Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭yagan

The problem for Tubs though is the Barter acc backhander won't be forgotten by those who did take a cut.

It took over 8 months to secure a disc jockey seat in London with a Paddy Power sponsorship sweetener.

Dee Forbes is still at large and TV license inspectors say their job has become impossible. You can be jailed for refusing to have a TV license but not for misdirecting funds at the national TV station. We're still very much in the fall out zone and this government is very much coasting to the next election so a change of government will have an easy target to get the public on board by zoning back in on the Barter acc payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I have yet to listen to the Bookmans video podcast. But I do have more questions.

1. What books did Ms Ahern chose, and why?
    2. How is the podcast structured. Is it a light magazine show with books as a jumping off point. Or is it a proper exploration of the books. An analysis of the text, themes, how the have effected the guest etc.

Basically is it "I like how Lee Childs writes tight minimilist sentences. It is reminisicent of Hemmingways use of language. Which is an intregiguing juxstaposition to the pulpy repetitive nature of Childs novels" Or is it "I like Of Mice and Men cause it" "reminds me of my time at school", "that time I was in California" or "Sure everyone knows a Lenny and George".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭RoTelly

And I'd argue that RTÉ are playing down much of the discontent that the audience have with the broadcaster.

Also those same people are really put out by what has happened in RTÉ.

Post edited by RoTelly on

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Morgans

It is barely B. At least you'd pick up the characters names.

I see you like the Jason Bourne series of books. I LOOOVE the films. Yeah, me too. Matt Damon is great. Wouldn't it be great to go for a swim in the forty-foot today, with a bag of cans? I LOOOOVEE Matt Damon. Such a cool guy. Did you ever go knacker-drinking when you were younger?

Have you read the books Ryan? Yeah, No. Its a great escape, and they aren't too long. I LOOOOOOVE getting lost in a good book. It so evocative. Brings back so many memories. You should all give it a go. If you don't think that you can do it, just do it. You are never without a friend if you have a book.

But have you read the book Ryan??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I got an email recently from Easons which included mention of the podcast. I presume these were the books CA chose, and that her own book is included to show that she is the guest.

I won't be listening, so that's all I know.

• Advertisement

Jesus, that sounds awful. It sounds like being back in school when the english teach asks you a specific question about the chapter your were supposed to read last night. But didn't bother because you had training.

Is it really like that. Any thing but talking about the book.

You'd presume wrong. Cecilia chose P.S. I love you as the book that changed her life. The last book is a Ryan Recommends of two dubs who are somehow in ancient greece/rome (not sure) but it was clear from the description that Ryan was reading the dust jacket in his recommendation - just as Alan did in Mid Morning Matters when arguing with a caller about Wolf Hall.

Awh that is a bit cheeky picking one of your own books. It is just a cop out. You are not really engaging with the format.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

The problem for Tubs though is the Barter acc backhander won't be forgotten by those who did take a cut.

Very true.

I'm actually reading the Glorious Exploits book, but I heard about it by an online review months ago. It's enjoyable, it's jocular in the manner TV series Plebs, which it has to be considering the setting of the plot around Athenian warriors being starved to death in the quarries of Syracuse.

I'd recommend it to anyone fond of a read set in antiquity.

Edit to add, I wouldn't describe the two main characters as Dubs in ancient Greece, they sound more English working class, but some might argue that in essence that can be the same thing.

The writer has been living in England for years and its English phrasing I was picking up from the dialogue.

• Advertisement

She probably didn't put much into her appearance on his new vehicle, probably more a personal payback for any appearances she had on his shows before the whole Barter acc thing blew up.

She can feel that any obligation felt has been fulfilled, job done, move on.

Christ I love this programme. For some reason I cant get it play from 11m40s. The howl at the end is just perfect. Alan thinking it has to do with wolves.

I have chosen P.S. I Love You as I came from humble begins, my father didn't even have a bank account, but he had good friends who would do a whip round for him when times were tough, I was lucky also because my sister was with a lad from a band and they really struggled also, so it was great to be able to get a book published to help out my family.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

Would they have your details at your consent ?

Or are they spamming the nation ?

Is there an email address to let them know that they are funding irelands most hated man and will likely lose customers on the back of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

It’s time to @ all these people on Twitter that are appearing on his podcast and ask them, publicly, why they are openly supporting a man that robbed from the nation of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Don't think that it would be spamming the nation as it is a reputable company. It has, however, done something far worse: it has sponsored Tubridy. :)

Regards…jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

"Cecilia chose P.S. I love you as the book that changed her life"

Seriously, whatever credibility his podcast has, allowing an author to quote their own book as the book that changed their life suggests 1) a bizarre lack of understanding on behalf of CS as to what the question means and 2) a more bizarre lack of editorial cop on for not telling her "eh no, that's not what's meant by the question".

I haven't heard this podcast so going on what I've heard here.

