Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

suspended. turns out if a keeper gets a 2nd yellow in pen's he does not get sent off but suspended for the next game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Gotcha.

Thought it was a bit late in the comp for any sort of second string loyalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Imo it was half a dozen of one against the other and harsh to call it as a foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Not sure but it's the stats that Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal etc use when recruiting players.

Shots on target is a fairly pointless stat really.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Ah it’s definitely a foul. You would expect it to be given in real time, but I’m surprised they overturned it on VAR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This xg crap has to stop. The math is all over the shop, it's ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

For xG do they not break the pitch down into smaller sections and then analyse how many shots have been taken from that area and how many goals were scored from those shots?

It's obviously only a rough guide in general but it does have some merit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I really don't get all the whinging about the existence of some of these stats… fair enough if its specifically in relation to someone using them incorrectly to make a point that isn't backed up or something - but the stats themselves are just small pieces of data, none of which paint a whole picture on their own, but are together useful to show the broader shape of a game/player/season. Nothing to be upset about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

xg is not useful at all for analysing a one off game, unless for people who can't judge a game by watching it.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

You can say that about all stats surely? Where I find these stats useful is for getting a picture of a game that I haven’t watched. xG is useful because rather that just looking at shots on target and assuming that one team could feel hard done by if they haven’t won you can use xG to get an idea of the quality of those shots

For example I didn’t watch the Liverpool game or see any highlights but can tell straight away that Nunez missed an absolute sitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

actually that’s an interesting one, cause he didn’t - it looked like he did at first glance, with a goal kick given after the ‘shot’ went wide, but replays showed the defender got a great foot in and cleared it before it ever even reached Nunez - so in that instance did the xg record the incident the way it was reffed rather than what actually happened? Or maybe it’s one that gets corrected later.

Not useful at all might be a bit of an extreme statement, but it’s definitely far more effective for analysing macro data than micro data.

But the same is true of the final score. The bigger the sample size, the more it’ll tell you about the actual quality of teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I had to look it up. It’s the one he got on target. Once he’s in that position it has to be scored https://youtu.be/J8pwU2yZZuc&t=84

As is whatever rubbish you posted. I wonder how football clubs signed players before these pointless stats arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

xG I wasn’t sure about till I saw a post saying basically a penalty is an xG of .71, basically 71 of every 100 penalties are scored, so that makes sense. It’s obviously more accurate the more data they have for every situation. A one off game isn’t much use, so like most things with data the more data samples you have the more you can tell from it, over the course of a season a player exceeding his xG he’s worth a look at, a player underperforming it is probably not worth looking at is how clubs would look at it perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Luka Modric used average about 4 or 5 assists and goals for spurs when he was there for four seasons.
    Stats would say he was very ordinary whereas eyes would say different gravy.

Well it definitely wasn't by using a shots on target stat anyways.

i think xG is a useful stat.

like everyone knows when someone misses a sitter. how'd he miss that? ah, what a miss! thats what xG is, and assigns a numerical value to the chance that was missed.

same goes for a worldie. you take that shot 10 times, and you score it once. xG of .1.

• Advertisement

I don't think clubs ever used assists as a metric, and if they did they should be shot. And then even more so if they are using assists to judge a central midfielder.

There are other stats such as xGchain which can record midfielders contribution in terms of creating chances consistently which are helpful when analyzing midfielders creativity. It's one of many stats what are useful.

It's funny when you look at the 'old school' stats and you realize how useless they are really. There was one going around a few years who where some Man Utd fans used to love parroting the fact that David De Gea had made the most saves in the PL, to show what a great goalkeeper he was. First of all if a goalkeeper is making a lot of saves, that means he is facing a lot of saves and that is not a good thing. And then second of all, deeper stats were showing that while making saves, he was not catching them and instead was rebounding the saves into dangerous areas which in turn was creating another chance for the opposition. In layman terms, he was saving shots from distance (typically harder to score from) but was palming them into the 6 yard box for an easier chance for the opposition to score from a tap in . The old school metric of 'shots saved' was painting this picture that he was great as he was making saves but in reality he helping the opposition with where he was putting the ball and so the new metric of psxg was measuring his shot saving performances more accurately. He was severely underperforming.

They definitely use it, yes. And stats like xg, and it's dependent stats, are a large reason why some clubs have gained an advantage over others when recruiting new players and can exploit gaps in the market. And then you can see the clubs who are spending big money and being left behind as they are buying the wrong players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

xG is definitely a useful stat, gives a very quick glimpse into the type of chances in a game and can give some longer term insights too - like I remember reading about Ireland having conceded 9 goals from outside the box with the total xG for those still being less than 1. So while we should have been closing down better, we were really unfortunate that some of those seemed to be the best shots the opposition players ever took!

