Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Never saw you post anything about our own Kinahan cartel who they probably work for in some capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

One man. Wow.

What about the rest?

How many are reliant on state support to live here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Far right is a meaningless term now. If having a genuine concern about letting thousands of unvetted single men move into your neighbourhood with nothing to do is far right then the majority of people i know are far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

And yet thousands of them are jumping ship to Belfast and heading down to Dublin. Zero cost to the British exchequer and thousands of em gone. Paddy can rent out as many D hotels as he can get his hands on for em!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Exactly. The people that throw around terms like 'far right scum' are running out of arguments and they know it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I was commenting on a newspaper article about 3 drug dealers. What are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭engineerws

I've been thinking about this stuff recently and I would likely be concerned if 100 tents of asylum seekers were placed next to us for an indefinite period. I would be concerned if it was 100 unemployed or employed Irishmen too.

Maybe that's just because we have kids but that's how I currently feel. I probably wouldn't mind as much if it was just myself.

If the government were to follow processes and get planning involved and build trust then asylum accommodation might not be such an issue. For example, if I knew the 100 tents beside me would only be there for a year, then I'd be a lot less concerned.

The idea of calling scared people scumbags and far right in order to dismiss all concerns is just crazy to me. The government neeeds to engage with people in the locality, communicate effectively and keep promises and then all this might be much less of an issue. That's just my current take, I could be off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Here's a thing. And I'm not joking. Genuine question.

Where are all those men going to get their sexual gratification from ?

Do you keep putting loads of sexually frustrated men together and hope it'll be grand ?

Anyone who thinks this is a normal situation needs to walk past mount street. It needs to be seen to be believed. The tents lining the streets are spilling into nearby streets like chatten street. It's not normal to have so many tents in the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,254 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Pack young men of varying cultures in cheek by jowl, with no diversions, nothing to do all day.

Tempers will get frayed, sooner or later.

Why aren't groups mixed? Families, and single men together, if men are not perceived to be a threat?

Men who are packed like sardines into DP centres or sleeping rough in the streets all the while being told by NGOs how disgustingly racist Irish people are. The government have created an extremely dangerous and divisive environment. For everyone concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

We are the UK's real Rwanda. And we come dirt cheap

The UK and their lackeys always treated us like Rwanda. 🤣

We could put a subway system in Dublin with all the extra manpower. And the workers can have full 21st century rights, unlike the Irish Navvies who dug the tube tunnels.

Could build hospitals and houses and apartments around the country with that extra manpower.

Rebuild all those mica houses in Donegal.

But that might affect house prices ... and we couldn't be having that.

Some might try to gaslight you into thinking that this is a bigoted far right take but there are loads who feel the same. Your take is moderate and reasonable

It's crazy to think that much of this could have been prevented with actual consultation and discussion. The current government are just too arrogant and think they are answerable to no one. They have hugely impacted tourism in certain towns, recklessly spent billions of taxpayers money and created a divisive environment. All because they see themselves as above the little people. They only have themselves to blame for the current mess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I would say that liberally using phrases like far right has been a huge problem in preventing a necessary debate on immigration. It’s happening now regardless, but far later than it should have been.

I agree. People bullied into silence by being called far right. Now the term is meaningless

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

McEntee to meet her London counterpart on Monday.

She's again scrambling around to find ways to get rid of refugees as fast as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But the Irish far right are very real - these fellas called 'IrishPatriot24' or 'IrishLion07' or whatever on social media. I don't know about people protesting outside buildings, but the ones that are flooding every single post from RTE, the Irish Times, Irish Independent etc on Irish Twitter about immigration, refugees, asylum seekers, Ukrainians, McEntee, O'Gorman and so on are all out and out racists and bigots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Nobody is calling anyone "scumbags" for having concerns, they're scumbags for the way they express their concern through arson, blocking roads, intimidating asylum seekers, attempting to condemn people to homelessness by preventing the use of vacant sites and just general dehumanizing behaviour and slogans like "get them out".

Ultimately there is a dire housing and homelessness crisis in this country and it's situation we've been in for some years but it was only the moment when it started to affect their neighbourhood that they took to the streets. It was grand when it only affecting other people. Like everything else during this crisis they'd prefer it went back to being the problem of other people somewhere, those 100 men have to sleep somewhere and I doubt those ignorant, selfish people care where it is so long as it isn't near to them.

The government is firefighting because their self created accommodation crisis combined with the dramatic refugee increase has caused **** to hit the fan. They haven't the luxury of "engaging" with locals, they have to move people quickly to available sites and they haven't a notion how long they'll be there because they have no plan for any of this. If they don't move them quickly then the tents will fill every street in Dublin.

If you're dissatisfied or concerned then I suggest handling it like every democracy and considering your next vote carefully.

The first three paragraphs were fine and I'd agree totally. The last one is poor and makes you suspect. I'll refrain from putting you on the ignore list although I'd assume your reply to this post will be the nail in the coffin in that regard. There are many with concerns as you say, and that's totally reasonable but those people are not racist scumbags. They have concerns and the last thing they want are some far right scumbags coming in and making things worse. There are also far right scumbags who are piggybacking on this and are simply racist true and true and deserve nothing but contempt, as does anyone who stands beside them. They are a legitimate danger to the public as we have already seen one lad murdered for not speaking English. It's high time that a heavy handed approach was used with them and the guards need to see this as a very real threat and act accordingly with the scumbags online who make a good grift out of all of it by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

They'll be raising a toast to paddy in Westminster, thousands of them gone n didn't cost a fiver!

Sure ye might take em back when the corporation tax dries up Rishi? Course we will paddy, course we will!

This is how a lot of people in the village feel. They don't want the far right creeps that rile people up online to be sending far right scumbags to the place to protest.

I just watched the McEntee video where she calls the EU migration pact a 'game changer'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Downlinz

If Roderic O'Gorman rocked up to Newtownmountkennedy a few weeks ago in the interest of "consultation and discussion" and was completely transparent in informing the people there that they were going to use a vacant site to tent 100 asylum seeking men and that there was no alternative due to the housing crisis and lack of other available sites and they didn't know how long they'd be there since the situation is completely out of control but that they'd provide security on site to prevent any disturbances to the locals. How do you think that'd be received?

Consultation wouldn't change anything because the locals wouldn't accept the plan proposed regardless and the government doesn't have alternatives given the rate of refugee increase every week so they have to source vacant sites at a frenzied rate and use all of them.

At some point the public need to accept that we're in a dire accommodation crisis and you can't simply opt out of the consequences and pass them on to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭engineerws

I think there's a good person inside everyone but then life isn't easy and people sometimes make bad choices that can compound over time etc. I hate the term scumbag.

You seem to be on the politically acceptable extreme and seem similar in your rage to those who attack people based on skin colour/ language etc. Your position seems like the priests of old dictating to everyone how they should live their lives and excoriating those who transgress.

The person who attacked and murdered that person has committed a very serious crime and the Garda and courts are there to enforce justice in such crimes.

I don't equate murder to a mother being concerned about government unilaterally circumventing planning laws to place people in tents beside them. I'm trying to understand how people could get so worked up and have to put it down to a government that refuses to listen and tries to surreptitiously achieve its aims instead of being transparent and honest and directly addressing concerns.

Instead the government make decisions that impact others but not them personally and if people voice concerns they are scumbags, far right or racist according to you.

Seems mad. By all means filter me, it'll save me having to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I'd Imagine they thought it would be a deterrent, the experiment clearly didn't work, time to put them into.accommodation

• Advertisement

So you didn't read a word of the replies and doubled down on the "theres no far right" angle. Trying to make it look like the only options people have is that you're with the government or with the far right is not going to work but good luck with that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement