Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Track - North Dublin

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

That’s exactly it. The railway is only just picking up speed, and it takes time to build these projects.

I was at the RDS last week and heard Paul Hendrick, from capital investments at Irish Rail, in a panel discussion.

He was saying Irish Rail have had too many piecemeal projects in the past, where the knowledge is built up on projects, and when those projects are finished, the people usually go abroad as there’s no new projects to be worked on.
    He said they need to have a constant supply of projects to work on, to maintain the qualified people available to work on them, and get projects completed on time and on budget.
    He also lamented the old cost saving measures of single tracking, previously double tracked lines. Its causing big delays to services now, which will only get worse as increased frequency of services starts to happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ireland may not be Switzerland, but Ireland (and frankly every country) should be looking to emulate Switzerland in it terms of its public transport. They have a similar population to the island of Ireland though far more difficult terrain and have managed to build rail connections with hourly frequency to villages of 300 people half way up a mountain in much of the country. The key element of course is that many, many people use the infrastructure unlike some weird follies we have like the WRC. This is because of the trains are incredibly frequent, the service is excellent and most importantly the public transport at the stations means you don't get stranded from your final destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

@Podge_irl WRC isn't a folly; the experience of WRC actually supports your argument.

WRC underperforms precisely because not enough money was spent to make the route viable. There are too many level crossings that should have been removed during the initial project. If we had followed a Swiss model, more money would have been spent and the route would have been only when it provided an acceptable level of service.

But any comparison with Switzerland is not going to transfer easily to Ireland. Switzerland has two major poles: the Zürich-Winterthur conurbation and Geneva, plus a number of other significant cities (Basel, Lausanne, Berne) providing a network of important destinations throughout the country. The Republic of Ireland, meanwhile has one major pole in Dublin and one secondary city in Cork, and everything else is a much smaller, and unlike Switzerland there are no onward destinations by rail except Belfast. Look at the departure board in Zürich Hauptbahnhof and you'll see why Swiss railways can be so well provisioned...

That's several fair points. I live in Geneva so I get the general idea. It blows my mind that we have 30 minute frequency on a train that just goes from a small town (Nyon) to a tiny mountain village (St Cergue). Geneva itself is not inundated with connections outside Switzerland though (Zurich is a bit different).

The problem Ireland faces indeed is that intercity trains simply aren't faster than driving and public transport on the other end isn't good enough to mean you don't need the car.

WRC may not be a folly, but investing in that and the M17 was not sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Off topic, but any nice day trip train journey suggestions? Heading to Geneva in June and wouldn't mind going for a train trip somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭gjim

One piece of advice would be find one of the tourist special rail passes online on the sbb.com before heading over if planning on a non-local rail trip. If you buy on the day without what is called a Halbtax (only available to residents), you’ll effectively pay twice the price. If you thought UK rail tickets were expensive…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Most of the Swiss rural rail network was built a century and a half ago. It survived when ours didn't because of tourism and the difficulties of accessing mountainous areas by road (that has changed now with improvements to roads and road vehicles now being far superior). They have a lot of single track lines with level crossings, there are even LCs around Zürich. Places like Geneva and Basel are nodes on the trans-continental rail network.

The Swiss network exists in a very different context to Ireland's. Their network has been in existence for a long time and the country has developed around that network, they have continuously been upgrading that network for decades. Ireland on the other hand has mostly developed without much of a rail network and we are trying to create a basic modern rail network from the bones of a few Victorian lines through towns and cities which developed without much recognition of the rail network and whose development often now hampers rail improvements.

Infrastructurally, there isn't a whole lot for us to learn from the Swiss. Where we should be learning from the Swiss is from their SBB app and the ease with which you can buy tickets and find connections between different types of services.

Alo worth noting that the Swiss are spending a fortune building a new tunnel alongside the existing tunnel on the motorway around Zürich to increase it to four lanes in each direction.

A) yes, definitely get the tourist day pass

B) I'd suggest Gruyeres. It's about 2 hours so not a short hop, but it's a lovely train ride anyway around the lake for half of it then up into the mountains. The village is tiny but lovely (especially if you like cheese!) Or else go a bit further round the lake to Montreux and then you can get a mountain train from there and just go for a hike or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭gjim

Yes the terrain, history, etc of rail in Switzerland is vastly different to Ireland. And it has been rich for more than 100 years - I'd say Ireland has really only emerged from economic doldrums in 1990 - effectively a gap of nearly 200 years, the last time Ireland had been relatively well-off (by European standards of the time, not modern) was the end of the 18th century, before the act of Union. Even the last 30 years of remarkable prosperity was interrupted for 5+ years by the great financial crisis.

But it's not just infrastructure that makes the Swiss system excellent (like I said, there is a surprising amount of single track sections, level crossings, curved platforms, etc) but what everyone should learn from the Swiss is the excellence of their operations. Basic stuff like always having accurate information communicated to passengers whether in stations or on-board trains, trams, etc. - transforms the experience. IE really do themselves no favours in this regard - and it's one of the reasons, I believe that successive governments have been reluctant to provide investment for the heavy rail system. The worry is that even with brand new shiny rail lines and train sets, IE will operate services poorly thus delivering a poor return on investment.

and most importantly the public transport at the stations means you don't get stranded from your final destination.

This is the key for me. When you arrive in a city or town by rail, you know that you can immediately avail of excellent local public transport to actually get to where you want to go. This is why I believe Ireland needs to improve local public transport first.

I'm sceptical of increasing the capacity outside of Dublin BEFORE sorting out local PT issues in the city first. Increasing capacity for getting trains into the city isn't very helpful when there is no capacity to handle extra rail traffic in the city itself.

I think there are lessons to be learnt from how the road network has been transformed in our lifetimes (if you're of a certain age). It would have been daft to build the M3 before the M50, for example. It would have meant funnelling more cars onto the already congested streets of Dublin. By building the M50 first, it provided immediate relief in Dublin and ALSO helped those arriving from the rest of the country. It isn't a us vs them, city vs country thing at all.

Like @bk (I think?), I've switched to coach services getting to Dublin airport, for example, even when I have the option of rail (which I vastly prefer) because being dumped in Heuston with luggage just means the start of an unpleasant, unpredictable, slow slog through Dublin to get to where I want to go. This wouldn't change, for me, even if in some fantasy world there was suddenly high-speed TGV available to me to get to Heuston - I'd still get the coach. The only thing that would make me consider the train again would be if there was decent PT available for the last stage of the trip. For example, if the DART tunnel was there; I could get off in Hueston, descend stairs to get (with 5 minute frequency) a DART and then switch to ML at Tara - in this scenario I would go back to using the train.

And it's not about Dublin, it's about all cities and town. For example going FROM Dublin - I'd like to use the train from Dublin to get, say, to family in Mayo but that means someone picking me up by car in Castlebar. So generally for this sort of trip, it's easier all round to just hire a car. Having said that, one of Ryan's initiatives, "Connecting Ireland" - a huge expansion of local bus services in more rural areas - seems to fly under the radar here. But it's having an big impact on the practicality of getting around and WOULD make me consider the train to Castlebar the next time if relatively frequent onward connections were available to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 OisinCooke

I do think 4 tracking the northern line is well worth it, even if it may seem slightly trivial at the moment. The DART definitely needs 2 tracks all to itself with the planned amount of service that will be using it, and this leaves the question of 1 or 2 extra tracks for intercity services.

I firmly believe it should be an extra 2 if at all possible, as once Enterprise Services are made hourly as of this Autumn, there will inevitably be conflict of paths around this area, along with the hourly Drogheda Commuters and eventually hourly Derry trains via the (hopefully reopened) Derry Road. And as well as that (not in the know, but I’m presuming) it would be much harder to signal a single bi-directional line for mainline high speed services into Dublin than to just add the 4th track and have two single-directional lines. Not sure though but that's how it seems to me. 3 tracks might just be easier space wise however.

In terms of actually going about it, if you look at the alignment on Google Earth, the vast majority of the line from Connolly to Malahide has space to expand to 4 tracks. Most of the time between Connolly and Howth Jnct it’s in a cutting or on an embankment. The great thing about these is that if you replace a sloped embankment with a vertical retaining wall, you lose no space on the surface as far as back gardens are concerned but gain lots of space at track level and I believe most of the spacing issues for the 4 tracking can be overcome by this method. The section between Clontarf Road and the Royal Canal poses the most difficulties. An extra two spans will need to be added to the Clontarf Road, the direct line to the East Wall and the Tolka but beyond that there are only 5 small overbridges over minor roads that will need to be reconstructed.

In terms of stations, Clontarf Rd is an easy fix as it’s elevated which means a ‘basement level’ booking office and underpass to connect the platforms would be easy to reconfigure the station around 4 tracks. Killester can be relocated south to the Collins Avenue overbridge, which while being closer to Killester town centre, also has more space than the current hemmed in station for a wider 4 track station. The story is the same at Raheney where the station could be relocated south by 100 metres to an area where there is much more space for an inevitably wider 4 track station (access from the Howth Road behind the church car park).

Harmonstown is a bit more difficult but could just be kept in the same location but with the platforms extending northward from the station rather than south as there is slightly more space here. Unfortunately there is no space for expansion at Kilbarrack without the removal of the platforms however due to its proximity to Howth Jnct, (200 metres) a simple renaming to Kilbarrack and Donaghmede and the addition of a southern access to the station off the Kilbarrack Road could remedy this slightly. Either a total reconstruction of Howth Jnct or the demolition of a few houses will be needed to get the 4 tracks through it. From there to Malahide though there is little work needed to be done to fit the 4 tracks. Portmarmock could be moved ever so slightly south again where there is more space. Makahde will be similarly trick to do and while it could also be moved south to be off Bridgefield Park, I’m still not sure about what to do here.

Now I have not done any measuring or surveying these are my observations based on Google Earth alone so a lot may be off and I’m open to correction on some of the things I may have said were possible. But while it might be tricky and upset some people I think it’s worth investigating the possibility of a 4th track, at least for most of the route. Whether it’s 3 or 4 tracks though, capacity enhancements are desperately needed on the Northern Line if the DART wants to increase in capacity and the Enterprise wants to in any way feel like a premier and competitive service

• Advertisement
Advertisement