Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well that is silly and incorrect. No matter how it is pitched, or how it is argued: the job of the Senior Manager is to manage the Senior Team. That’s it.

In parallel a holistic youth development plan is required including qualified coaches for all International teams and a technical director.

Mark Canham and the OTB media consensus that says a senior manager has responsibilities in this regard are wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Augme

In a proper function football association they would be separate. But the problem is the FAI isn't one. Ultimately the job of the Senior Manager will be what's written in his contract and what the FAI tell him.

At this rate I'll be surprised if JoS isn't in the role full time in September anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

The money isn't that big of an issue but more the fact that the FAI are a basket case and are messing with the criteria of the managers job at a **** time.

Janne Andersson was paid €200K less than Kenny to do the Sweden job so can't see money being an issue but he turned down Latvia because they want the manager to have a say on the underage.

Stephen Bradley made a great point when asked about the manager search. He said one of the first things I look at when I'm offered a job is who I'm working for and who I'm answering to. When I think of that and then think of the FAI the first thing that comes to mind is the Benny Hill theme music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭secman

Not blaming GAA at all, just stating a fact that historically FAI have always been and will always play second fiddle to GAA both from Finance, Admin and in every aspect really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭secman

Very interesting debate on Newstalk about culture of FAI and how fractured and divided the whole set up is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,130 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sure there's a pile of posters here that would have it solved in a day. Manager picked, below market rates and information delivered to the punters liking . 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Szmodics with his 31st goal of the season to draw Blackburn level against Sheff Wed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I agree. It’s ridiculous. There’s a few posters here trying to make out that it makes little difference to throw a manager in at the deep end into a competitive fixture as opposed to giving that manager a couple of friendlies to have time to acclimatise to the job and familiarise himself with the players. Sometimes it can’t be helped but in this situation the FAI have had months to make an appointment and to have the time to give the new manager those friendly games to bed into the job.

There’s no excuse for it, it’s absolutely shambolic and posters on this thread arguing to the contrary are either being contrary for the sake of it or perhaps just don’t know anything at all about what they’re talking about.

Post edited by TheCitizen on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

It's not an endorsement of the FAI to suggest it doesn't matter if the manager is in now or for September.

At this stage, we know they'd just be picking the next fella to walk passed the window in Abbotstown. It would be better to wait and reset the search in the summer when more able candidates could become available.

Is there any evidence at all that results are better in the first competitive game if a manager has had a couple of friendlies beforehand?

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

I think you might have got to the kernel of the problem. It’s the FAI that’s the problem. Delaney was corrupt but he knew what he wanted in a manager and was able to source money from benefactors to pay the manager. He made a mess of other aspects of the job like development and promoting the league of Ireland.

This current FAI really seem to be in over their heads. Development of the game and promoting the domestic league is vital but it’s a separate job from being the national team manager.

Integrating the senior men’s team with the youth set up to impose a general style of play is perhaps a long term project but right now we just need a decent experienced manager for the senior men’s team. That in house interview that Canham gave when he was talking gibberish about they were after a manager with club and international experience and who would oversee youth set ups was very concerning. The guy didn’t sound like he knew what he wanted or was talking about.

I’d like to see him interviewed by a real journalist who might ask him to explain himself and these difficult conditions they appear to have imposed on the senior managers role. I suspect that he won’t be able to explain himself and that a guy like him sitting in that position is a real problem that needs to be removed before other issues like appointing a manager for the senior men’s team is addressed.

Get him out. Get someone with some common sense in there and appoint a manager for the friendly games in June.

• Advertisement

What’s going to change between now and the end of the summer? If the conditions and restrictions that they have apparently needlessly imposed on the job and the people who the manager will have to work with and answer to are still going to be in place what difference does it make. It looks like they can’t find someone that they want because they can’t find someone who is willing to work with and for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The FAI needs to be disbanded and the quicker the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

There are likely to be more managers available come mid-July between managers who leave at the end of the club season and those who leave after the Euros.

Right now, they can't find anyone they deem suitable. They need to wait for more people to become available. They have set out their criteria and, for now, seem to be keen to stick to it. Better that than getting desperate and giving the job to whoever because some people are impatient.

It would be ideal to have someone in place for the next set of friendlies and have a chance to get some idea of the players before September but it is not the be-all and end-all.

It isn't a good look but anyone they hire now is going to be a reaction to bad press. They should take their time if they feel that's the way to get the right candidate. They should also improve their communication and stop setting themselves up to fail.

They can take their time and appoint someone for June. They have the rest of April and May to find a decent manager. They’ve been spending since last November and before that because everyone knew Stephen Kenny was gone at the end of the last campaign looking for a manager. It’s hardly a rushed job. I don’t believe they’ll have better candidates at the end of the Euros. Wouldn’t surprise me if they end up appointing O’Shea at the end of August that’s if he doesn’t tell them to stick it when they get around to asking him to continue to caretake. I think he should say to them if you want me to continue give me a contract. At this stage they may not get anyone better.

Evidently, the FAI think they can get someone better.

To give an example: Sagnol was a name being heavily linked. If he decides to quit Georgia after the tournament, he'd be a decent candidate. Managing a smaller country and recent experience in a major tournament. If he were available, given he has been linked to us and the profile, would it not be worth waiting around?

This is probably one of the worst times of the year to be looking for a manager. Club teams are very unlikely to be sacking anyone and international teams are preparing for a tournament or the next campaign. Between the end of the season and the Euros, there will be more out of work candidates in July. Especially considering the FAI's money woes, there is the potential to get someone who is currently unavailable. I don't see any reason not to wait around for a potentially larger pool of candidates just because of some end of season friendlies.

I'm not dismissing their importance and the obvious benefits for the new manager to be in place for them. However, if we just wait a bit longer, there'll be more candidates available. Given the clear lack of candidates currently, it makes perfect sense to wait until more become available and I think getting a better calibre of candidate trumps two friendlies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Theyre stealing a very decent living is what they're doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

It's the "could become available" bit that I would take issue with. All the FAIs preferred candidates have turned it down (Carsley,Poyet and Barry).

Who are we hoping becomes available? Not a decent Championship manager because we won't get them. We don't want the likes of Bruce, Lennon and Duff who would take it.

Is the hope Sagnol has a stinker of a Euros with Georgia and then we see if he fancies it? Because if Georgia have a strong showing he'll move out of our orbit.

It's easy to see why the FAI went years without a main sponsor for the international team.

Poyet wasn't a preferred target and talks with him were talking for the sake of talking after Sagnol's stint with Georgia got extended for a couple of months. After his comments about African players they might as well cross him off the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The comments from a decade ago? Think that was all cleared up and clarified back then, after the comments were misinterpreted, with him talking about players coming from some African leagues being good physically and technically, but hadn't been trained tactically to the level needed in the top leagues (same could perhaps be said of a lot of our own academies). The way he phrased it initially was dumb, but the explanation after seems plausible enough, and it doesn't seem to have hung around him too much over the last 10 years.

Luckily we don't have any African players;)

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭jonnreeks

The FAI's problem is that nobody wants the job!

There are so many other options out there for potential candidates to go for they are waiting for something more promising.

It's looking like John O'Shea is available again as a temporary manager to see the team and any friendly fixtures through for 2024. The FAI know he will jump at the option, so they will plough along hoping someone else takes a gamble on the Ireland position before giving it to O'Shea.

😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,052 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The chief operating officer of the FAI, who has been in that role for the last 2 years, has been appointed interim CEO.

Great stuff from the FAI, an independent and fresh voice/face....oh wait!

That's fine, and quite normal as an interim. Kinda by default an interim in that position HAS to be someone who's already in the organisation, so the day to day can keep going without interruption, while you search for the permanent replacement. Bringing in an outsider as interim would be insane.

• Advertisement

An in-house interim football manager is usually the way to go alright, but an outsider in that context isn’t even the end of the world really I think, in contrast to something like a CEO position.

In a corporate setting, bringing in an interim CEO from outside defeats the purpose entirely as it would take months for an outsider to get even remotely up to speed on all the processes, relationships, facilities, accounting mechanisms etc etc. An in-house interim appointment makes total sense while they recruit the permanent replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I thought they’d eventually just give it to O’Shea given they had nobody else and he is reasonably popular. If only just to end the circus.

But at a certain point, Canham had to choose between just appointing O’Shea or making a public apology for the drawn out process and the nonsense he spouted - and he opted for the apology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

As did Steve Bruce.

The issue here is the current FAI want a Senior Manager willing to spend a few days a month working as a youth development officer. And the OTB media consensus seems to have brainwashed loads of people into thinking this is a fair and normal requirement for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,722 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Well they're at best third fiddle now. Irfu make them look even dumber and more wasteful and have capitalised on the professionalisation of the sport to make it a rather successful endeavour here.

• Advertisement

If the FAI's insistence on these alleged conditions is impeding an appointment then they should consider ditching them.

But Jesus Christ, do you have a source for that waffle in the latter part of your post?

Unless this is old news that he's reporting but has been spoken to twice by the FAI and has now left his job in Qatar. Would be an underwhelming appointment if it comes about.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭jonnreeks

Only problem there, certain board members did'nt want Lennon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭McFly85

The idea that the senior coach should have a say in youth matters to any great extent is a strange choice.

I think it’s fair to want to ensure that the lines between the underage teams and the senior team to remain open, and for the new manager to monitor the youth players for any potential call up, instead of going back to the situation we’ve had where there was practically no transition between youth and senior and players were being picked purely based on minutes being played - or like Trap where he essentially had his favourites and that was it.

But to expect a national manager to be a sort of DoF for the association at the same time, especially when it’s not a hugely desirable job or comparatively well paid. If that’s a requirement it should be ditched immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

We already have a DOF so doubt the FAI are wanting their new manager to be a coach/DOF.

Would be great to know exactly what conditions the FAI are placing on the job. More teams are now placing extra criteria on managers. Andersson turned down Latvia because of it.

Big teams are doing it because the FAI are more or less just copying what the FA are doing. Believe Neville said something about Hodgson not being open to it when Ashworth started making changes but Southgate was all for it when he got the job.

Think we've brought so many younger players through in the last couple of years that even a manager who'd solely concentrate on just the seniors isn't the worst thing. Offer a two year contract that would automatically be renewed if certain goals are met.

If it's not automatically renewed then it gives the FAI scope to introduce some extra criteria in two years when things improve a little. I was happyish when Mick got the job in 2018. Think after MON we needed someone to steady the ship somewhat after all the off the field stuff.

Finishing second in the upcoming NL should be enough to guarantee us as second seeds in qualification. Truly believe a Kenny less Ireland could take 8pts from the games against Greece and Finland in the NL.

A bit of short term thinking could easily improve things long term for us. If the short term thinking doesn't work out the way I'm thinking then things should improve still as 2023 was our worst year ever.

I wouldn't say it's a strange choice to want your senior manager to have input into youth matters. Basically the goal is developing players for the senior team. If say the next manager wants his FBs to bring pace and athleticism then senior manager should be allowed have talks with the underage coaches about what FBs meet the criteria for his needs and maybe fast track certain players in the youth teams or certain players should be prioritised.

Example: new manager could go to Crawford and say if Adaramola is fit to play then he should be prioritised at LB over Roughan because Adaramola fits my system for the seniors better than Roughan who plays CB at club level.

Another example is Bosun Lawal. Senior manager should be allowed go to Crawford and say Bosun Lawal should play in midfield and not CB for the U21s because he feels that Lawal would offer more to us at senior level playing CM than CB. Now do think this can also be done by the senior manager having a go-between him and youth coaches.

Canham is DOF so surely it can be his job to report stuff to the senior manager and get some feedback from senior manager to pass back onto the youth coaches. Or John Morling if he's open to coming back if they move Canham on or even if they don't.

Some said a player development role would be good for Kenny but can the FAI afford a DOF and a youth development coach or technical director that oversees all the youth teams and liaisons with the senior manager . If they can then that would be a great gig for Morling and actually surprised Canham got the DOF job ahead of Morling. Always wonder if that was Hills call to have more allies working with him at the FAI. New interim manager that is COO is another ex FA guy.

Maybe this is why the FAI are wanting the new manager to have a base in Ireland so these talks can happen with all coaches in the room at once. Now if they want the new manager based in Dublin fulltime then that's stupid but if they want the senior manager to be in Dublin for a few days once a month that's acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Nothing like what the FAI are looking for. They wanted a "head coach" which essentially means they wanted a senior men's international manager and a head coach over the youth teams. They wanted the new manager to have a hands on role coaching of the underage youth international teams and have an input in the LOI youth set up as well.

It's a role in itself, and could be called "head of youth development" or something along those lines and has a limited amount to do with the senior men's job. Lumping it in with the senior men's job was a cost saving measure. They seem to have thrown the whole head coach thing out the window, purely by the fact they spoke with Poyet who wouldn't meet any of those requirements.

Post edited by topmanamillion on

”We have a young team with a lot of potential so we want someone on the pitch with them, helping them to get better and help improve our results ultimately" - Hill in February

You post reads like you interpret that as saying he should be out on the pitch with the kids teams, when i'm pretty positive that comment actually refers to be being out on the pitch as a hands-on coach for the senior team - as opposed to the types of managers who leave their staff take training. They've made that point very clear a number of times, repeatedly specifying that distinction between 'manager' and 'coach'.

<edit> I see you've now just deleted that quote from your post. I don't think they want someone anywhere near as involved in active youth coaching as you suggest. I think they want this person to have a say in the structure - the type of system they play etc - but not an ongoing active involvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

FAI desperately hoping we gets something out of the games in June so they can appoint Sheasy with international experience full time. Mightn't even need results at this point for him to be announced as permanent manager two weeks before the September England game... Would have loved it John had told them to shove it for June. Our Mark coming out in his update video last week indicating that they hadn't even spoken to John about taking on the June fixtures was outstanding really. The local corner shop probably has a roster done out 3 months in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

It's O'Shea or Lennon - take your pick.

Wouldn't suprise me if Kerr flounced.

Hope England's U21s were busy and that the FAI haven't asked to play the U20s instead to avoid playing against a Lee Carsley team.

If JOS was gonna get the job full-time he would have gotten it by now imo. Hungary and Portugal will be going through the motions in Junes games because they've got more important things to worry about. Could win both games 1-0 and shouldn't really change a thing.

Only thing more meaningless than March friendlies before a tournament is friendlies in June. We play Portugal a week before their opening game. They'll give less **** than Belgium did in March as their main worry will be pre-tournament injuries. Once again begs the question why the FAI left Stephen Kenny see out the last qualifiers and not appoint an interim mid qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Whatever long term plans the FAI have drawn up for deciding their next manager they should shelve them for the time being. Have a short term plan for NL and WC Qualifiers. Decide which candidate they feel stands the best chance of improving our seeding and getting a possible top two finish in qualification.

It's clearly obvious that Lee Carsley was their number one target. Would believe it's safe to say that Anthony Barry was their second choice. If you're now down to trying to convince your third or fourth choice you need to start over from scratch. Draw up a simple plan on what's needed to improve us short term. Get the candidate you feel could achieve that.

Maybe they were thinking like that which could be why Sagnol then came into the frame. If they think Sagnol is the guy then they need to get something sorted pre Euros. Can't wait to see whether he has a poor tournament or not to judge the level of interest around Sagnol.

I'd say at this stage Stephen Bradley was spot on when he said first thing he looks at with any job is who are the people that I will be working for. That people are put off by working for the FAI rather than the work needed to make us better for the pay that's on offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Mark OMahony starts for Brighton

Travers also starts for Bournemouth.

Back to back starts and back to back clean sheets for Travers. If Bournemouth bring in a new number 1 to replace Neto then Southampton could do well to get Travers on loan for next season. Mark O'Mahoney was replaced at half time as Brighton's poor 2024 continues losing 3-0 to Bournemouth.

Alex Murphy got a few minutes off the bench vs Sheffield United. Gave away a penalty late on but VAR overruled it saying it was a good challenge. Interesting to see what Newcastle do with him next season as not 100% sure how the UEFA rules around club trained/homegrown players work.

O'Shea and Cullen were impressive as Burnley drew with United. Burnley hitting a bit of form lately and have given themselves a slim chance of staying up.

Finn Azaz becomes the first Irish player since Alan Judge (15/16) and fifth Irish player to hit double digits in goal and assists in the Championship as scored once and got two assists at the weekend. Alex Gilbert got his first start for Boro and got himself a goal and an assist too.

Might be League 2 but Calum Kavanagh's move to Bradford has been success so far. 5 goals and 2 assists while he usually plays as a number 10 in a 3-4-2-1 system. His previous stints at League 2 level were meh so great to see his move to Bradford start so well. Currently joint third in the top scorer table for them and only joined on Feb 1st.

Things not going well for Ebosele in Italy as he's played 8 minutes in the last 5 games as Udinese now find themselves in the bottom three with four games left. They play Empoli and Frosinone who are both a point ahead of them in their final two games.

Complete opposite for Jake O'Brien whose cemented his place as first choice for Lyon. Up to 8th in the table after the 3-2 win over Monaco and still have the French cup final to come against PSG. Though PSG recently beat them 4-1 in the league.

Don't know if it was mentioned here but Fabio Cannavaro is now head coach at Udinese. Ebosele hasn't played a minute in the two games under the new boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭deisedude

Probably because Ebosele can't defend from the limited bits I've seen of him in an Ireland shirt

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement