Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What items are consistently vastly overpriced in Ireland compared to UK

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Randycove

So because Apple and Google etc divert all their profits through Ireland to avoid paying taxes and grossly distort our GDP, we can’t buy paracetamol for the equivalent of £0.60 a packet?

Post edited by Randycove on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭uli84

1£ in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭JVince

Ireland has a different medical regulatory regime that means items like basic paracetamol are not available at cheap prices.

But the Brits would absolutely love to have all the prescription medicines for the family guaranteed not to cost more than €80 a month.

Interesting that there's little difference in price of brand name painkillers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Do they not have a similar drugs payment scheme in England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭GSBellew

What is consistently overpriced in Ireland v the UK?

Average Wage Ireland 2024 €45,000 v £ 34,900 So Labour is overpriced in Ireland v the UK

Unemployment Benefit € 232 v £ 90.50 So unemployed people are overpriced in Ireland v the UK

Pension Non Contributory € 266 - € 276 v £ 218.15 So non contributing pensioners are overpriced in Ireland v the UK

Pension Contributory. € 277.30 v £ 221.20. So Contributing pensioners are overpriced in Ireland v the UK

My takes, higher wages will equal higher costs to the employer which subsequently increases prices to the end consumer.

Unemployed people do a lot better here than the UK

Pensioners are only marginally better off than in the UK, considering the wage differential they are probably comparatively worse off.

Contributory pensioners in both are ripped off, there is no real return on the PRSI / social security payments v's those who have not paid in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Its long been a thing with Supervalue and the others are similar. For example they change their offers every 3 weeks, like clockwork.

If say as above something is normally €13.99 but it goes on "offer" for a week at €7, it's real price is about €7.

Theres no real offers anymore unless they genuinely are stuck with something and need rid, stuff coming up on date for example.

The idea is you see at €13.99 and think ah **** off will you. But when you see it at €7? You've lads buying 2/3/4 at a time stocking up. They are notorious with deodorants etc. It'll be on €3 for small one but then jumps to something ridiculous like €7.50 once the 3 week period is over.

Just look lately they were well able to seel 4 packs of Fanta cans for €2.50 with the real rewards, they are absolute gougers.

Id love to see the actual research and reasoning behind why they do this. Like do they actually sell more in the offer period Vs just keeping things at the realistic rate.

Its only the last few months Musgrave's are giving gen proper offers, I'd love to see behind the scenes cause them and others must be hurting someways or you wouldn't see it. Musgraves especially seem to be almost trying to price themselves out of the market. I've seen 25% increases on their own brand baby spuds in only the last couple weeks. Went from €1.05 maybe a year to 18 months ago, then €1.10, €1.15 and to €1.20 and has jumped now to €1.49 in the last few weeks. Rinse and repeat for a lot of the own brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Fish and chips.

Got charged 30 euro for two fish and chips from a chip van in south Kerry last week, batter was soggy and saturated in oil.

I think it was £32 I paid in the UK a couple of months ago for 4 top quality fresh fish and chips, huge portions with light crispy batter.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Emblematic

A better comparison would be the price of things relative to average or median disposable income per person.

You saw that on thick tok and pretend you experienced it.

I know the exact "van" that it was about - tell me what colour it was if you were really there?

Should be easy as it's quite striking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Small Credit Card sized PCs like the Raspberry Pi computers and associated accessories like power supply and keyboared mouse are a step more expensive here in Ireland. We're a captive audience and the market is too small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Brits possibly but in NI no cost for prescriptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Rice is double the cost here compared to UK. Flour, pasta, sugar, tea, coffee, are significantly cheaper in UK too.

Item £1/€1.17 in Poundland costs €1.50 here - a 28% difference

You silly little boy, why would anyone pretend to be someone else that got overcharged for fish and chips?

The van is white with the surname of the owner written on a brown sign on top, there are two potted plants one on either side of it that you won't see in any online pictures. There's a huge birch tree that fell in a recent storm about 30 yards across from the hatch of the van at the edge of the parking area which is covered in grey hardcore.

The owners name is Kevin, not sure of the name of the lady that works with him but she is dark haired, thin and from eastern Europe.

A simple apology for your ridiculous false accusation will suffice.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They do - and its cheaper than here unless you've got a massive family; but its really badly advertised, you pay for it whether you use it or not, and if you forget to renew it, you get given the drugs and then fined afterwards rather than told its expired on collection and given an emergency renewal as happens here.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/help-nhs-prescription-costs/nhs-prescription-prepayment-certificate-ppc

so you have also been the person whining about it on thick tok?

boy- you really go over and beyond on the whining. Have you plastered it all over fakebook too?

and of course you are a food expert judging by your comments.

• Advertisement

under 18s don’t pay for prescriptions in England and anyone with an illness like diabetes is also exempt from paying, so I can’t see how anyone would pay €80 per month and of course, in Wales, Scotland and NI prescriptions are free for everyone.

im not sure what that has to do with global companies using irelands tax rules to dodge paying taxes and artificially inflating Ireland’s gdp though.

Hi JVince, I'm not looking for confrontation.

You accused me of plagiarism, I proved you wrong and asked for a simple apology.

I can only guess you're one of these guys that would prefer to not apologise when wrong because you think it makes you look weak and you are very invested in being perceived as an alpha figure of on boards.ie.

You made a mistake, we all make mistakes, let's move on, it's a lovely sunny Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭HBC08

Wow,

You made a complete clown of yourself and rather than admit it you're going for super clown level.

Diabetics also get free medications here. And you may want to look at the topic of the thread.

you need to read the post I was originally replying to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ireland has around 44% higher consumer costs than the EU average. The difference isn't just with the UK.

In the Uk, you can get generic Beclometasone (beconase) for 1/5th the cost of beconase here. But that's trivial compared to cars, which are easily the biggest rort thanks to VRT. A couple of years ago I looked at importing a roughly €26K car and VRT was going to make it near €50K.

It was absolutely disgusting that Charlie McCreevy ever got the job of European Commissioner for Internal Market and Services, given the efforts the Irish government goes to to insulate the populace from the EU consumer markets with protectionist measures like VRT and it's control of pharmaceuticals. We have the worst and lowest access to generic medicines in the EU. Irish pharmacists have the highest profit margins in the EU, surprise, surprise.

We can't even partake of ETFs for investment, like everyone in the rest of the world, because we have to have a special tax treatment specifically designed to prevent that.

It's a pitty when the EU talk of free market, they didn't include consumers in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Diabetics may get free medication here but not patients with organ transplants who require lifetime drug therapy, nor cancer patients - if you are working. The cost used to be €144 for medication per month but the cost has come down in recent budgets thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thats down to the Irish Medicines Board requiring a licence for each generic (paracetamol/ ibuprofen etc.) rahher than Ireland being more expensive. Tesco/Boots etc wanted to distribute their UK licensed generic products here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

No, that is a typical Irish government measure that adds unnecessary cost. When something is nonsensical, but just happens to increases the price, it's perfectly legitimate to wonder if the real reason isn't the cost increase.

A few years ago this country banned 5-Htp, St Johns Wort and a whole slew of other herbal medicines from being imported and sold in Ireland, things that were available in every other OECD country, I checked. All part and parcel of funneling Irish consumers to their local pharmacists massive markups, nothing whatsoever to do with the stated reasons of safety. They even had tax payer funded civil servants checking parcels, confiscating them and then sending condescending threatening letters to the addressee - I know, because I had my package stolen and got one of the shi​t faced letters instead. If you ever needed any evidence we have too many employed in the public sector wasting your taxes, that would be a good start.

Ireland does not have medical expertise superior to other developed nations, so arguing medical safety when every other developed country deems these things safe, is conceited bulldust.

Ok, sorry.

Must be a simple coincidence that the comment on thick tok is identical to your comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Bill Bryson used to (half) joke that the way he would gauge the cost of living in any new location or country was he would go and look at the price of a Singapore Noodle in the Chinese Restaurant closest to the main train station.

Coca Cola always seems like a fun benchmark for me too. 2 Litres of Standard Coke in a supermarket:

Ireland: 4 euro Tesco

UK: 1.85gbp or about 2.15 euro also Tesco

Germany: 1.49 euro Edeka/Lidl last time I was there a couple weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

great little thread -sadly a lot of the items mentioned I wouldn’t normally buy anyway - ie paracetamol /medicines

When there was near pound parity I used to do a couple of trips up but haven’t done that now in a long time.

This thread has got me thinking though - if I happen to be up in NI over the coming months I might cost out things I regularly buy such as cleaning products, deodorant kitchen towels etc and do a bulk buy of them if it proves to be worth it - other than that I couldn’t justify the trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

Gawd I'm in some bad form this morning 🙈

Noticed how 2L Coke bottles disappeared here (at the time €2.25/bottle) to be replaced by 1.75L bottles around the sugar tax introduction?

Then noticed how 1.75L Coke bottles disappeared here to be replaced by 2L bottles around the Re-Turn scheme introduction?

I'm absolutely convinced those were sly smoke-and-mirrors ways to sneak some price adjustments in. That and the frequent 2-for- and 3-for "offers".

I took pics of Coke on shelves in UK, Germany and France earlier in the year. Must dig them out.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Buffman

On a recent trip between soft drinks and alcohol I saved almost €150 in the deposit alone, even before factoring in how much cheaper the actual products were.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Where I started doing comparison between prices in Ireland vs the UK was to visit a M&S Store.

I asked about the clothes, and they said, they are exactly the same, - what's on sale in the UK would be in Ireland.

