Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Shehal

Billy f**king burns…

Tomas Albornoz, the Benetton 10 has been quality tonight with ball in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,834 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Jesus H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Shehal

Ulster have done this to themselves, it's whatt they get for keeping wasters like Burns and Addison in their team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

That is gross incompetence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,834 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

good response. Need to take the losing bonus off Benneton don’t they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I don’t even enjoy wins anymore, as infrequent as they are, just relieved it’s over

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Thought that was decent tonight certainly in attack. Benetton are a good side and I wasn't too sure we'd win. The pack fronted up, encouraging when you think of the young lads like Stewart, Wilson, Sheridan, McCann and Crothers, but Cooney was a class apart.

I see a bit of frustration above at Addison. I get it, his mistake for the try was really really poor, but actually overall he had a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Ach lads, give yourselves an uppercut.

Great win, against a very good team, less than two months after firing our head coach and, subsequently, CEO.

We are improving.

The second quarter tonight was really good. Quiet start though, but as you say that Benetton side is very good. Richie may be on to something.

Stockdale was good tonight, but I wish he'd kick less and back himself more, also, and I might be on my own in this opinion, but Ethan McIlroy needs to start, probably at 15. Lovely footballer and great in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ersatz

I was impressed with Ulster tonight. Benetton are a good team and kept coming back but the they kept their heads when this was a game they might have lost. Stupid mistakes and errors are way too frequent but when they played well they were very good tonight. Hopefully green shoots.

Interesting BBC NI interview with Murphy after the game. Izzy was picked ahead of Treadwell, and Crothers got the start ahead of the Reas because his performances in training demanded it.

That was a formidable Benetton pack, with only one player who wasn't an international, and we win with a pack with Stewart, Wilson, Sheridan, Crothers, McCann and Izzy off the bench. That's a seriously callow set of forwards, and they did well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

It's callow currently but 1 or 2 seasons of senior experience/conditioning could form a serious pack predominately home grown.

Stewart, Wilson, Sheridan, Izzy, Crothers, McNabey, McLoughlin, McCann.

Take some lessons from Saints over preseason and add some timber.

Exactly. Here's hoping.

If Max Deegan would rather stay at Leinster and be part of games like this one versus the Stormers than come North and compete, we could probably do without him.

Tough one, I've thought for two or three years that we should try and get him, but to be honest I'd rather we stuck with McCann, Sheridan, Crothers, McLoughlin and McNabney, we've also a few others in the works like Joe Hopes, Bryn Ward and Josh Stevens. I suppose replacing Ewers experience would be useful, but I don't know if Deegan is really any more experienced that someone like McCann at this stage. Plus we still have Timoney and the Rea brothers.

Even having stalled in his career, Deegan is comfortably better than Matty Rea.and Greg Jones.

In Different now on the thought of Deegan coming now that we appear to have some players coming through. But as Paul says he'd add more than Matty Rea/jones would at blindside and provide some rotation for Timoney at 8.

What I do for a couple of the Stormers 2nd rows to add some ballast!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Has Ewers been confirmed as leaving? I think it would be better to stick with him for another year and bring on young lads who'd overtake him during the season, rather than sign Deegan on a two year contract.

He's strongly rumoured to be leaving, but I haven't seen any confirmation on this.

• Advertisement

Regards the 10 situation, is there any mileage in approaching the IRFU and Leinster and offering to take Sam Prendergast on loan for a season, during which time we can stabilise our finances a bit (hopefully) and also have more time to seek out a 10 from elsewhere.

That way Prendergast gets 15-20 games next season as opposed to 5 or 6 and Ulster get to go after a lot more available out of contract 10s for the 2025/26 season who can give a 3 year contract to and build a team round, and who knows we may even produce one or two quality 10s of our own in the next 3 or 4 years.

• Administrators Posts: 53,798 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would be strongly against this to be honest as the biggest benefactors of this sort of arrangement would be Leinster.

no point in us helping them out with no long term benefit for us.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bate the fish suppers into him until he bulks up and never wants to leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭hold my beer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Frans Ludeke taking the reins next season?

Yes & no, opportunity for Ulster to put their best foot forward and convince players after they come they could flourish if they stay.

It's not about persuading Prendergast to stay, it's about giving ourselves breathing space to find a longer term solution to the 10 issue. We're only going to pick up scraps between now and the 24/25 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Ulster need to beat Scarlets away preferably with a BP and get something out of their game at home to Leinster to be in hunt for top 8 and CC spot.

Bernard Jackson saying he's hearing from his old pals in Wales that Payne's coming back

• Advertisement

https://www.the42.ie/ireland-women-australia-6369540-May2024/

This is great, but if they would just let Ulster play against international teams, we could make a serious dent in that deficit.

Advertisement