Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Not sure City will miss his 12 touches in the game

Will be interesting to see how effective de Zerbi's set up is

I hope Arsenal will do it, but I'm doubtful with so few games left and City with nothing else to play for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

A lot of people were hammering Haaland against Real for asking to come off. He didn't play against Chelsea and is out again he must be injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Ah yeah, Man City, that famous one man team vs Brighton's sick bay.

Gonna be City by 4 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

City are not at their best in the last few months but there are goals all over their team from Foden, Alvarez, Silva, De Bruyne even Rodri…….it might seem that Arsenal could win the league which obviously they have a huge chance though I think more likely City will beat Brighton and Forest away whilst Arsenal could drop points v Spurs. If that happens then the league is over on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I listened to Five Live last night and there was an ex-Everton player on. He played last season, but I don't know who he was. He said that Everton have a set-piece analyst who actually goes onto the pitch and shows the players where exactly to stand for free-kicks, corners etc. They keep going over the routines until they get it right, so that the blockers know what they have to do and how, and that worked perfectly last night for the goal and for one missed header, although offside. Knowing about it made it easier to see it happening each time.

A lot of teams study the videos of previous games and then train their defenders to counteract this but as Liverpool do a zonal marking thing that won't work. Zonal marking is an absolute joke because a "zone" has yet to score in the EPL, even in this season where the goal-scoring record has already been broken, with a few more weeks action to come.

The ex-player (wish I knew who it was) also said that when Tarkowski wins the ball, his job, typically, isn't to get it on target, but rather to re-direct it so that Calvert-Lewin or someone is on hand to then score. I suppose it helps if you have a Dwight McNeil type to deliver consistently into the box too.

The stat came up last night that when DCL scored it was their 6th corner, and for each of the 6 corners taken an Everton player made first contact with the ball

It sounds like when Buvac was Klopp's assistant, he used to have a whistle to stop players dead and would physically move them into the positions on the training pitch they were supposed to be in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭Mac-Chops

There must not have been a pea in that whistle!

Thanks a million. I had early onset amnesia there and couldn't recall!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Haaland scored three of City's 17 over the last six games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City actually play better without him. They will pick up 3 points tonight in second gear.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

They've literally won leagues without any striker at all, not sure what having no Haaland changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I’m not sure being pedantic about a 30 minute difference is all that much of a ‘gotcha’ either…

We don’t actually know Virg’s position on it, but with just a bit of common sense I think it’s fair to say players probably don’t really like early fixtures, for obvious reasons. I’m not sure there’s anything in that concept for anyone to be upset about. 🤷

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

De Bruyne opens the scoring, a really fine header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

He seemed surprised and delighted to have scored a header.

• Advertisement

And Foden makes it 2-0 via a major deflection. City cruising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

plenty of time for more for city here

Whatever about the financial cheating, Pep's ability to get this out of so many of these players year after year is immense.

Bernardo, Rodri, Walker and KDB in particular.

All-timers. Especially if 4 in a row happens.

3-0 Foden again and Brighton only have themselves to blame, around 5 or 6 passes and they were still inside their own box.

Arsenal will still believe they've a chance but I very much doubt that City team will come close to dropping any points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

GD is down to 9 now between city and Arsenal. One draw for city wins Arsenal the league presuming they both win out. If they could snag another few here and win another 4-0 it might go to final day - should they draw one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

That's the truth….no fan of City buy Pep's quality as a manager cannot be questioned. One of the greatest there has been. When you hear other managers talk in awe about him you know he's special

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Whats this nonsense about 1 draw.....

A draw is no good, Forest need to go for a win at the weekend.😁

Been very impressed with Barco the young left back, plays with a lot of confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

A far more realistic scenario is Arsenal fail to beat Spurs in the 2pm kick off on Sunday, then City beat Forest and the league is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Alvarez makes it 4-0, going to get a tad uglier me thinks.

thats a pen, over to VAR as ref didnt give it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Stonewall penalty for Brighton not given, officials are determined to help City's GD , joke of a league, and it's so obvious.

thats as stone wall as they come, VAR of course dont give it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

VAR is truly pointless.

Ridiculous - a very clear foul and it should have been a pen. Against any other team it would have been.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Really weird, wouldn't have changed the game in any way, but was so very clearly a penalty.

Honestly VAR is fine, the people using it are just so so so thick

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluebb993

Ref seems to be checked out. Could have booked about 4 Brighton players for drag backs in the last 10minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Stonewall peno that looks even worse when you see the non foul that city were awarded for their second goal.

The old adage that these things even themselves out over a season is complete rubbish. It never, ever happens to City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Xander10

Midweek games have been an anti climax for neutrals.

Looking like SKY won't not get their grand finale in GW38

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Midweek catch up table

I don't know why anyone is surprised about the non-penalty.

When was the last time you can remember a significant decision going against City?

I know people say it doesn't matter but I know a punter who was "heavy" into a penalty awarded tonight. Could easily have been 3, which won't console him much! His TV will probably suffer when "Ask The Ref" is on this Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Haaland clean through to win game against Spurs and no foul was big. I’m sure there are many more. All of the big teams get decisions and has always been thus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

That’s the only one I can think of from this season, and it’s sort of in a different category I think because the intent behind the decision was to benefit City, Hooper just didn’t see Haaland.

I can think of all sorts of decisions in big games that went their way this season though. The Doku challenge at Anfield, Kovacic somehow staying on the pitch at the Emirates, the extremely soft penalty at OT.

It’s extremely rare to see stuff like this go the other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Sure aren't the ref's out being wined and dined in Abu Dhabi every so often? Nothing to see here…

It will all come out in the wash, eventually, but will take a long time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Pep will probably win the league and FA cup but with a lower points tally and perhaps a come down from last year's treble.
    Arteta will probably finish second with Arsenal but win nothing.
    Klopp will finish the season most likely with only the league cup.
    Emery most likely to get the 4th CL spot and potentially a European trophy too.
    People like Postacoglu, they'll get Europa at least and moved up 3 places after losing Kane while playing attacking football.
    Iraola & O"Neil could be said to have overachieved by never really being in any sort of relegation battle with Wolves & Bournemouth.
    Dyche has Everton comfortably free from relegation despite an 8pt penalty.
    As of now Poch and Ten Hag still have their jobs... that is an achievement in some ways.

If things stay as they are does it have to be Emery for manager of the year?

(Biast Villa fan here but) I'd also argue that if the league was to end now Ollie Watkins should be player of the year. 1 goal off the golden boot with no penalties and more assists than anyone else in the league.

Despite that I think they will give it to Foden with Palmer taking the young player of the year award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Emery is a shoo-in or at least should be. He's done an exceptional job. He's also proven he can balance the demands of European football with league commitments which bodes well for Villa for next season. Great time to be a Villa fan I'm sure.

I know you say Arteta has won nothing, BUT, if Arsenal are to get to the last day while still in a fight for the title (unlikely, but still) I would give it to him. How many Times have we seen Arsenal collapse in March/April in all competitions and limp away? It would be some feat if he could stick the title challenge after being written off by so many after the Bayern and Villa defeats (including myself).

Only 4 games left, still a lot of football to play.

Saying all the above, I certainly wouldn't hold it against Emery if he was to win Manager of the Season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

In some ways I agree and you can definitely see growth in Arsenal and despite not actually picking up a trophy I wouldn't class it as a bad seeing at all, in fact the opposite. However it'd still seem odd to give the award to the 2nd place manager as opposed to the 1st place one (Pep)who will probably also win a cup or the guy (Emery) who just like Arteta might get CL football but with a team with much lesser expectations who could also potentially win the conference league while doing so.

Arsenal should definitely be the main challengers again next season too as they are growing while others are going through a period of change. If Pep was to leave City they would definitely be the best placed to take advantage.

As long as City don't poach Arteta (which is my daily nightmare)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluebb993

Hee-chan 100% should have been sent off earlier in the season when they bet city. He cleaned walker out of it but he was only after getting a card 30 seconds before hand. Wolves won the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Why give it to a manager who finished 2nd just because he ran Pep close, Klopp only got it when he finished 2nd because he also won the FA Cup, and League Cup and reaching the Champions League final, might be a shout to give him the LMA award

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement