strategy (even if it is crap)

Last I heard the US still didn't have a proper waste disposal facility, they've been using the temporary one since the 70s and it's now full (and leaking)

If you thought the NIMBYs were bad about the wind turbines or 5G masts then imagine the protests to putting a nuclear waste disposal facility anywhere in the country

Most likely we'd just end up paying another country to dispose of the waste. Can't imagine it still being economical after all that

• Registered Users Posts: 78,366 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The last time Ireland built a coal-fired power plant was in 1984, so stop engaging a false equivalence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

I remember all the 'protesters' and hippies who used anti nuclear as an excuse for a few booze and dope fueled open air gigs in 1978. The fact that Ireland at the time was as capable of building a nuclear powered station as we were of conducting a space launch was lost in the noise and hallucinations of the concert goers. A good time was had by all, and they could claim that they 'stopped Ireland from going nuclear', as if. 40 years later we can't even project manage a kids hospital.

And that is to be commended for Ireland, but not sure how relates to the point I was making that there are far less deaths from nuclear generated electricity than fossil fuels in general. I never mentioned Ireland as such, so when we last made a coal plant is superfluous. China on the other hand is developing two coal powered station a week!

https://energyandcleanair.org/publication/china-permits-two-new-coal-power-plants-per-week-in-2022/

We're sharing the same air/planet. No?

Nuclear is a divisive topic. People get passionate about it on both sides. Few actually take the time to look at the science, the safety records (and accidents) how much of a REAL problem is nuclear waste …. and then formulate a well educated opinion on how nuclear might fit into a roadmap towards a greener world. If someone has done that and they still don't like it, fair enough - respect. But if people are basing opinions on watching too many Godzilla movies of nuclear Atolls in the south Pacific…..

Personally we're not a good fit for nuclear in Ireland - but the science is good.

LOL - very true.

https://www.europeana.eu/en/blog/anti-nuclear-protests-at-carnsore-point

I can just about remember it. I do remember the yellow anti-nuclear stickers though on cars in the 80's.

I mean there was a plan to build a nuclear power station on Bear island around that time as I recall?

Whether it was unrealistic or not is something you'd only know with hindsight, at the time the plan was real

Also everyone was smoking weed in the 70s, let the people have some harmless fun

Well they could at least stop buying coal from a dodgy land destroying open mine in Columbia where protesters tend to have an alarmingly short lifespan

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Carnsore Point down in Wexford, imagine the size of Ionity Gorey if this was built :()

The Nuclear for Ireland? thread is good craic, same recurring arguments so no need to read back the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,366 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"Whether it was unrealistic or not is something you'd only know with hindsight" - they wanted to build a nuclear power plant on sandy ground at sea level.

Advertisement