Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 spicedspud

Reckless, thoughtless, greed driven policy year after year has landed us where we are.

Lets not continue that, for a start.

If you want an actual visual of what it looks like, look at reeling in the years.

If you want a broken down step by step no-doubt 500 page policy document, I won't be writing that for you.

Eliminating the likes of farcical hiring policies from outside the EU is easy pickings. For example, I was just reading about 200 worker permits to Filipinos to help with car driver testing. Absolutely no need for that type of work to be fulfilled from the other side of the planet.

That's the example, and you work up from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

OK but you're not answering the question. You say the public will get behind the measures. Well, of course you'd say that wouldn't you? But what measures are they?

As I've said many times before, the huge problem you have with tackling migration is that the very things we want (cheap, convenient travel across the world — freedom to live abroad — freedom to move around, work elsewhere, experience the world) are the very things which make migration relatively easier now. That presents a bit of a conundrum which many like to pretend doesn't exist — there's just an assumption that radical tackling of mass migration is going to be an entirely one way process that is always in our favour.

The sad thing is that there is no particular shame in admitting the conundrum exists. But this doesnt fit in with the narrative that migration issues are a straightforward quick-fix that are only made impossible by traitorous ministers, NGOs and all manner of Leftie phantoms. And these simplistic assumptions are precisely the reason why the people who say a lot about migration being bad never really end up doing that much about it.

I just said that reducing the immigration would reduce the "economy", that's a price, but one well worth paying as the irish version of economy is haywire from inception.

As for us severely limiting the amount of semi permanent to permanent migration into Ireland coming at the expense of Irish peoples ability to travel elsewhere transiently, I just cannot see that being the case. It sounds like a bluff, and one I'd gladly call.

We are operating a dysfunctional business, if you like.

Despite the nearly decade old housing crisis, we just keep allowing more and yet more people to arrive. Whether for cheap labour or simple asylum, that intrinsic flaw is disastrous.

It isn't theoretically disastrous, it is evidently disastrous. And much like hoping 2+2 doesn't equal 4, hoping this disaster doesn't grow yet further out of control is simply hoping against reason. Its a mathematical problem.

So you are correct, I'm not providing a giant policy document for you to read, and I'm really not interested in hearing rebuttals based on existing policies. The whole point is that the existing legislation is madness. It needs gone.

I'll leave it to more interested people to construct those painstaking policies, but the broad point remains, there is no sustainable future without drastically limiting migration into a capacity stricken nation. Every solution must, as a logical necessity, start with that as the goal.

To add an example of not addressing that as the core issue, consider the asylum situation and housing. So they build 5 detention centres, say. Inevitably they fill up.

Now we're back to avoiding the core issue; do you accept that you simply build another 5, and another 5, and another 5 ad infinitum, or do you accept that there is an end point? There's no avoiding the ultimate conclusion, so its better to address it now than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭suvigirl

So let's stop Filipino immigration then? What else exactly?

Lets stop chocolate samplers from paraguay also.

There is no way 200 people should be transported from the other side of the planet, to do driver testing, to a country chronically short of housing and other infrastructure.

The example is set there and can be readily moved upstream

My point could not be any clearer, the immigration situation, whether tied to asylum or farcically uneconomic visa systems, is a disaster.

LiKe any sane person, im pointing out how it doesn't make sense, rather than going out of my way to confound and justify it.

How about you, can you think of any needless migration based off that example?

• Advertisement

And why do you think visas are being issued for those people to come here?

Either it's sheer incompetency and stupidity, akin to me adopting 20 cats every year for the next 10 years, despite me having the capacity for only 10,

or its financially incentivised via increased scarcity of the likes of housing allowing artificially created inflation,

or its the idea of cheap and expendable labour importation in order to undercut wages and standards, a la 200 Filipinos being brought in to test drivers in cars.

Likely its all 3.

One simply does not sleepwalk over the course of a decade into multiple crises by doing the same thing over and over and over again, each year worse than the last, unless there is a bona-fide reason.