But a google of the book that "changed her life" shows this on HER website, so I'm confused as to why this wasn't the answer:

"The Book That Changed My Life
    The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield

To say it changed my life is an exageration but it certainly impacted my way of thinking which is no small thing. It was given to me during a time of great change in my life, by a friend who read it during a period of change in her life. I was twenty one years old, I’d just got my first book deal for PS I Love You and was overwhelmed by the speed and magnitude of change in my life. Not only did it teach me new philosophies but it reinforced beliefs and behaviour I’ve had since a child which explained life in a way I had never heard others speak about. I suppose it put a lot of my private feelings into words. From synchronicity to energies, it opened my eyes to the universe.x

Or this:

https://www.readersdigest.co.uk/culture/books/meet-the-author/cecelia-ahern-books-that-changed-my-life

As I say , I haven't heard the podcast (thank God) so perhaps I'm missing something)

28m00s on for confirmation and a bit of Ryan's "books can move you" patter. Dont want to bog down the thread with long videos so link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfyWpBhyHCw&list=PLFw0yeD_1l3D-7_DD-3D0bzw06oVhuAIG

Yes, very peculiar and seemed like it was missing the point, for her to pick her own book, imo.

I noticed when I was in Easons a few weeks back that the books David Walliams had chosen were on a display with some reference of course to Tubridy. I presume they will add the choices of the other authors as the podcast goes on.

I won't be listening anyway and I don't read Cecilia Ahern's books, but I know she has had enormous success. So it's not as if her own book needed that publicity. 🤷‍♀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭hawley

I don't think that there's going to be any great rush from successful authors to get on his podcast. The number of views on YouTube are miniscule. I watched some of the first podcast and I thought that it was very poor. Don't know who it's actually meant to appeal to. He would have been better off focusing on new books and up and coming authors, but that would involve actual work.

I don't think that there's going to be any great rush from successful authors to get on his podcast.

I agree. I suppose he and his agent have enough contacts to get a few well known authors on board.
    He definitely won't go down the route of anything except those who are already well established and successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The authors so far are published by HarperCollins. HarperCollins is owned by News Corp. Virgin Radio is owned by News UK. Let's see if a pattern emerges. The books seem well aimed at Tubridy's demographic (possibly apart from the Philip Larkin one). This is all about shifting books and the books promoted are fast sellers.

Would Tubridy have the pulling power to get famous authors from other publishers not a book tour? Let's wait and see.

Regards…jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

1). He didn’t rob anyone.

2). People who are successful tend not to read the comments and worthless opinions of oddballs on sites like Twitter. Why would they?

Honing in on the bookman persona it could be seen as an act of defense against the reality of internet age. Books don't speak back, unlike the voltage laden internet that removes all distance between those who use it, it spares no one, unless they turn off the comments on their Youtube submissions.

Despite Tubridy's need the internet won't let the past be shut and put on a shelf to collect dust. To quote Eric Hoffer, "The future belongs to learners, whilst the learnéd find themselves perfectly prepared for a world that no longer exists".

To expand on the above, for communications the internet is now the highstreet, and one way broadcasting is the legacy. By not engaging with the Barter acc business he only draws more attention to it, especially if he does find a broadcasting seat on NursinghomeFM.

Post edited by yagan on

1. Not technically but morally there is an issue
    2. So why do these @ people support him on Twitter / Instagram etc (Have to say I have not noticed either supporter or non-support of Tubs, save for your good self). - Sorry read the original post.

@ - ing people on these site serves little purpose TBH. I recently took at look at some tweets from yester-year at how positive Dee Forbes was for RTÉ… same people seem very quite now. Ah well such is life.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

To anyone who doesn't know Tubs, that does sound very impressive indeed. He appears on the surface to be a never sit down, entrepreneurial power house. A self made man.

In reality…………

• His radio show in the UK is the equivalent of a heart surgeon leaving Dublin to take up a job as a first aider.
    • His weekend show, see above.
    • His newspaper column is less Jeremy Paxman and more Jeremy Clarkson with a brain injury.
    • His podcast isn't a self startup passion project, more a shallow, low rent sponsor deal based on marketing and book sales for Eason.
    • His published author status is no more impressive than that of Wayne Rooney or Jordan the Page 3 model. In fact, I'd say there's more literary heft in Rooney's effort.
    • His enviable bank balance, well………… we don't need to re-hash how he came about those ill gotten gains. The answer is in the name of this thread!
    • He does have kids. And a girlfriend. I'll give him that. I don't think Dee, Noel or his FF connections helped him with those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

even Marty Morrisey has a girlfriend, ….but,of course where he mighn’t have it in the looks department, he has it in his intellect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Nobody is biting. You may have to increase your 75mins per day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Oh, rumour on the GAA club dinnerdance circuit is that Marty has it in other departments as well. They don't call him "The Clare King Cobra" for nothing……….

Advertisement