Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 World Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Si is a very frustrating player.

Most people would have had Si to beat Jak Jones easily

Always reminded in the Crucible that performance in one round only means so much in the next round. First round or two is as much about survival and still be standing with a chance to win it by going on a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Don’t listen to him Barry! Let the bidding commence!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Important frame for Si to bring it back to 8-4.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I cannot understand how Si is losing this match. Jones is brutal. He’s the worst player left in the tournament

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

His self-talk looks horrendous. No teen drama bully could be harder on him than he's being on himself.

It's not a brilliant century after century match, but it's compelling to watch.

3 in a row for Si, back to 8-6.

The puss on Jak Jones.

If Si can hold it together it’s 8-8.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

A turgid affair if there ever was one.

• Advertisement

Jak Jones first match against Anda was even worse

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Mistakes every few shots from both players.

Si is a nice player but always seems to play around the level of his opponent, regardless of who his opponent is.

Finishes 9-7, would fancy Si from here.

Trump will wallop either of them next round

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

He'd make mince meat of jones but Si would make a game of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

haven’t managed to watch a frame of yet this year due to the late night schedule but keeping an 👁️ on the scores…..is a trump v O’Sullivan final possible….?

I’m sure Dennis Taylor is in commentary box with John Virgo as usual referencing the 1985 final and Virgo continuously wondering where the ‘cue ball is going’…….and maybe a few ‘naughty snooker’ mentions also🤣.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Trump V O'Sullivan could meet in a Semi-Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

what about John ( should have been banned ) Higgins….what is his form like and which of Sullivan / trumps side of the draw is he in…?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Hard to say. He used to coast in the 90's the early rounds were a foregone conclusion. Eddie Charlton and the likes. Then if he got to the Quarters he was getting Griffiths. And a lot of his matches he used to try and win with a session to spare. It was only around the Semi Finals he had real tests, from memory.

If Hendry was playing now he would have a lot more hurdles. Where even a qualifier could either give a real test or cause a shock. I cannot remember many 1st, 2nd round crucible shocks in the 90's. I know Steve James beat Hendry the first year he was defending "crucible curse". But in my mind it was very rare.

But in the 1990's it was not a question of if Hendry would get to the final. It was who would he be playing in the final. There were not many players outside the top 6 - like a Bingham, Dott, Murphy who could cause major upsets at the World Championship, back in the 90's.

Plus the style of play is a lot different overall. Even the bog standard top 64 player is likely to be agressive. Hendry mostly just faced "fear" in the 90's. I think Hendry said he knew as soon as his opponent walked out if he had them beaten or not.

So in answer to your question no Hendry would not have it as easy as he did then.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I believe the player Hendry would have the most trouble with is Selby. Hendry gave his opponents plenty of chances, his safety game was poor and he was super agressive. No one was good enough to take advantage for a long time.

In many ways Ken was the proto Selby. Tough as nails but scored heavily when he was in. Hendry simply couldn’t handle it in ‘97. Once Ken showed how to do it, Hendry’s dominance was over.

Peak Selby v Peak Hendry would be fascinating. I honestly think Peak Selby wins against anyone ever. It wouldn’t be pretty though.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

IIn Fairness Taylor gave me a laugh yesterday when trump pulled off 2 massive shots, up and down the table jobs. Taylor said "Trump would be dangerous if he had cue power"

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

This would be the Trump that has won one world championship in 14 attempts?

The Free Ball rule requirement that a player needs to be able to hit both sides of the object ball is too punitive and increases the chances of a free ball by too much. Being able to hit the object ball full ball, should be sufficient.

I suppose they have it on the "both sides" to stop cheating and missing on purpose to gain an advantage. If you knew you could leave just one edge players at this level would be willing to take their penalty points.

I like it to be honest it adds to the drama.

It is awful pity Ken's game had fallen apart so quickly by the time he hit 40 that was it really. I would have assumed his tactical game would have kept him in the mix a bit longer.

For about a five year period in the late 90's early 2000's he was top notch. Every frame won by an opponent was well earned.

Those "class of 92" are only about five years younger than him (and pushing 50) but still going strong.

I know Williams lost and plays a completely different game to Ken. But "sight right" has given him a new lease of life. Pity something like that could not have clicked with Ken. Some of the balls he misses now he never would have dreamed of missing. Sort of sad to see. The "Legends' your is where it is at for him now.

No doubt in 2027 they will have a special do for him at the crucible, maybe that is why Ken hopes it hangs on there for a few more years!?

I think it’s harder to maintain that level of concentration compared to people who complete naturals when they play. You see it now with Selby. He’s either unbelievable or totally ****.

I think being granite simply takes more mental energy than playing attacking snooker.

Ironically I think Ken was a better player in 02/03 than he was in ‘97. But he just couldn’t be beaten.

they/them/theirs

Ken was ranked no.2 in 06/07! I find that surprising for some reason

they/them/theirs

I like to think there's some to truth to the idea that the more "free flowing" players will be able to have longer careers due to having a less draining style of play. Selby and Doherty might back this up, however, I wonder just how valid it really is. Hendry's standard of play began to fall quite sharply at just 30 years old and there weren't many more aggressive than him. He made his last final at just 36. Then you have Higgins who has no problem grinding opponents down, he was still making WC finals in his mid 40s.

• Advertisement

Ranking system legacy of his previous good years, world finals etc. Was the ranking done on a two year cycle then? He was 11 the previous year. I had a look at his ranking list very consistent

1994 to 2008

11 - 7 - 9 - 7 - 3 - 4 - 7 - 7 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 11 - 2 - 4

2009 - 2020

18 - 44 - 30 - 29 - 35 - 27 - 33 - 45 - 57 - 65 - 56

Hopefully, by the law of averages Ireland will have someone at least occasionally getting to world championships proper every 20 years or so?

Advertisement