Or maybe it truly is stupidity!

Regardless of which it is, its all bad news and must change, as a matter of physics, nevermind anything else.

Perhaps youd care to explain the logic of the 200 filipinos being brought in to do mundanely skilled tasks to a country that is evidently without space?

Which is all rubbish of course. There are no visas issued for non EU persons, unless the jobs cannot be filled by Irish, uk, or EU citizens.

Oh right, "it's all rubbish", is it?

So answer the question I asked you then, why would a functional business/country/entity need to hire 200 Filipinos to do driver testing...from the other side of the planet, into a country that evidently has multiple capacity issues?

Because nobody can do driver testing from across the entirety of Ireland? Nobody can be found able to do it from across the entire continent of Europe??

Pull the other one. The reason that kind of thing is happening is precisely down to one of the 3 options I gave you above, and none of them are good.

Stupidity/wage supression/asset inflation.

Extend that small example out over the course of a decade, and let me tell you, I wouldn't expect anything less than multiple functional crises.

Which we have, lo and behold.

Can you propose some alternative reason why 200 Filipinos are "needed" to do driver testing, of all things, in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,372 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A fire now in Newtownmountkennedy, is this Simon Harris and Stephen Donnelly constitution? The unrest, anger and upset won't stop, residents and citizens are not listened to and angry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,339 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Serious problems in Wicklow tonight. Let's hope no one is injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Have to think that deployment of an entire riot squad to quell tensions on a country road of all places is a very bad look and this is right in the heartland of the Taoiseachs constituency.

The optics are not great.

Also these are not locals causing the trouble. It's evident it's scumbags who have come in to cause trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

From what social media is posting, it's just a bunch of scumbags trying to stir up trouble.

How did the Gardai let it get to this Stage?

Helen McEntee again in the Justice brief and is completely hopeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

No, it's a tiny number of trash scumbags causing trouble. I'd lock them all up, for a good 2-years at least.

That's not the same as "people are angry", as if most people are angry therefore most people support this necrotic filth.

Whilst I agree with people voicing their political opinions, that doesn't mean I support scumbags no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

McEntee has just put out a tweet and the timing couldn't be worse!

So many scumbags in Newtownmountkennedy. Grown auld fellas giggling at the trouble that is happening. They must live desperately sad lives to get their kicks from attacking Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

So now locals don't want to be associated with the hire-a-scumbag mob that are at every other protest!

Too late now, shouldn't have allowed those people to be involved.

The same reasons I'm saying this country is going insane and has bleakness written all over it going forward is exactly the reason a whole load of those politicians jumped recently.

They know, I know, and quite a few people know what's coming. Latency of effect, a decade of "bills" built upon the most outrageously stupid and greedy governance are starting to arrive in the door.

Shameful, shame on the ones who created it, shame on those who defended it, and shame on those who stayed quiet.

• Advertisement

Obviously they can't fill those jobs, clearly. 🙄

One person has been injured according to twitter reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A lot of the scumbags / wasters are anti-establishment (even though they don't use the term). They hate the Government, the Dáil, the media and the Gardai…..there's a constant narrative among the far right on social media that the establishment are working against the interests of the Irish people. It's all very Trump-like.

So, it's Simon Harris and Stephen Donnelly fault that scumbags are running riot, setting fires to private property?

Bunh of absolute Scumbags

Virgin Media talking about it.

As you alluded to above, yes, a rampant scheme of profiteering off housing and wage suppression via ever so stupid migration has created multiple crises.

So expecting the population of a country, or large segments of it, to simply be well-behaved as conditions get worse is simply illogical.

Create bad times, expect bad results. The only surprise would be if nothing happened.

There's a distinct difference between reason and excuse. Im providing reasoning, not excusing.

Listen, those jobs have to be filled by Irish or EU citizens first. They clearly werent. So they got workers that were willing to work.

End of.

John Mooney comparing these groups with terrorist groups.

• Advertisement

Its exactly the same.

If you don't want to be associated with the 'Scumbags ' then don't associate with them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement