Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What items are consistently vastly overpriced in Ireland compared to UK

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,963 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Brits possibly but in NI no cost for prescriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,268 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Rice is double the cost here compared to UK. Flour, pasta, sugar, tea, coffee, are significantly cheaper in UK too.

Item £1/€1.17 in Poundland costs €1.50 here - a 28% difference

• Registered Users Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You silly little boy, why would anyone pretend to be someone else that got overcharged for fish and chips?

The van is white with the surname of the owner written on a brown sign on top, there are two potted plants one on either side of it that you won't see in any online pictures. There's a huge birch tree that fell in a recent storm about 30 yards across from the hatch of the van at the edge of the parking area which is covered in grey hardcore.

The owners name is Kevin, not sure of the name of the lady that works with him but she is dark haired, thin and from eastern Europe.

A simple apology for your ridiculous false accusation will suffice.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,004 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They do - and its cheaper than here unless you've got a massive family; but its really badly advertised, you pay for it whether you use it or not, and if you forget to renew it, you get given the drugs and then fined afterwards rather than told its expired on collection and given an emergency renewal as happens here.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/help-nhs-prescription-costs/nhs-prescription-prepayment-certificate-ppc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

so you have also been the person whining about it on thick tok?

boy- you really go over and beyond on the whining. Have you plastered it all over fakebook too?

and of course you are a food expert judging by your comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Randycove

under 18s don’t pay for prescriptions in England and anyone with an illness like diabetes is also exempt from paying, so I can’t see how anyone would pay €80 per month and of course, in Wales, Scotland and NI prescriptions are free for everyone.

im not sure what that has to do with global companies using irelands tax rules to dodge paying taxes and artificially inflating Ireland’s gdp though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Hi JVince, I'm not looking for confrontation.

You accused me of plagiarism, I proved you wrong and asked for a simple apology.

I can only guess you're one of these guys that would prefer to not apologise when wrong because you think it makes you look weak and you are very invested in being perceived as an alpha figure of on boards.ie.

You made a mistake, we all make mistakes, let's move on, it's a lovely sunny Sunday.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

Wow,

You made a complete clown of yourself and rather than admit it you're going for super clown level.

Diabetics also get free medications here. And you may want to look at the topic of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Randycove

you need to read the post I was originally replying to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ireland has around 44% higher consumer costs than the EU average. The difference isn't just with the UK.

In the Uk, you can get generic Beclometasone (beconase) for 1/5th the cost of beconase here. But that's trivial compared to cars, which are easily the biggest rort thanks to VRT. A couple of years ago I looked at importing a roughly €26K car and VRT was going to make it near €50K.

It was absolutely disgusting that Charlie McCreevy ever got the job of European Commissioner for Internal Market and Services, given the efforts the Irish government goes to to insulate the populace from the EU consumer markets with protectionist measures like VRT and it's control of pharmaceuticals. We have the worst and lowest access to generic medicines in the EU. Irish pharmacists have the highest profit margins in the EU, surprise, surprise.

We can't even partake of ETFs for investment, like everyone in the rest of the world, because we have to have a special tax treatment specifically designed to prevent that.

It's a pitty when the EU talk of free market, they didn't include consumers in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Diabetics may get free medication here but not patients with organ transplants who require lifetime drug therapy, nor cancer patients - if you are working. The cost used to be €144 for medication per month but the cost has come down in recent budgets thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thats down to the Irish Medicines Board requiring a licence for each generic (paracetamol/ ibuprofen etc.) rahher than Ireland being more expensive. Tesco/Boots etc wanted to distribute their UK licensed generic products here

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

No, that is a typical Irish government measure that adds unnecessary cost. When something is nonsensical, but just happens to increases the price, it's perfectly legitimate to wonder if the real reason isn't the cost increase.

A few years ago this country banned 5-Htp, St Johns Wort and a whole slew of other herbal medicines from being imported and sold in Ireland, things that were available in every other OECD country, I checked. All part and parcel of funneling Irish consumers to their local pharmacists massive markups, nothing whatsoever to do with the stated reasons of safety. They even had tax payer funded civil servants checking parcels, confiscating them and then sending condescending threatening letters to the addressee - I know, because I had my package stolen and got one of the shi​t faced letters instead. If you ever needed any evidence we have too many employed in the public sector wasting your taxes, that would be a good start.

Ireland does not have medical expertise superior to other developed nations, so arguing medical safety when every other developed country deems these things safe, is conceited bulldust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

Ok, sorry.

Must be a simple coincidence that the comment on thick tok is identical to your comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Bill Bryson used to (half) joke that the way he would gauge the cost of living in any new location or country was he would go and look at the price of a Singapore Noodle in the Chinese Restaurant closest to the main train station.

Coca Cola always seems like a fun benchmark for me too. 2 Litres of Standard Coke in a supermarket:

Ireland: 4 euro Tesco

UK: 1.85gbp or about 2.15 euro also Tesco

Germany: 1.49 euro Edeka/Lidl last time I was there a couple weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

great little thread -sadly a lot of the items mentioned I wouldn’t normally buy anyway - ie paracetamol /medicines

When there was near pound parity I used to do a couple of trips up but haven’t done that now in a long time.

This thread has got me thinking though - if I happen to be up in NI over the coming months I might cost out things I regularly buy such as cleaning products, deodorant kitchen towels etc and do a bulk buy of them if it proves to be worth it - other than that I couldn’t justify the trip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Gawd I'm in some bad form this morning 🙈

Noticed how 2L Coke bottles disappeared here (at the time €2.25/bottle) to be replaced by 1.75L bottles around the sugar tax introduction?

Then noticed how 1.75L Coke bottles disappeared here to be replaced by 2L bottles around the Re-Turn scheme introduction?

I'm absolutely convinced those were sly smoke-and-mirrors ways to sneak some price adjustments in. That and the frequent 2-for- and 3-for "offers".

I took pics of Coke on shelves in UK, Germany and France earlier in the year. Must dig them out.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Buffman

On a recent trip between soft drinks and alcohol I saved almost €150 in the deposit alone, even before factoring in how much cheaper the actual products were.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement