Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Nkencho shooting *Mod warning Added to OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,827 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They probably didn't call the Guards on him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

They didn't need to call the Gardai, the Gardai had followed him home from the shop where he assaulted the staff member, in a prolonged and non-violent attempt to get him to surrender.

Post edited by Former Former Former on

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

But now looking to appeal and sue even though they were afraid of him

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

It's as much an indictment against the horrible reporting of the mainstream media, who routinely failed to report the shop worker was assaulted with a broken nose, as it is of people blindly believing social media posts of people being stabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,320 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You reap what you sow. Certain on the Far Left thought they had their own home-grown George Floyd/BLM but the public didn't buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

Skipping over the fact they have an extra sergeant. They also, after this incident, felt the potential for armed gardai to operate without sufficient oversight was something that need to be change.

It's not. Mainstream media have never reported the person was stabbed and all haven't mentioned an assault. I would say it's much more of an indictment on the motivations of the posters who keep falsely repeating thefalse stabbing information.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I read about the shop keeper on "mainstream media".

The only lies being spread that I have seen are on here and social media.

That is solely down to the people spreading them. Even when it has been pointed out to them, they have continued to spread them.

But The Media, something, something.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah just stop.

Your attempts to paint this as the fault of the Gardai for putting themselves in the position to be lunged at/possibly stabbed by a violent dangerous individual is just bizarre.

The only one at fault here was that individual. I've no problem with calling out the Gardai when it's warranted, but in this case they acted correctly and proportionally, but ultimately were left with no option but to use lethal force to end the situation and the danger.

It's that simple.

It's very clear at the time this happened the Garda's equipment and procedures were insufficient. The recommendations will point that out, the changes the garda have already made point that out. Let's not pretend otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Recommendations for improvements do not automatically mean that the existing procedure is wrong. There is always room for improvement in everything.

Again, the bottom line here is that any fault or responsibility for the outcome of this situation lies with the instigator/perpetrator - not those who were trying to resolve the situation through non-fatal means but whom were ultimately left with no other option by said instigator.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I haven't read through the whole thread, but could you summarise what you think they could have, or should have, done in the circumstances where a visibly agitated and unhinged man with a knife was already after attacking a few people. His own family - rather than coming out to calm him down - knew (probably wisely) not to go near him. They only shot him after he tried to lunge at one of them and stab them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭twinytwo

How do you make that assessment?

New tasers - which had already been used and a 40mm projectile - which would appear to be something similar to a plastic baton round (those have never gone wrong in Ireland before).

The main issue a certain section of people will never be happy. If they used a taser and the suspect died from it you would all be up in arms again about why didn't they try something else.

His own family - rather than coming out to calm him down - knew (probably wisely) not to go near him.

His sister claims she opened the door to him and told the Guards he had mental health problems, her claim is she was ushered back into the house. Claims that were confirmed by the Gardaí.

Mr Nkencho's sister, Gloria Nkencho, will tell Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission (Gsoc) investigators that her brother knocked on the door and she answered.

Ms Nkencho will tell investigators gardaí had surrounded her brother by this stage and that she asked them to leave him alone and said he had mental health issues.

The sister was then ushered back inside the house by gardaí and the door was closed over but not shut. The deceased’s three siblings were in the hallway when the shots were fired.

The narrative that members of the family were terrified and just looked out the window as he was shot, is false.

They very much tried to intervene but it happened so quickly there were not permitted to for "their safety"

It is worth noting that there is a claim that 2 of the bullets fired went through a window of house and into the hallway.

The reality is the full facts of what happened have not been made public, that will be the job of the coroner when they get the go ahead to resume the inquest.

The DPP have decided the threshold for a criminal trial has not been met. This decision will have to be explained to the family if they request it. I imagine now there will be a conclusion to an internal investigation as would be the norm.

Maybe but it is also clear that they were completely correct in stopping George from killing people.

The officers involved were exemplary and protected society and that they repeatedly placed their own lives in danger trying to save him from his own actions. To a degree that was beyond reasonable and the attempt to cash in on his death with lawsuits will only lead to the Guards being even more excessively cautious and that will lead to innocents dying eventually.

His sister claims she opened the door to him and told the Guards he had mental health problems, her claim is she was ushered back into the house. Claims that were confirmed by the Gardaí.

And similarly we all saw the videos of them just looking out the window at him. Your own quote says that she only came out after Gardai had surrounded him. From what I recall of the video that was released at the time, he was not initially surrounded and had free access to the door. Is it the case that she only felt able to come out of the house once they had cordoned him away from the door? The videos doing the rounds at the time showed him between the guards and the door with nothing blocking him. And no guard near the door to "usher" someone back inside.

Edit: Actually I just saw one there from the final moments. As heartbreaking as it is, he was standing in the doorway when he turned and started to lunge at the Gardai. There appears to have been nobody between him and the house. The footage was recorded from fairly far away to be fair.

It is worth noting that there is a claim that 2 of the bullets fired went through a window of house and into the hallway.

Perhaps the Gardai don't have access to special bullets that know to automatically stop mid-air before entering a window if it is the window of a house?

In reality, the option that would have "solved this" more cleanly would have been to just shoot the guy much earlier i.e. as soon as he refused to stop on his long walk back from the park. Is that what you are advocating for? I wouldn't like to see that approach personally.

The officers involved were exemplary

We don't know that yet.

All we know as fact is the DPP declined to prosecute.

The Ombudsman can still recommend to the Commissioner internal sanctions, which of course could include dismissal.

If the claim is true that 2 bullets ended up in hallway where there was 3 people, that certainly is not "exemplary".

The Coroner has the power to request the full GSOC investigation and make it public or GSOC can do it themselves.

Like I said best to wait for the full facts to emerge before making absolutes.

Your claim was the family didn't come out, his sister did and spoke to the the guards, this was confirmed by the guards.

Perhaps the Gardai don't have access to special bullets that know to automatically stop mid-air before entering a window if it is the window of a house?

They don't. But that is the point.

Armed Guards have to account for each and every bullet.

If 2 bullets ended up in hallway of a home where there is 3 people, that needs to be explained by the person who fired the bullets.

No. That's a little dishonest. My statement was (and you quoted it to highlight it)

His own family - rather than coming out to calm him down - knew (probably wisely) not to go near him.

I stand over my statement. Do you have evidence that they did indeed come out and calm him down? If they did indeed come out and calm him down, I would not have liked to see him before he was calmed down.

Do you have a timeline of events from the initial assault of the shopworker to the eventual shooting? It wasn't exactly a case of "quick, there's a black fella. Remember how we learned in Templemore than we have to shoot him in 10 seconds. We'll ask questions later"

Hindsight is 20:20 vision. Perhaps they should have had better procedures in place, but they had whatever they had at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Jesus, the guy was ignoring orders from police to put down a weapon he'd been on a tour of his local area with causing mayhem.

By some of the stuff being posted here you'd swear the Gardai pulled him over while he was out doing voluntary charity work and shot him for no reason.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

I stand over my statement.

You can stand over what every you want, I really don't care. 😂

I am basing my opinion on the apparent published facts of the shooting.

Do you have a timeline of events from the initial assault of the shopworker to the eventual shooting? It wasn't exactly a case of "quick, there's a black fella. Remember how we learned in Templemore than we have to shoot him in 10 seconds. We'll ask questions later"

I never suggested any of that. Nor have I mentioned anyone's race, if you want that sort of gutter debate about the incident you won't get from me.

My point was if 2 bullets ended up lodged in a hallway of a home, where there was apparently 3 people present. The person who fired those bullets will have to account for that.

Again it is not my opinion.

Like I said previously it will be up to the Ombudsman to suggest internal discipline or not.

Hindsight is 20:20 vision. Perhaps they should have had better procedures in place, but they had whatever they had at the time.

Well no the standards are purposefully very high when it comes to any member of the Gardaí discharging their weapon especially in public.

Again, not my opinion, I do not make the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Nothing to do with the public or blm or any other such nonsense that people are trying to make it.

A violent armed man, was shot by a well trained member of AGS after all other options were exhausted. Shouldn't have taken so long for GSOC to investigate, they're a disgrace.

Following a message from a mod about a previous comment about the actions of the Garda being close to trolling I'm going to avoid passing any further comments on the Garda actions. The interactions of his own family have already been covered. But I've no doubt that for the rest of their lives they'll regret putting their trust in the Garda that morning and acting on the gardai instructions to stay in the house.

Becuzse the gardai implemented significant changes directly on foot of this situation.

They can account for it if they like. The story (according to yourself) is that the man was not cornered. His family had opened the door to allow him into their house? They were not afraid of him and had calmed him down?

Now, despite him not being cornered, as is shown on video, he ran at Gardai and lunged at them with a knife. Non-lethal methods were deployed but ineffective. In the circumstances, the only option was to fire at him.

The claim that the door was open actually strengthens the Gardai's position of necessity in the circumstances.

He made no attempts to kill anyone, despite having much better opportunities in the shop and post office when no gardai were around. Even when unarmed gardai were around him he never made any attempt to attack them. Amazing how he only turned into a crazed blood thirsty killer when the Garda with guns showed up.

What do you think of the video that shows him standing in front of his own door, with no gardai there actively ushering the occupants inside?

It can be the case that someone did open the door to say something to the Gardai at one point, while at the same time being the case that they did not want to go near the person or let them into the house.

What do you think the Gardai should do when there is an out of control person running at them with a knife - having already assaulted members of the public and refusing to cooperate for a couple of hours? After the non-lethal options fail. Should the Gardai ever even respond to calls about assaults by knife-wielding madmen or should they ignore them and let them continue whatever they are doing?

Regarding the moderator comments, as an aside, the first page won't load for me for this thread. Perhaps they want to fix that. Or is it just me?

I haven't claimed anything. I wasn't there nor did I see any video. Nor would I watch it TBH.

I quoted a witness that was there, whose claims were backed up by the Gardaí.

Namely she did try to intervene, she was ushered back in the house and then things escalated very quickly.

Here it is again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,546 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

He made no attempts to kill anyone

and you know this, and are 100% sure of this fact how exactly?

This is the George Nkencho thread, who are you talking about.

The violent man swinging a knife at people and breaking noses and terrorizing a working class community.

You might have heard of him.

• Advertisement

Okey dokey. There is not much point continuing if you are putting your own interpretation on written statements when actual video evidence might show your interpretation and assumptions to be incorrect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement