Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Agree with this.

If Arsenal win it I expect Arteta to get it but no way if dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I said a couple months back that I'd have had Watkins in the TOTY over Haaland and nothing has changed. Watkins has cemented his place, and definitely getting a nomination for POTY. A few weeks back the chat around the POTY was largely between Rice, Rodri & VVD and that the winner would go to the team which wins the league. Something I'm not a fan of, the best player award should be for the best player, not a player from the best team. I think I'd give it to Watkins now as his form has carried on and he is on the verge of one of the all time great seasons like Henry & Suarez both did with both 20 goals & 20 assists. He's currently on 19 & 17 (although some stat providers have him at 19 & 12. Either way, he's been the standout forward this season IMO.

Emery definitely in with a shout of winning the MOTY alright. It's a bit weird with Arteta getting it. I say that because Arsenal can win their remaining 4 games and not win the league, but they can also win their remaining 4 games and win the league. He has done his bit up to here but the fate is out of his hands. The margins are so tight and could come down to something trivial like the West Ham keeper randomly deciding to not play the last game for no reason and their reserve keeper throws one into the net last minute to give Man City the win. The same Arteta performance can result in 2 different outcomes. Should Arteta be punished for doin something he can't control from here on out, but at the same time could be rewarded for doing the exact same thing? Man City control the outcome, so surely Arteta should be judged irrespective of outcome (assuming that they win all 4 games of course)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I purposely didn't include this. It's the only one I can think of, and it was a completely weird set of circumstances. It's not really a 'decision'. They got a free, and the ref just didn't see Grealish.

And by the way, did you see how apoplectic City players went? As if the greatest miscarriage of justice ever had happened?

I guarantee you that you can't name many more marginal calls that went against City.

And I say this as a Liverpool fan who believes Wolves and Forest have been ridden by the refs worse than anyone. I don't think it's corruption. But I don't remember the last time I came out of watching a City game, or seeing their highlights analysed, and thought 'they got screwed today'.

Oh, and Emery is Manager of the Year, but won't get it. Followed by Iraola, but he won't get it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

I’d say you’re safe enough there. That statement reminds me of Joe Kinnear in his pomp telling Real Madrid and Juventus hands off Marcus Gayle or Robbie Earle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

lol

It's his first managerial role, will probably come 1st in the non-financial doping league and made it through to the quarter finals of the CL, and he was assistant manager in City.

Not too mention he only has a year left on his Arsenal contract, same as Pep's I believe.

No, no reason at all City would come knocking once Guardiola leaves 🙄

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Emery is or should be manager of the year. Probably should have won it last year for Villas transformation in a few short months.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Do fans really care about personal awards for players and managers; for me they are a non event, I just want my team to win a trophy…fast forward 4 weeks after the season and coming 2nd or 3rd is worthless. Yes you can say the team is developing though if that same team gets off to a poor start next season, the narrative changes so fast.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'd like to see my manager and players getting the recognition they deserve yes. I never understand this "I'd rather win a trophy than xyz". They aren't mutually exclusive like, you can do both, it's not like winning MOTY excludes you from winning a trophy.

• Advertisement

If I could thank this 10 times I would.

I dont think there is anything more nauseating in football than the discussion around the Ballon Dor.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

I suppose the point I was trying to make is you can control winning a trophy whereas the other is arbitrary in nature.

Is Pep winning a 4th league in a row better than Emery coming 4th, people likely to have different opinions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I'd say there's plenty of players/managers who always have an eye on individual awards especially from "smaller" clubs as it gets them noticed. They'd never admit it publicly though they'd get slaughtered for being selfish.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It depends on who's voting for the award I suppose, if it's your peers it must be a nice feeling to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

But for a MOTY award, it should 100% be redundant that he's won the previous 3 as none of them were in this year.

The year that Ryan Giggs won the POTY award, he wasn't even the best player at his club that season, not to mind the Premier League. It was a kind of "lifetime achievement" award. It was a season in which he played less games than he had in another 17 PL seasons and across the 2008-09 and 09-10 seasons he only scored 7 goals. Awards are s**t compared to trophies, and this is just one case in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

He's playing crap and has been all season. Fans have been critical of him and his efforts, as have pundits. He doesn't like it and that Wally Goldbridge called out the alternative Manchester united coms twitter as being a culprit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So he's just not happy he's getting criticism? The United games I've seen he's looked like a fella who's lacking serious effort or is in serious pain but it's not his fault either if he keeps getting picked if everything isn't right with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah now I get some of the anti-alternative comms nonsense posted in the United thread. Goldbridge motivated it, explains a lot.

• Advertisement

More he called out abuse rather than criticism but it's 2 sides of the same coin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So Slot is a done deal now.

He has a lot to live up to. Liverpool will be hoping he changes the fortune of recent Dutch managers in the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Have to reset expectations and give him a fair enough chance I think. The goal for next season goes back to top 4, and somewhere around 2 points per game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I think the majority of Liverpool fans would have grabbed top four this season,, have beaten expectations.

Absolutely, this season Liverpool have totally battered expectations - but if Klopp was staying, the goal would be quite high for next season. With a new man in, it gets reset to what it was for this season again.

Pep has to get moty if they win four in a row end of. Losing Mahrez, Gundongon, Palmer and even Laporte would set anyone back too. Factor in Haalands indifferent form in big matches and it will be a serious achievement to close this one out.

• Advertisement

It's manager of the season, not manager legacy. If anything, having the foundation of a team that has just been rumbling along in utterly relentless dominant form for years takes away from the impressiveness of the individual season. And there's nothing like spending some 200+ million on new players (Gvordial, Doku, Kovacic, and Nunes) to take the edge off the couple of departures. For anyone else, a 55 million international winger is a key first team signing, at City he starts less than half the league games, and only 1 champions league game. There's not many other clubs could go shuffling the most expensive centre back in history off to fullback either.

