Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Adam, if you even dream of saying Mike Ross was a journeyman you better wake up and apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I think its 99% impossible for ulster or munster to win a european cup in this era. 

Literally two days ago, you were telling us that Munster can "beat anyone"…

I know a big name NIQ LH would be great but it's not even clear if Munster actually wanted one, and it leaves us in more or less the same situation as this season, considering how little Kilcoyne has featured.

I think a hooker would be a better buy for both Munster and Ireland tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I must be in the minority but I think we are set in the prop department for next season.
    LHP: Loughman starter, Wycherley sub, Donnelly on a Development contract as backup, with academy behind them. (Kilcoyne should be kept on for a one-year extension assuming his body is able to recover from his shoulder surgery)
    THP: Jager starter, Ryan sub, Salanoa unknown availability but hopefully should be back by next season, with academy behind them. (Archer most likely will retire at the end of the season).

At hooker, we'll have:
    Scannell, Clarke, Buckley, and hopefully Barron will return from injury by next season. There should be a few capable reserves in the Academy also.
    Chris Moore has been loaned out to Ospreys and his contract will expire, having not featured for Munster could see him being left go.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Are there any stats on what percentage of a team's total carries a player makes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Jackman saying that Tom Farrell to Munster is a done deal on RTE Rugby podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

Knox is gone, since mid February. Haven't heard anywhere about Salanoa leaving, but have heard concerning things about his recovery from knee surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Knox is gone already, Salanoa is contracted to end of next season.
    That would be very big news if you're telling me Salanoa is leaving half way through his contract, after being out with injury for the whole season!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Doesn't being denied one imply they wanted one?

I don't think nucifora works like that where he gives teams a list of what's not allowed. From my understanding you go to him with deals that are in theory ready to go, and he says yes or no depending on the situation at the time.

edit: i'm editing down a more snarky response. It had kind of an uncalled for tone.

Anyway, what i meant was their best 23 or close to it could beat anyone but i was specifically thinking URC (the comment was talking about a URC result but i should have been more specific). I think they lack something in front row for europe, or at least to beat the top end french teams and leinster.

I do think they need an elite loosehead. I really do not rate wycherly or donnelly at all, and loughman is a back up imo.

Post edited by ulsteru20s on

• Advertisement

To me loughman is a back up for a team with european aspirations. Scannell too but he's a better player than loughman to me. Ireland is just loaded at hooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

I know no injuries is a pipe dream (although Leinster seemed to come close until recently) but if we had managed to have all of this years squad fit at same time I think we would have been semi finalists at least in Europe and only maybe Leinster, Toulouse and Bordeaux would be favourites against us in a one off game.

You really need two periods of health though, one in group stages to get a home knockout and one in final run.

I think depth really is needed in group stages. In the knockouts even leinster would struggle at some point with enough injuries but they still can go deeper than basically any other team.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

I think Munster fans under value Loughman. He's the current back up to Porter, a better player than Buckley, Dooley, Milne, Kilcoyne, O Sullivan at least in the eyes of the national coach.

For me the issue is Wycherley, he's at best a 3rd choice prop from a scrum perspective, injury or international call up for Loughman leave you exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Nail on the head there, I like Loughman. No qualms with him being first choice for us and a bench option for Ireland.

I hope Josh spends his summer getting a fatter neck (not in a gym, ideally in Tbilisi!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Surprisingly only one change to last weeks starting XV with Sean O'Brien coming in for Nankivell. Going 5/3 on the bench with Mike Haley to make his first ever Munster appearance from the bench!

Munster: Simon Zebo; Calvin Nash, Antoine Frisch, Seán O’Brien, Shane Daly; Jack Crowley, Conor Murray; Jeremy Loughman, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer; RG Snyman, Tadhg Beirne (C); Peter O’Mahony, Alex Kendellen, Jack O’Donoghue.

Replacements: Eoghan Clarke, Josh Wycherley, Oli Jager, Tom Ahern, Gavin Coombes, Craig Casey, Joey Carbery, Mike Haley.

No word on any injury to Nankivell, but Hodnett pick up a 'leg knock'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

SOB's first start for us at centre as well?

Surprised too to see little rotation, they're obviously very happy with how name such a strong bench went last week. I think in the first URC season, we flagged badly in both the games in SA vs Bulls and Lions so some lessons seem to have been learned from that.

We seem to enjoy playing in SA, so hopeful for the win here.

We also didn't have nearly as strong a squad that time. Due to the original fixtures being postponed thanks to the Covid outbreak, we ended up going there during the 6N without any internationals. Both those game kicked off early afternoon too, so it would have been much hotter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Tbh if we are serious about getting to business end of Europe we need better props. Sure loughman can put in a good scrum every once in a while but against top level opposition he struggles a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

we've known for 10 years that our props can't compete. especially against the french

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

He started the friendly against Quins I think at 13, but don't think he's started a URC or European Cup game anywhere but the wing.

According to his stats on the MR site, he's started 10 games at either 11 or 14 and 5 from the bench. This is his first start at center in a competitive fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Second week using the Coomb squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

Loughman is underrated but at the same time Healy is the preferred back up even at his advanced career stage. If he was really international standard then he would have replaced Healy in 2022/23

Bright start so far, two good long range penalties by Crowley. Nash has made some great reads in defence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Fine kick from Crowley

That speaker in the stadium is just appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The SA commentators are having serious issue with Munster “not playing any rugby” and winning by 6.

Its very enjoyable to listen to

Beirne is ridiculous at stealing ball on the ground. He's gotten a couple while they're on advantage and got one there on the line when we were seriously under the cosh. Does it every week, crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Beirne is an outrageous player.

Advertisement