Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

How good a feeling is it when you leave a job and remember the vitally important things you were doing just before you left? At the time you think it's the most important thing in the world and you nearly feel guilty when handing over to someone else as you think it won't go well after…but then you leave and it's just…..relief….you realise it doesn't matter at all

I imagine him with a beer on the beach and not a single care. Millions in the bank and no responsibilities. So jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭ronjo

He is definitely a project manager and at his age, its a little hard to see him go for one more.

International job for 2-4 years would be perfect you would think. He could be the man to take Ireland to 2026 World Cup 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Pat_bottom

Personally I think the reason that game killed off the season was because the pool players and fans felt they had it wrapped up before it even started and then when they didn't get what they thought was gonna be a cert it just seem to hurt more and destroy their confidence.

The interviews after that game told big story about the pool players mentality or lack of the mentality monsters bygone era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I can't remember the exact words, but Klopp said in an interview before the Everton game that he is very likely to not manage ever again. He said that and then joked that on the small chance that he takes another job, the Everton job would be one that he wouldn't take if offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That's all whatever, it's how he feels now. He'll take 9 months off, recharge and start bouncing off the walls at home again. The Real job or something will become available and they'll give him a call, etc.

Don't hang onto the idea he doesn't coach again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

I'll take them off your hands if you don't want them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I thought Konate was uncharacteristically woeful last night, Sunday league bad and treated like a nipper by his seasoned opponents. I've no idea what went wrong but he is much better than that.

But as an individual performance it's probably the worst I've seen this season from us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭chicorytip

How do you scout an eighty million pound flop? Ask Ten Hag. Nunez is no Anthony. He will prove to be a good acquisition. The criticism of his finishing is slightly unfair. Salah has missed more gilt-edged chances this season alone than Nunez will likely miss in his entire career yet gets nowhere near the same level of flak. I'm sure Marcelo Bielsa thinks Darwin's the bees knees. The problem with the team is in central defence where people don't mark opponents at set plays and, generally, show lack of application. It is known Everton always aim corner kicks to a certain part of the penalty area, therefore you must defend that space. Klopp made reference to that last night. The incoming boss needs Van Dijk and Co. to man up and show more aggression, just like Tarkowski and Braithwaite did last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm more at peace with Van Dijk and Salah leaving than I've ever been. particularly the latter.

personally, the only ones I'd really be devastated to see go are Trent, MacAllister and probably Jota (despite the injuries).

That doesn't mean I want the rest gone. Not even slightly. But I'm happy for a new manager to shape the squad how he'd see fit, and would be flabbergasted if he couldn't find a prominent role for those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

If we can get 70 mill for Salah, I'd be taking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

The one part of the criticism of Nunez that is patently NOT unfair is his finishing, which is nowhere near the level of a top level striker.

Do people genuinely think that the Salah we saw from August-January before his injury is never coming back?

And don't forget that we were already seeing a Salah then that already wasn't beating a man on the outside but was using his short bursts of speed to get into good positions to score. He was creating chances for team mates at a very high rate too, higher than in previous seasons - off the top of my had I think of his assists for Diaz against Chelsea (and Spurs that was chalked off wrongly), Nunez against Newcastle and then big chances like Nunez against Villa.

20 league games, 14 goals, 8 assists. Was playing some great stuff.

Was very good on his return against Brentford with another goal & assist but whatever injury happened then in that game has completely flattened him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

I am more at peace that Michael Edwards is there to handle the transition of some of our key players that have been unbelievable good for us over the last 5yrs+ in relation to VVD and Salah.

I don't think there will be major changes, personally I would like to see a new LB and a new DM, anything else depends on who leaves.

Szobo is an attacking midfielder, this season it seems Klopp has focused on his athletic qualities and has to cover gaps left by TAA. With a new manager, he is likely to have a different role. We have a talented squad that predominately is young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Post edited by brevity on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Think this could get done tomorrow. Too much smoke now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭decies

Arsenal fans watching Liverpool lose to Everton vs. Arsenal fans watching Man City thrash Brighton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭jones

This Slot appointment is so odd I really though it was a plot at first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Xander10

I'd say Man United and others would snap your hand off if you offered him at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm pretty sure we were linked with Fofana in January last year when Fabinho was in the doldrums. I wonder will we look at him this summer given he could be available for a decent fee.

Indeed.

His form lately, and the physical drop off which is most worrying, is being magnified because of his age.

I think Edwards, or Hughes, might just be more ruthless than me though. It could end up being a case of either be sale or see out your contract and we'll shake hands and thank you for your service. Maybe a mosaic on the Kop for your last game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Augme

There's a number of issues that need to be considered.

Is the Salah who could press with intensity, track back and help out defevensively, score and assist like he has and play every week ever coming back? The answer is no. So then it becomes of question of what is a team willing to sacrifice. Is a new manager coning in who has a high intensity pressing style going to be happy having one player basically opting out? Is Salah going to be happy not starting every game? Does the team suffer too much before he can't track back or press as well? I don't think it's a huge issue either. He has one year left, he will either go this summer or else be let go on a free so it isn't going to be a new term problem for a new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Feyenoord won their game 1-3

Written in the stars lol

At this rate, I expect him in the dugout for West Ham on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If he does end up staying on, I'd like to see him play central from now on, either up front or in the 10 position. As well as perhaps suiting his attacking game more now, pressing and covering from centre is a lot less of a workload than pressing and covering the touchline. All those big runs he's made back to cover at fullback must be killers, whereas if his job becomes more of closing in on a CB not too far away, and just covering passing angles, I think he gets to retain a lot more energy without necessarily being carried.

If Slot does play a 4231 system the striker role would obviously be a potential option. It will be interesting to see how he finishes the season, but he's been so bad lately that he doesn't even deserve a place in the starting 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,552 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I can't believe we're getting into bed with this Slot

guy that we know nothing about. This is just another disappointment .

• Advertisement

Funny how some think the ability to come back from a goal down, and to score more late goals than anyone else is a flaw. It's what winners do

Did VAR cost City or Arsenal 10 pts this season? Even tonight a stonewall penalty for Brighton was not given, purely to help City's GD. I'm totally convinced something stinks, and it could take years for it to come out.

Not on current form, but I think it's a mistake to look too much through the prism of performances in the midst of a massive downturn. The whole team is capable of much more than is happening right now.

We've seen these blips before that feel like they're the ends of lads careers, and then we come out of it, and it's all good again. During that horror spell in 20/21 for instance, there was a time it felt like the whole team was irrevocably broken. Then they knock out something like ~10 wins to end the season in 3rd, and go on to come within a point of winning the league the following season.

So i think it's worth us all taking a breath, and a step back, and recognising that the current level isn't the default level.

Losing Klopp, and ending up with Humpty Fcking Dumpty, life is cruel

Was it a mistake buying Nunez, it felt like it was a reaction to City getting Haaland, as if a new style of football was going to dominate, a return to that proper no:9 role, in reality City are far better without Haaland, and Liverpool are far worse with Nunez, while Arsenal who play a false 9, are the best team to watch in the league, and the team with most goals.

But this situation is in no way comparable to what you've described. There's a regime change for starters, there'll be a big change in personnel and previously untouchable stars such as Salah, Virg and Robbo look like they may be surplus to requirement depending on how the new manager feels. Having the same mananger and system/style of play back in 21/22 made that title challenge possible. This is a whole new rodeo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Winners don't spend every 2nd weekend falling behind. Yes the ability to come back from it can be admired, but its pure fallacy to think that's sustainable in the long run. Winners, when it matters most will come from behind when required, but they will make sure those occasions are sparce.

Perhaps a mistake - though I think less of a mistake than it initially looked. Despite recent form, he's generally been much better this season than last and a lot more rounded, so we'll see if he can push on more.

I think people have to keep in mind values too… you have the feeling that ~65 million pounds (with potential add-ons that we wouldn't worry about if he were to hit them) should buy you a tip top level forward, but of course that's no longer true. A 30 year old Harry Kane with only 1 year left on his contract was 100 million pounds as a recent benchmark. Hojlund, another talented and young but unproven forward was 70 million.

I'd like to see him wide for at least a year though, can be just as impactful there without the pressure of being the one on the end of everything. Dangerous footballer who can still score goals, just not a good finisher in those clinical positions. No shortage of frontmen who take a few years to develop their finishing, like Drogba and Costa who both had great reputations as causing a defence a lot of trouble without scoring, until the goals came in their mid 20s.

You're were banging the drum about Paulo Fonseca here only a few days ago. A real household name sure!

My post was specifically in response to your quote of "but he's been so bad lately that he doesn't even deserve a place in the starting 11".

All the other stuff, yeah of course a new manager will do what they want to do - I'm just saying that the Salah (or Virg, or Konate, or Nunez, or Diaz, or Szobo, or Robbo, or Jones etc etc) of these recent games is probably not a total or fair representation of those players quality come a new season.

Can you in all honest say we have been every bit as good as Arsenal or City this season? If the answer is yes, then football is not for you.

• Advertisement

I find it very difficult to figure out what this team is capable of tbh. We finished 5th last season for a reason. Their ability to go from the sublime to absolutely awful is almost unparalleled.

A new manager, a new style and new some new players makes everything even harder to predict.

For sure, and this recent form further muddies what was a big feel-good atmosphere about the general state of the squad only 2 months ago. We do at least know that these individual players have high ceilings, so it's up to the new manager to bring those performances out on a regular basis. We'll see if they're up to it.

You've got me mixed up with another poster. Never mentioned anyone not good enough for the starting XI?

Apologies, i thought you were the other poster continuing the conversation. None-the-less that's the quote and specific point the post was referring to and answering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Just looking at the Arsenal thread there - so reminiscent of us in seasons gone by when up against the lads with 115 charges against them… hopeful of Brighton doing them a favour… nope… well, Forest need points next weekend, maybe they can do it… etc etc. Welcome to the club, fella's.

It will be City's title, just wait and see City get nothing against them, while Arsenal possibly get stopped by the officials, of course Arsenal have the means to undo 4 bad calls with 5 goals, and it will take that to stop City and the Officials from winning this title.

I believe the officials are corrupted, with the same conviction that a Mormon believes in Jesus.

Hope Channel 4 Investigates, or BBC Panarama are on this already, I'd love to see these officials caught on tape bragging about how they favour teams, I bet among trusted friends down the pub they laugh about their power and how they're untouchable.

Slot is coming in as the cheapest option, 18m for Ruben, 8 for Slot, all about the money and Edwards playing God. Bottom line is to be in the black come end of year accounting.

Slot won't get time, one bad run and the Kop will be wearing their M.A.G.A caps , and calling Klopps name

MAKE ANFIELD GREAT AGAIN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I assume if Slot is our next manager, we won't be seeing you here anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭klose

We can all get carried away with a few Thursday pints toby 😁

• Advertisement
Advertisement