For me it's an easy decision in Emery, unless Arteta can pull off a huge league win.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I really hope you posted that with your tongue in your cheek.

Spurs fan eh?

Can't be Emery cos he's beaten ye to top 4.

Can't be Arteta cos Totteringhams day.

If city win the league it has to be Pep. That’s all I said. Everything else is irrelevant really. If arsenal win it then Arteta deserves it.

So a manager doing the same thing that he's done for the last 3 years but with less points and a worse goal difference should win it?

Naw, not having it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Surely you have to look at the team expectations at the start. City were expected to win the league. There's a high chance they'll do that but they've not been as good as the last few years so it's easily arguable that Pep hasn't done a great job.

Arteta has arsenal around where they were expected. If they win it then he'll have exceeded expectations so will probably win it.

I'm not sure anyone had Villa qualifying for the champions league so Emery has exceeded expectations.

Pep is a genius.

But he lost Mahrez (who was never as integral as people make out), and replaced with Doku. Inconsistent, but regular impact.

Lost Gundogan. An all-timer. Gets Kovacic, and spends 50m on Nunez to replace him.

Palmer wasn't a loss. He let him go. Palmer was never getting big minutes if he stayed.

He also bolstered his defence with the best defensive prospect in Europe - Gvardiol.

His squad wasn't decimated. And whatever he lost, he was given replacements for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Liverpool battered expectations?

After finishing 5th last year and not really troubling the top 4 race, and then replacing the entire midfield in one go - being involved in a title race until the last few games was definitely not on the cards. I can't speak for anyone else, but my own expectations and hopes were to ideally be in the running for top 4 come the sharp end of the season. I'd zero expectations of any sort of a title run.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Lauras Law

I could never buy into the idea of Liverpool overachieving this season. It's less than 2 years since they were 2 results away from winning the the quadruple and many thought they were the best team in the world. Any Liverpool fan will tell you that they have the best manager in the world, and most Pool fans would argue (at least up until a few weeks ago in the case of Salah and VVD) that they have the best GK, CB and Forward in the world. Add to that their world class full backs, a striker that has cost £76m, and a new midfielder that looks like one of the best transfers this season, it just seems crazy to me that fans claim that anything more than top 4 from this team is an overachievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If Pep retired tomorrow, I've no doubt Arteta would be top of their shopping list. He used to be Peps assistant and has Arsenal challenging for the league..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Then why did a lot of pundits have them either 3rd or 4th for this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Many didn’t have them in the top 4 at all.

Liverpool had spent most of the previous season in mid table, struggling to dictate games, midfield had no energy, Hendo was getting on and Fabinho was practically a different player. Really looked like the Quadruple chase had taken its toll on them. It was only near the end of the season where Klopp found a system to get some sort of form out of the team.

Considering that and the midfield overhaul, along with the questions over Nunez, all anyone was hoping for was a season of course correction and getting into top 4. And with a new manager coming in, target will be the same again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I find the midfield overhaul thing being cited as a negative utterly bizzare. The impoved midfield should naturally have led to an improvement in performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

It’s definitely a positive, but nobody thought that would take them from mid table to title challengers. Even if they were all the ideal players, they’d need time to bed into the system, get used to their teammates etc. Everyone hoped they’d be an improvement and that would result in a top 4 place, and in fairness, they have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Refereeing just gets worse by the week

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

No repercussions to having a bad game on the pitch or on VAR as a ref. The worst that'll happen is a few headlines or they might have to ref in the championship for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think it’s a refereeing standards thing. Someone in their mind got the idea that less refereeing is better, but it boggles my brain.

It's a positive, but we know the outcome of it now. In the summer it was a whole lot of uncertainty. It wasn't the usual sporting director set up either so the caveat of 'Liverpool's transfers usually are sound' couldn't be applied as much as previous summers.

We knew how MacAllister could play as an 8/10 but didn't know about him playing as a 6. Not many knew a whole lot about Szoboszlai or the youthful Gravenberch and Endo was an unknown starting the final stage of his career. All 3 were moving to a new league.

Is the handball for this deemed a new phase of play or housed within the original phase of play, that the offside is part of?

Edit: part of the original phase of play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Mad that you can have 3/4 players who could stake a claim to be in the all time PL eleven, all in their prime, a couple hundred million worth of a supporting cast, and yet supposedly not be considered title challengers.

Ten Hag was supposed to get top 4 with a notorious collection of failures, what does that say about expectations.

To be fair a lot of those 3/4 players have missed large chunks of this season. I know that doesn't really affect pre-season expectations but it does affect actual performance. Personally, I predicted Liverpool to finish 2nd to Man City. I thought we could be there or there abouts but fall up short down the line. I didn't expect the situation we were in in March with the cup runs etc. I thought we would go deep in Europa alright but not the domestic cups. I didn't think Arsenal would do as well as they have done (and finish 3rd) because of the added pressure with CL but then Arsenal basically not playing any domestic cup games has negated that and they had an easier schedule which allowed them to do well in the league.

1 of those earlier mentioned players in particular seems to be analysed differently, and a lot more magnified, than other players in his position too. 1 person might say that he is the best player in his position in the league and the next will say that he is championship level and overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

West Ham are so bad to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i'd say liverpool have the 2nd best squad in the league so are really under achieving this season

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Dour first half. No atmosphere and the game being played at walking pace at times.

Diaz hit the post and Bowen scored a header and not much else happened.

Has to be better than that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement