Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭RoTelly

JNLR are too secretive, though you could FoI RTÉ for a full list of figures.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 68,765 ✭✭✭✭L1011

RTÉ would not be required to give out other stations figures, though - and he's not on RTÉ anymore!

Someone will probably be able to find the Q102 figure at least I guess. And if it is actually up, all the stations will be shouting about it, so you can draw some inferences from what does and more importantly doesn't get said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭yagan

Q102 would highlight the positives, if there are any.

I mean RTÉ's own figures. At least we can FoI them.

Q102 will as @yagan says only highlight the positives, they will spin not giving the Tubs figures if they are down by saying they have seen a big increase on listeners tuning in on their smart speakers since his arrival!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭TheBMG

these figures won’t be particularly important for Tubbs/Q. It’s a 12 month book and he’s only been on for 3 months.

• Advertisement

Yeah that will be an excuse also. But I did say when this all started that neither Irish or UK radio will have a full idea of how tubs is doing for 12 months. And the excuse will be your not comparing like with like or something.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Morgans

Listened to Cecilia Ahern. Sure it's grand. Maybe of interest to some but not quite sure who.

Ryan again makes no comments or has any questions that someone interested in books would ask or pushes to reveal a love of books. In fact, uses all his times to talk about anything else. Guess the sponsors mean they have to go through the motions.

One thing that was funny. To prevent the revealing of spoilers, Ryan told his audience to turn off and come back in a few minutes. Not quite sure how that would work on Youtube or Spotify.

I don't know who finds this good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

"I don't know who finds this good."

Bobson probably does.

Was in an Eason's trying to spend a voucher which is really difficult if you like a good read. Heard the horrible Tubs ad on the shop tannoy, I asked at the till why was he on and they replied in unison that it's dreadful, they had no say in it and have to listen to it all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Advertisement

Post edited by Brian Scan on

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

That's not Tub's MO. He is only about celebrity, fawning to them, massaging their ego, trying to appear as one of them. It's funny when you think how antithetical that is to the philosophy of the Late Late under Gay Byrne and Pat Kenny, which always made every effort to promote new artists in various fields.

Tub has zero interest in writers, the craft of writing or talking about the issues covered in any given book. It's all just a very obvious vehicle for him to have a career and to rub shoulders with the rich and famous. Looks at his diary. It's a weekly dose (and I mean dose) of "This week, I have been mostly meeting………..(insert celeb name drop)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It's a weekly dose (and I mean dose) of "This week, I have been mostly meeting………..(insert celeb name drop)

And if any of these celebrities we're lucky enough to avoid meeting Tubridy last week, he will then wheel out a name from a previous encounter (Ed Sheeran guitar)… the man is no more a bookworm that I'm an astronaut..

What I find funny is if he wrote the London diary from the perspective of a 50 year old man, catapulted out of his comfortable life and into the unknown, and admitted to some weakness and doubt around that, he would garner a lot more support. I could see him writing about taking a long train journey across England and asking himself……."Why am I here… Am I mad… Have I made a mistake?" etc and it would make for much more compelling reading.

Instead he gives us a weekly celebrity gossip column about who is has seen and who he wishes he'd bump into in London. It would be tragic if it were a 30 year old at this, but to see someone of Tubs vintage at it is just ridiculous.

But then he'd have to be honest and internalise why he's in London. But no, it's full steam ahead with fingers firmly in ears, youtube comments switched off, singing lalalalalalala…….

The internet and all it's trappings are a real killer for Tubs. So much of new media is based on having a real talent, getting eyeballs on your content because it's actually worthwhile and allowing your audience to have a voice and contribute feedback.

Tubs would have been much more comfortable operating in the old world where there was 2 channels, everyone had to watch your rubbish because they had no other choice and they had no voice or input on proceedings. All you had to do was put out your pet projects and collect a vast salary. As he would admit himself, he was born in the wrong age.

One of the reasons I knew he was a wrong'un long ago was his decision to close his Twitter account. Not that theres anything wrong with avoiding social media, plenty of people I admire as commentators avoid it like the plague, but they are generally people that have no truck with celebrity, or getting likes or plastering their face onto everything they can in order to promote themselves. But that's exactly who Tubs is, so it was frankly odd when he removed himself of it. But when you realize he doesn't want any feedback and certainly has no interest in communicating with the plebs who he sees as below him, then it makes perfect sense. He just wants one way traffic. Like state propaganda.

My theory on how he got so far and got paid so much is very much to do with the development of the internet. For a whole generation the internet was the new frontier and from the 90s onwards people who would otherwise continued into the traditional media forms started getting pulled towards this new horizon.

When he was announced as the Late Late Show host I hadn't had a TV for the previous five years. I rarely listened to any of the RTE radio stations as I had cds with hours worth of mp3 files. I even had a minidisc before ipod became ubiquitous, but in all that time I hadn't heard of Ryan Tubridy.

The only time I saw TV was when I called in to check on my aging parents and I remember one night seeing this new presenter of the LLS and thinking it extremely odd that the set was some generic NY skyline that aped some US show; I think someone mentioned that his whole manner is an imitation of some US TV host.

And then I'm gone from Ireland for the next decade. It wasn't until this thread that I learned he was getting paid over 700k years after unemployment had hit 15%. That fact floored me.

I reckon RTE got away with such grandiose self enrichment is because their audience had diverged between the economically active who were more likely to be tech aware but tuned out from RTE, and then those who continued on as passive receivers on broadcast media.

Tubridy's rise was probably into the vacuum left behind by those mostly preoccupied by the internet, and the passive traditional listener wouldn't know the media landscape was changing. All the while RTE could reward itself for servicing the latter without blowback from the former, until we were all locked up together again during the pandemic.

As smartphones became ubiquitous the gap between early internet adaptors and everyone else closed and now those like Tubs who cling on to the idea of one way broadcasting to people can't handle instantaneous reaction which the internet allows.

Edit to add, all this does is highlight the divergence between a national broadcaster and a national media platform. By not changing with the tech RTE has drifted into a cul de sac of national babysitter, when in reality we need a dedicated active online staffed fact checking service for the public to consult to counter the privately owned media platforms like FB and X who profit off stoking social fragmentation.

Post edited by yagan on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Very true.

But he can't admit that truth even to himself. And to think that but for his greed, his feet would still be firmly under the desk in RTE. Getting paid a king's ransom for a very much less than mediocre effort at his job.

I am still gobsmacked at the fact that he was being offered the job back albeit at a reduced (but still ridiculous) salary. I hadn't much faith in Bakhurst before that but I had even less after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

In real terms and if it an annual contract, it would take that long. The first indications will be with the next two JNLR and RAJAR figures. The podcast, especially if it becomes a version of the RTE canteen for HarperCollins authors is an interesting move because it seems to be trying to hold on to some of the more technologically literate members of his RTE audience. He's no Joe Rogan or Vogue Williams.The viewer figures on Youtube for his podcast episodes are interesting (approximately 300 views a day) in that they are not JNLR or RAJAR dependent.

Regards…jmcc

The stations get the 3 month trading figures, not that they are allowed release them.

I though the rule was that the broadcaster can release any information about their own station but not about others, and that if they are to compare one to another they must use the figures released by the other broadcaster not information that is contained in the JNLR. Didn't 2fm get into trouble for this a few years ago?

The JNLRs only make their broadcaster look good and are issued large via press release from the broadcasters themselves.

______

Yesterday

Trading figures are restricted for all uses. Otherwise you can release stuff that isn't in the public report. Direct comparisons that are accurate are allowed.

You're more likely to find number comparisons in advertising presentations than public stuff

Fair point. That phenomenon has played out across the world since the advent of Youtube/streaming services. As we see in US television, what were once more sober, thoughtful programmes aimed at a mature audience have now devolved into a series of clickbait segments. Those shows have an economic imperative to attract new viewers aka the internet generation.

The Late Late show under Tubridy avoided that, partially I'm sure because the people behind the scenes believed it to be too low brow, and partly because of a big wodge of free money coming in every year in the form of the licence fee. This insulated them from worrying about having to cater for a market that might not be already tuning in.

It makes sense really. If the internet is going to turn private media on it's head and completely re-write the rules on how you make money in the industry, there is no way the public service media and state broadcasters couldn't have been affected also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The reality is the guy is highly successful. Has a morning radio show across the UK, weekend show in Ireland, newspaper column, podcast, published author. A millionaire, house in south Dublin on the coast, living in a lovely part of London, children, a relationship.

All the hate listening, hate reading, negative podcast reviews, twitter bile etc shows just how successfully he can get on the mantits of some folks as well.

Hilarious to see tbh. He wins. They lose.

Must be a big fall for Tubridy in going from fronting the LLS with about 300K viewers to a podcast on Youtube that only gets about 300 views a day. Would Virgin Rado/News UK fire him on one quarter's RAJAR figures if they show a major loss for the slot? Has any UK radio station done such a thing?

Regards…jmcc

Look at how streaming (legal and illegal) and Netflix destroyed the broadcast TV model for movies. It even affected Pay TV movie channels. It even forced RTE to try to adapt with its "Player" effort. RTE also started adding Player views to the broadcast views for some programmes like the LLS. RTE should have dropped him from the LLS as soon as he started to lose viewers. Commerical radio seems to be far more results driven than the mediocre RTE management and News UK is more ruthless than most in that respect.

Regards…jmcc

When Pat Kenny left RTÉ my mam was getting her bathroom renovated by a neighbour. Really nice family really down to earth. They don't change they are very regimented, all highly successful children, always think their regimented no change lifestyle had much to do with it. Everyday for the renovation the builder would come sit in the kitchen and Mam would have Radio 1 on, over the years she might swap to hear what Gerry Ryan might say and when Today FM first started she might switch to see who's on, late nights over the years was always the late night call in shows, but largely it was Radio 1, like many other women of her age and generation. So on one of the afternoons as they were having lunch with the builder Mam switched over to Pat Kenny.

The builder was surprised to hear him on the radio, the family were never going to turn that dial, the regiment consisted of Ireland AM in the morning followed by This Morning and then on to Liveline and I doubt that will ever change. But Pat hasn't really crossed their mind since he left Radio 1.

I imagine many have largely moved on from Tubs, he'll slowly drift and to be honest if he can come back in 5 years to the public eye it will be like he never left, however after that most will have forgotten him and I doubt many will remember his time as presenter of TLLS, or care, though this could be said of his successor as well. For many Pat Kenny is part of nostalgia at this point and not much more, but sure he's making a buck so who really cares.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I appreciate what you are saying. That RTE didn't go down the commerical click bait route with the show as a result of the licence fee.

Which is great. That is why we are supposed to have a public brodcaster.

My issue is that having Dermot Bannon or one of the Brennan Brothers on every other week is not public service broadcasting. It is RTE airing a sub standard product because of its brand.

The Tommy Tiernan Show or Nationwide are probably better examples of public service broadcasting.

Advertisement