Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 juicer

I think you are better off reporting via traffic watch.

That way it gets entered into the system on the spot on a guard will have to follow up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Another near miss in the Phoenix Park this morning. Car accelerated out onto mini roundabout near Castleknock Gate. I had to lock the wheels to avoid being hit. He never even turned his head in my direction despite me being on the roundabout before he reached the junction. Hand signal, daylight flashing mode on lights and bright coloured top/helmet and he was still oblivious. Car was moving too fast for me to note the reg, so I didn't report it.

Same roundabout I got hit on last year. The mini roundabouts seem to be worse for this kind of behaviour, or maybe it just seems that way because there is so little space on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

NO it's definitely not dangerous mini roundabouts...its dangerous wreckless driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've noticed the same behaviour even when driving through those roundabouts. You have to be ready to slam on the brakes because people heading straight on Chesterfield avenue never bother to check that someone might be entering the roundabout from the side roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I think he didnt see you because he didnt look for you. No amount of lights or reflectors will save you if the driver doesnt actively look …. ie is not on auto pilot and engages brain!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

This guy was coming from Ordnance Rd and exited onto North Rd. It also amazes me how many people will be indicating right (ie staying on the roundabout) while taking the left exit. On the positive side, every driver approaching from behind slowed and let me merge into the approach to the roundabouts, so they are not all zombies out there.

I think the mini roundabouts in the Park can feel more dangerous because there is less space between exits to react to someone failing to yield.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

+1 on the roundabouts in the Phoenix Park and particularly the one at the Castleknock end, the most likely source of conflict/danger on my commute which involves the full length of the quays. Have nearly been t-boned a couple of times at the Castleknock end as I come from Ordnance Rd taking 3rd exit onto Chesterfield Ave.

A few years ago I had a particularly aggressive driver try to barge through and when I jammed on and practically stopped he overtook and went over the bricked/paved roundabout itself just missing the central lamppost. 100m the other side he then pulled into the cycle lane roaring all sorts of obscenities. Reported that lunatic as I actually witnessed the same driver clip another cyclist exiting the Phoenix Park onto Park Gate street a week prior, made a statement in Cabra garda station and all who advised me they were aware of him so must have previous convictions but never heard any more on the matter.

Just last week I had a driver overtake into the last roundabout after the zoo, it's particularly narrow there and he had one wheel up on the paved median barrier. When I caught up with him at the lights at the park exit and congratulated him on his lack of progress and the close pass he was surprised and proclaimed there was plenty of space. When I then confronted him on his lack of windscreen paper work (no tax, insurance or NCT cert) he advised they were all in the glove box. I had every intention of reporting him as the guards might actually act on the lack of paper work but I must have noted the reg incorrectly as a subsequent check advised so such reg existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭mvt

Yes, that particular roundabout always sucks the joy out of a few laps round the park- glad to hear you are OK this time.

Just saw the RSA advert there onTV , the one with Immogen Cotter, aims to put faces on bikes, we are real people with families, visually powerful enough 🤞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

maybe you didnt note the reg wrong …. maybe he has dodgy plates (goes with the roadcraft and lack of window paperwork!)

stay safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

I was chatting to a friend at lunchtime who challenged an illegal dumper. Before said friend could get the reg of the dumper's car, the dumper ran around and ripped off their plates and popped them in the boot! I presume they're well used to hiding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I had a really close call yesterday head on with a bus that was so quick I didn't really have time to register fright in the moment.

My poor wife was on the bike behind me and thought I was gone :O

Cycling up Nassau street in the contra flow bike lane along the path of the red line, a gaggle of American tourists step out into the lane where the blue Xes are.

The avoid them, I swerve and leave the cycle lane by going out onto the road around the little bollard things with the plants in them.

Unfortunately when I did this, I didn't see that a bus had gone through an amber at the pedestrian lights ahead at a mental speed and was about to meet me where the black square is. I was a millisecond away from being hit head on at I'd say about 50kmh.

Weaved back in at the next bollard.

Be careful at that spot. I know what I did was really stupid (instinct just kicked in to avoid the pedestrians) but the way it goes from contra flow cycling to literally enough space for a single vehicle to come through at you head on is fairly hairy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I always come down Dawson Street so never knew about the contra flow lane. Does it just spit you out with nowhere to go into oncoming traffic? That is mental

Pretty much. You have to mount the footpad if you want to turn left onto Dawson street without being crushed by a bus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

In my head it was light controlled. But maybe I imagined it because further back as lights

Actually now that you mention it, street view shows a cycle light facing the cycle track at the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah it's 100% light controlled. So when you hit the top of that contra flow lane you should be waiting for a cycle light to go green. A lot of folks don't seem to notice it's there unfortunately and just try their luck with head on traffic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Irregardless of this, it seems like a horrendously stupid design. If there is a light then 100% on the cyclist but even a quick look on street view shows it blended in with the pedestrian lights, why not put it at the end of the path at average eye level where there can be no excuse. I won't lie, I didn't even notice it on streetview until the second viewing. I am sure i would have in real life but it just seems stupid. not excusing anyone riding through but I can see how it would happen.

Encountered a brain surgeon and a rocket scientist on my commute home last night. Cycling west direction in lay-by on Tallaght bypass coming towards junction to old bawn. The Lay-by becomes a filter left turn lane, I checked traffic behind and to my right, when clear I moved to right side of Lay-by to enter lane to go straight on through junction. The Brain surgeon pulled across me about 1 meter ahead of me cutting into to left filter lane frantically looking left to see if any cars etc were coming up lay-by...but she failed to see me when indicating and moving at same time.

Along comes rocket scientist who casually rolls down his window and utters " trying to get yourself killed Bud"

It's getting worse. ☹️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Ah, in fairness you shouldn't have been on the road inconveniencing hard pressed drivers just trying to get home from work to put food on the table for their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kissy_Lips

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm sometimes tempted, if space permits to move out in front of them, and then stop, and look around, and check my phone, check the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Not sure about this one, doesn't look as bad as it felt at the time. Only looked back because I jumped from the surprise as this driver swerved around me fairly fast while I was waiting to turn right. Bit perturbed because they clearly only brake when they're a couple of metres behind me before swerving, you can see a clear dip in the bonnet as they do so. Did they not see/look for me until the last second or do they just enjoy tempting fate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,628 ✭✭✭standardg60

A close and fast pass by someone who has clearly never cycled and doesn't know what it feels like. If they were asked they would say sure what was the issue, i saw them and drove around.

Definitely one to make you jump a bit and not a safe overtake at all, worth reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

To me, the driver is big-time out of order here because they're passing you way too fast, and I agree with your concern about them braking late. I'd be inclined to pass this footage onto the old bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭cletus

Would the Metropolitan Police have much interest in a close pass down in Cork, I wonder 🤔 🤔 😀

Coming down embankment this evening had a very similar incident at the same junction that I had a near miss about 4 weeks ago. Approaching the lane on the left that brings you on to the road into Saggart, I was doing 48 kph and as I was about 4 car lengths away from lane, a jeep edged out of lane and briefly stopped, the clown then decided to pull out and turn right to go up the embankment, if I was a car, tractor, truck, bus, van , he would most certainly NOT try such a dangerous irresponsible manoeuvre . I braked hard to avoid collision, gave him the "wanker" hand signal. The clown jammed on, Stopped in middle of road , screamed at me ! He was nearly rear ended by another car. Far too many dangerous idiots behind wheels. Sick of it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,628 ✭✭✭standardg60

I'm always wary passing that turn, it's at such a bad angle i'm surprised there hasn't been more accidents.

Advertisement