However in Ireland the prices for the same clothes seem 10 to 20% higher, on average.

I've also noticed it with certain food products of M&S. Again Ireland is more expensive than in the UK.

Tesco UK vs Tesco Ireland, - not sure. Some items may be the same price, but overall Tesco Ireland would be more expensive.

Regading the Dove products mentioned here before, I do avoid them, in the UK as well as in Ireland. I've never liked the pH of a Dove soap, others are by far better. Maybe it's a female marketing thing, most female products are priced higher as oposed to those for men.

I think the problem is that Ireland has a relativly small population, it's an island, there isn't a whole lot of production industry and economic performance largely depends on foreign trade with the UK, the EU or Investment from the US. Thus everything is influenced from afar, rather from within the country and a small market rarely means competition, thus the prices remain high.

It's a bit like the price of airfares or cell phone contracts in Canada. A big land, relatively low density population, few competitors offereing the same, etc…

You could say the same about NI! Yet they generally get the same prices as London or Edinburgh

NI and Belfast always had some industrial production exporting something, whatever that something was. Plus they have the pound, I would also presume the trip on the ferry is shorter and thus the transport cost manageable. Most likely the reason is they are part of the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Telfast is about 13-14 euro here Vs half that everywhere else I assume also in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Noticed this in Tesco Nutley today

Treasure island

2 for £5 in UK around €6

33% increase for Ireland

We get them for 2 for €8

Must be the cost of the extra stickers

Vinegar 568ml is 65c IE 35p/42c UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭yagan

Here's an interesting one that's not directly between UK and Ireland, but between Irish retailer and UK retailer in Ireland. Yesterday I conceded that xmas was too far away and I'd need to restock with basic boxer shorts.

So my usual go to has been Dunnes, where they have the a 3 pack bog standard 100% cotton boxer shorts for 11 Euro.

Later I was in M&S, and their 5 pack was 43€!!!!!!

So €3.66 per boxer shorts in Dunnes, compared to €8.60 in M&S. I know the Brits like their posh branding but basically an identical basic product, zero difference in quality, both 100% cotton, yet massive mark up by the Brits.

You are paying for the brand name there. M&S clothing has a good reputation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭yagan

That's a hell of a charge for branding.

I just checked the UK website and the same 5 pack that they sell in Ireland for €43 costs £30 in the UK.

It's like they're still stuck in the mid 2000s when GBP was around 66p/€ and they're damned if they're going to change it if their customers are financially illiterate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

England

Seeing a doctor is free and the current prescription charge is £9.90 per item or you can avail of a prescription prepayment certificate

There are 3 PPC options:

• 3-months - £32.05 a
    • 12-months - £114.50
    • 12 month hormone replacement therapy - £19.80

Things like contraception and medicines prescribed for hospital inpatients and all prescriptions for U18s is 100% free

So if I need to see a doctor for a basic antibiotic it's a grand total of £9.90 to sort myself out

my old pharmacy used to rip up the prescription and give me the antibiotics for a few quid. They were too embarrassed to charge the prescription rate for them. It was a big shock the first time I paid for them in Ireland and a visit to the docs to sort out tonsillitis cost about €80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Well obviously if the antibiotics cost less than £9.90 that does make sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭techman1

And Ireland's GDP per capita is at least twice that of the UK. You can't live in an expensive economy had have cheap stuff, that does not exist in any part of the world.

That's leprechaun economics though, irish gdp is grossly inflated by multinational activity , the cso rightly got reprimanded for the international financial press a few years ago. When you have massive global corporations moving their global revenues through ireland it is obvious there will be big distortions. Real irish productivity is about half the quoted gdp figures. Saying the UK is now equivalent to a third country economy is ridiculous. Anyone can see it is still a very rich country with many things that we simply don't have in this country.

Why are we more expensive, we have higher taxes on everything, higher minimum wage, higher energy costs and we are a small island off of a big island so transportation costs are higher. Probably brexit has pushed higher administration coats down the line regarding British produced goods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Someone in Ireland who notices the price would not buy jocks in Marks and Spencers but would go to Dunnes, so there is not much incentive for them to bring prices down. Likewise a straightforward fleece or jacket would be half the price in Dunnes, and cheaper again in Primark.

• Advertisement

TK Maxx

They use a straight 1.5 conversion rate as a paddy tax

In addition, most of the rubbish they sell is own brand or made to their price points by brands such as aquascutum.

A general overall rip-off with just a few exceptions

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Mannesmann

Magazines. Nearly double the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭flatty

Overall personal tax (what is removed from your salary) in Ireland is shockingly high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭cobham

Apart from the pound to euro exchange rate, there is added factor of different VAT rates such as some hygiene products being considered 'luxery' products in Ireland and taxed accordingly … or is that still the case?

• Advertisement
Advertisement