I think it helps too that people understand the metric more, I remember at the start some pundits thought it was more of a predictive model and rubbished it when they saw a big difference between xG and the result.

I was watching a game recently, it might have been the Chelsea cup semi final and a player ran through on goal one on one with the keeper, rounded him and defenders got back and he didn't even take a shot. So that didn't even exist according to xg.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Think it’s a cleaner stat when it’s a subset of attempts on goal, like out of 10 shots they had a good chance to score 3 goals. If you start including thing like rounding the keeper or square balls across or anything like that it becomes messier imo.

• Advertisement

If a player doesn't take a shot, then how do you expect it to be registered as any type of shot stat?

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Because xg isn't simply supposed to be the outcome of a shot, or it shouldn't be and its where its really a flawed stat.

It's somewhat billed as the expected goals scored from various types of scenario, but a goalkeeper making 3 points blank saves from rebounds will bump up the xg even though the entire scenario there should be an expected goal of 1,

A player clean through with an opportunity to score even if they don't shoot should surely be taken into account of too. Probably is somewhere.

There's a whole goals scoring opportunities/ big chances metric out there that's different to xg

I think people just struggle to comprehend that the idea of a perfect stat not being possible to predict future outcomes, doesn’t mean that there are stats available that are far more predictive of future outcomes than looking at previous outcomes.

Like, I would think that Darwin scoring a hatful at some stage is a quite likely thing. But he will still probably always have a lower conversion rate than clinical finishers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Michael Dawson continuously going on about how Spurs biggest objective is to stop Arsenal. Shows how much of a small time club they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

why that conclusion exactly? I’m a spurs fan and feel the same, it’s about not wanting to see a local rival win the bloody league. If shoe was on other foot they’d feel the same and they not a small time club by a long shot

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ah, it's natural with local rivals though imo, like United have had a worse season than Spurs but were absolutely more than happy to piss on Liverpool's parade. It's the same with Arsenal and Spurs tbh. I know I'd not like Spurs winning anything myself.

Dawson is wrong on one thing though, the game does have significance for Spurs as they can still get top 4 and have games in hand on Villa, he's just deciding to gloss over the fact that there's pressure on them too 🤣

hopefully we get goals as both teams need to win.

Team to play Arsenal: Vicario; Porro, Romero, Van de Ven, Davies; Hojbjerg, Bentancur; Kulusevski, Maddison, Werner; Son.

Subs: Austin, Dragusin, Royal, Sarr, Bissouma, Lo Celso, Gil, Johnson, Richarlison.

Team to play Tottenham: Raya; White, Saliba, Gabriel, Tomiyasu; Partey, Rice, Odegaard; Saka, Havertz, Trossard.

Subs: Ramsdale, Kiwior, Zinchenko, Jorginho, Smith Rowe, Vieira, Martinelli, Jesus, Nketiah.

I think Arsenal will be too good for Spurs. They have matured a lot since last year even though it may not be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So rather than consider the point honestly, you would rather try to pretend that Rashford and Maguire are on a par with Salah and Van Djik. Whats next, Onana is just as good as Allison?

Stop being so precious, nobody is losing face by acknowledging that Liverpool have some all time great players after all, even if that does mean they should have had higher expectations than the worst United team in decades.

whats the advantage rule these days? cos spurs got zero advantage there

They played the ball into the box. Not being good enough use the advantage is not the same as getting none.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

After Newcastle really exposed spurs high line in their last games, thought that the pace of a Martinelli/ Saka combo would have offered a real threat to spurs high line and offered a lot more width.

Havertz and Trossard in form but not as much as threat on the break. Spurs will press hard so there will be a lot room to break if arsenal can get it right:

Would probably still say their chances were better from a free

At any point they could've stopped and the ref would have gladly given them a free. They chose to try play on. That's not down to the ref.

• Advertisement

havertz hit the back of the net but odegard offside

That was a lot closer than I thought in real time

i suppose if thats the rule then its fine. but then nothing should ever be called back after advantage

goal. hoijberg OG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,791 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

so the advantage rule is decided by the players?

spurs looking dangerous here from set pieces

goal spurs from VDV. from a corner

this looks very close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,791 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

That’s gotta be on.

• Advertisement

offside. sooner they get the automated offside the better

This discussion has been closed.