Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sportives/Leisure Cycles 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just curious but how are you managing to take entries on the day? My club have been informed that under no circumstances are entries to be taken on the day. It must be online only as per CI regulations.

I've done several sportives this year to date and all were also taking cash entries on the day. It just seems unfair that some are abiding by the regulations (and losing out) while others are ignoring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Looking forward to this, I'll be signing up soon. Do you have the routes Secman?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 spudpicker2022

i have ticket for tour de connemara (140km route) for sale if anyone would like it please PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

On eventmaster, 9 stones challenge cycle, before buying tickets, scroll down and there are links to both routes on strava, I'm not techny enough to attach links 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Johnners1878

I'm not aware of any restriction imposed by CI on walk-up entries. There may have been in the immediate aftermath of Covid - I remember some of our members being refused entry to a neighbouring Sportive a couple of years ago but we only returned last year. We accepted walk-in entries and where people didn't have a one-day license we took their additional €20 for a ODI and remitted them back to CI as we'd always done previously - they were received without complaint. I'd be curious as to who/how that was communicated to you. As you say, it's common practice. We certainly don't want to breach CI regulations, but we haven't seen that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 spudpicker2022

From CI webpage:

All events, including club events, must receive a permit and use the Cycling Ireland Online Entry System. The benefits of the new system are that it removes cash and the handling of money, entry fees move seamlessly into your stripe account and you have a list of all your entries before event day.

Event Licence fees (one Day Licence) are also collected directly at the time of entry and sign-on sheets are not required. Unfortunately, if your event has not received a permit and is not available for booking via our online system it cannot avail of event insurance.

Thanks for that - not sure it clarifies anything though - without getting bogged down in semantics, it seems open to interpretation. We (and others presumably) have received a permit and use the CI Online System, so comply with those terms. It doesn't state the Online system must be used exclusively nor does it say that walk-in entries are not permitted. As I said, we remitted ODI licenses paid on the day last year to CI and there were no questions asked as to how or why. I'll investigate further….

Yes perhaps we're being overly cautious with the interpretation. It's not nice to have to turn away people on the day with cash in their hands (especially when they are club members!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

If you take cash from a random/unlicensed cyclist, how does this grant them a 'licence' to ride i.e. how are they insured? I agree with WA above and while traditionally Ireland has had a 'sure it will be grand' attitude to many such things, cash in hand etc, it does feel like we are in different times now, what with exorbitant insurance fees and payouts. I would not take a risk with cash in a bucket from johnnycomelately. If CI can advise definitively, perhaps that would clear things up.

Most walk-ins are licensed and are from other Clubs. If an unlicensed individual arrives, they pay an entry fee for the event and separately buy a one-day event license for €20 - the same way as someone without CI membershp can do on Eventmaster. We send the €20 odi fee to CI with the individual's details. If they don't want to pay the additional €20 they don't ride.

Post edited by Johnners1878 on

Are these riders who pay €20 insured to ride?

Yes, €20 buys an event license which brings them under the umbrella of CI insurance, in the same way as it buys an event license online. I'd have said that categorically until this discussion arose, but we'll be looking for cast-iron clarity now.

And who exactly gets this money? Is it sent in an envelope to CI headquarters? The only issue I have is that historically, the governing body was/is the licensing and insuring body; one-day 'event' licences were a separate sign on sheet, with waiver included, the same as on race days, separate sheets with different race numbers given to such participants, overseen by commisaires. Frankly, that system is a bit 20th century to me; a digital point of entry, sign on and cross checks, tick boxes etc is what the Eventmaster portal and CI are using, with a proper paper trail, albeit digital. The 'cash in hand' approach implies that the event organisers are now 'licensing' who can ride - if that's OK then it's news to me. And if that's above board, then just carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Doesn't make cycling a very accessible sport if people cannot sign up on the day for local events

Well, there could be an online portal option available for late entrants? The fact is that many events have a closing date/time so as to help with logistics on the morning of the event. The night before the event - 9pm- is that not good enough for anybody wanting to participate? You just can please everyone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Organisers can leave the closing date on their event to the morning of, and anyone turning up can just enter online as usual.

Bar national championships or NS races, organisers set the closing date to their events to whatever day and time they want.

Post edited by eeeee on

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DrumcDub1

I have an entry for the Wicklow 200 and for L'Etape in Kerry for sale (at a discount) if anyone is interested

• Advertisement

The problems with 'walk ins' is that 1. Many won't show up if the weather is bad and 2. It makes it difficult to estimate food requirements etc. When people sign up in advance, it makes it more likely that they will show up on the day and, even if they don't, the organiser has their entry fee which is important for charity events.

(I accept that the opposite can also be true - if it's a glorious day, more 'walk ins' may show up.)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Drake66

Is anyone here doing the orwell randonee on Saturday? At the moment the forecast is looking potentially ok. I can't wait for the carrot cake

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I did the 145km randonee last year. The weather included all four seasons. I can recall passing Ballinastoe and the weather was absolutely glorious. Towards the end as I was ascending Sally from Kilbride, it was lashing rain and hailstones and I was absolutely miserable, wondering why I was out on the side of a mountain in that weather.

Also, in case anyone is using the route from last year on their Garmin, note that there is a slight change due to roadworks on the R758 (as you turn N towards the lakes) - the route now follows a narrower lane which I think also adds on a few more metres!

https://orwellwheelers.org/m-calendar/randonnee/1472-2024-randonnee

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Really cycling is a lot more accessible than a lot of sports. Not many you'd be able to rock up on the day to an organised event, even if you had a licence? If anything, pre-covid, cycling was slow to move to online for events.

Yes - doing it. It would be very unusual to get reasonable weather for it but I'm remaining positive.

The weather forecast has deteriorated a bit. I'm undecided on bib tights or shorts for tomorrow. Its looks like it won't be as warm as they were predicting

More feckin cold and wet weather - Sally Gap's forecast for tomorrow…

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lissard

Bibtights and a decent rainjacket I think - thought it might be the weekend to break out the shorts. Damn weather this year :-(

What I'm now wondering is do I bring the good summer bike or the #2 bike (and with/without mudguards).

It really isn't shaping up to be a good summer!

• Advertisement

Had a lovely day at the Randonee yesterday. Its such a well run event and the food stop in Laragh is so well stocked. I went a bit too hard up the luggala climb. I got in with a fast group and got carried away with myself! The weather was OK apart from the bit from the wicklow gap to kilbride I thought. I passed an accident on the descent down from lough bray; I hope whoever was involved is ok.

Advertisement