Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

You’ve hit the nail on the head. When talking among people who live on these islands and have skin in the game, “these islands” is apt. But if you want to simplify the geographic location for those who’ve never heard of Ireland on your international travels, then feel free to say Ireland is a little island to the west of Britain and therefore part of the British Isles.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Suckler

All I’d wanted to say it should be easier for citizens of Ireland/Northern Ireland/Isle of Man/Wales/Scotland to fly between those countries!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

what was it called- I must show it to some of my students.

Both their parents and I are trying to get them to at least have a back up plan if anything happened the fishing industry.

They don’t even have value in the leaving because fishing will always be profitable.

And yet here we are!

It’s mad the rabbit holes we go down and how discussions meander on here 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

That sounds more like the Isle of Man. Why not say that Ireland is an island on the west of Europe?

I would say the use of "these islands" was a necessary fudge at the time, (obviously not an everyday term). I just showed it as one example to show the term British Isles is recognised as an obsolete and inappropriate term for Ireland and Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

When in fact the opposite is the case if there is to be any hope of a manageable degree of climate change.

If we can't transition towards a functioning sustainable transport system within these (little) islands (!) without aviation except for exceptional needs, the goose is cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,488 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I object to use of the word Ireland to name this country.

Why should it be used when it's the Sasanachy's name for Eire. Eire is our original title as gaelige.

Eire became Eirelonde in the 16th century and then became Ireland.

However British pathe used the title Eire in their broadcasts and reels in the 1900's after independence to not cause offence and some eire people took offence with this and thought it should be Ireland.

Most refer to these lands as Britain and Ireland not the British Isles or "these islands" as used in a specific document. Anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Suckler

Doesn’t the added tax not magic away the bad stuff and solve the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭enricoh

I forget tbh, was on from 9.30-10.30 wednesday night.

Don't think I'd be recommending any of mine to go into it tbh. If we sent Dustin the turkey to the quota negotiations he'd have come back with a better deal for Irish boats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,515 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

One of the kids needed a new bike, old one needs a lot of work. Saw an ad on donedeal €50 for a good sturdy bike locally. Was an old man who does bikes up in his spare time. A new bike would be alot more and in a couple of years wont be used anymore. He was saying alot of kids now can't ride a bike, never thought how to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I’ve a Ukrainian student who’s at that at the moment- always fixing something and solving problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I see that Glanbia/Tirlan and Aldi are not going to be at the ploughing championships this year. I haven't been to the ploughing for the last 8 years and I doubt I missed much.

Pissing off their stand holders.

Dinosaur event now.

Took an event built it up. Then killed it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

yea everything has a life cycle. The ploughing is on the way down. Smaller events like tullamore show which target the ag sector is way better. They should learn from the ploughing and not try make it too big and target everyone .

I wonder what were glanbia paying for the stand

think o heard about €250k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

How in the name of all that is holy could you justify charging that

I should clarify that was their budget so probably included labour costs associated with staff working there and expenses for staying there etc

anyone watch Leo o late late though he looked younger and more relaxed without the weight of the world on his shoulders

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Ireland was referred to as Hibernia when Romans conquered Britain. The Anglo irish treaty of 1922 refers to officially the Articles of Agreement for a Treaty Between Great Britain and Ireland. Eire came into the mix by the FF government using irish postal stamps from the 1930s. Thus the British adopted it. From 1922 to the Dev government we were known as the Free State. The Republic of Ireland came about in 1938 by FG government.

Not sure when British Isles began or ended. British produced maps in the early years of the foundation of the state referred to the British Isles. I think WW2 changed that thinking.

Wtf is wrong with people just heard of a bomb threat call on the minister for justice house. She wasn't home but her oh and kids were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

It's bad in fairness. They need to be caught abd severely dealt with.

They've managed to get sympathy for the most inept minister in history as well which is also unhelpful.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

It's part of Putin's war with the West.

German right wing group have been shown to be getting money from the Kremlin and having their whole manifest written out by the Kremlin for the next 18 months.

Don't be surprised if there's someone killed yet.

The louder these groups shout and act means the more pain Putin's regime is feeling. It'll go till Putin is no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The bad actions of a small number of thugs does not excuse our inept government of a policy of open borders free for all .80% of Irish citizens oppose this government policy yet our ministers act with authority against the majority wishes .I can not see what connection Putin has with the Irish government policy just more spin bs

Putin recognised how to use emigrants as a weapon against the EU. Remember that boy washed up in Italy. Fleeing Assad's war in Syria backed by Putin. Putin's war in Syria just demolish neighbourhoods and villages. Sound familiar?

Putin's forces in Africa also "encourage" everyone in Africa to move north. The warlords in Libya paid by Putin and he entertains them in Kremlin, boat these across the Mediterranean to Europe.

We are part of EU policy. The Kremlin just recognised how to use the welcoming individual assylum policy as a weapon against the EU.

It doesn't harm to look up and see what's occurring and how all are being used. Refugees, policy makers in Europe, these far right loons paid by Putin (and remember the originators came across from england), all being used.

Would I be shot down if I suggested some of the people protesting against migrants being housed in their area are really protesting against a lack of resources in their area in general?

Similar to the water protests, which weren’t really about water. People didn’t want the Govt pushing more costs on them.

Similar also to the 2 recent referendums? The wording of some archaic document wasn’t going to impact the majority of people but having the Govt and media browbeat us was another push too far.

This isn’t some anti-Govt rant. I’m just saying sometimes the surface protest isn’t about the real underlying issues. But it suits the Govt to simplify and distract from the underlying issues by saying people are racist, they want water/everything for free, and they didn’t understand the wording change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Tractor derated itself today again. More mothafuppin adblu shoite codes galore. It's only back from the adblu pump being changed a few weeks ago. Holy jaysus

Advertisement