Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ok. Christ. Hugely annoying game. A few small positives - Gravenberch showed there's a real player there, really used his strength, dribbling, and some properly brave passes that we've been so shy of recently. In general, some of our passing was more direct and incisive.

Gakpo worked well at 9, holding the ball up and keeping moves going - if Nunez stays, I'd much rather him wide with Gakpo being the fulcrum in 9. Quansah with a good game too.

Saw Elliott getting some stick, but ultimately he was far more involved in the game from that position than Mo has been. He doesn't have the pace to threaten, but he at least wasn't the cause of things breaking down as much as Mo has - Elliott definitely better deeper in midfield though. No pace, but has the quick acceleration and agility over short bursts to get out of trouble and find a man.

Now - Taylor. What the absolute fck. That's one that should have consequences. There is absolutely no grounds for him doing what he did. He doesn't blow his whistle to stop play when Areola goes down (who isn't fouled anyway), and the 'advantage' line is completely implausible. Aside from there being no advantage, so much time elapses - with the entire area clearing out - that we've moved well past the time when you can call it back. It was a goalkeeping fück up that Taylor personally decided to stop from being punished. I don't have any fault with Gakpo not finishing though - once the ref blows his whistle then it doesn't matter if everything is cleared up after, the goal won't stand. We already know that from things like incorrect offside calls that VAR can't correct because the ref has blown - if the ref blows, the play is dead, and there's no going back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Taylor also clearly isn't signalling that he's calling back the advantage, he realises he has no justification for his whistle so he panics and decides to call the physio as if he's just spotted an injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭McFly85

Yep, there’s one angle showing him signalling play on, blows his whistle for no reason and then panics trying to give himself justification.

******* infuriating. And there won’t be any consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think something definitely happened after the FA cup match with United, the way that match went and how we lost was a real sickener, however, it shouldn't have lingered over the squad, especially after the international break. I felt Klopp referencing the United cup match was a mistake, it gave that match too much importance, when it should have only been a footnote in our season, it also confirmed that, that match actually did affect the team and along with his own reason for leaving- that he's running out of energy- it gives the players an easy out , the pro-dominaint theme of Liverpool's performances recently has been lacking energy or running out of steam.

Something similar happened United when Fegie announced he was leaving in the early noughties, performance dropped slightly and they only finished third despite being the dominant team in previous seasons. It's fine when the team is winning, but, once the team hits a rough patch as we have its much harder for the manager to tun things around when th players know he's leaving at the end of the season, it's human nature, the same happens in every workplace, when everyone knows the boss is leaving, he/she suddenly becomes less relevant. Fergie obviously learnt his lesson, he waited until they had won the title before announcing his retirement next time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,553 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Goal keepers socks had a loose stitch, instant medical assistance was required

84 is the target, and 2nd place.

We need it to save face,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭klose

https://x.com/footytone/status/1784215717379764502?s=46

Didn’t think much about it during the game, but really looks an odd thing now.

1 win in 5, same as Luton😌

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Link from above

Also if it was a free kick, what is the keeper doing trying to take it 10 metres from where the foul happened? I think Taylor probably saw the keeper go down and was thinking of blowing for treatment, keeper stood up and seemed ok, made the mistake and Taylor blew the whistle when he shouldn't have. There was no foul there and the player, if he was injured, should have asked for treatment himself and not the referee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Times saying Arne will be head coach not manager, he will report to Hughes and Hughes will report to Edwards.

It was only natural Klopp would get more power, but our recruitment has not been as good since Edwards left and there was obviously a big power struggle behind the scenes with ward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Villa drawing means Liverpool need 1 more point to secure top four unless there is a 20 goal swing between Liverpool and Villa in 3 games

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

For second there i had my hopes up top 4 was boxed off for certain when Chelsea got the 3rd but abut villa got extremely lucky with it being ruled out. VAR and refs again playing their part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jesus, don't worry about top 4 you hypochondriacs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭klose

TBF in the form we are in we’d be doing well to beat wolves, I expect us to lose to Villa and Spurs as they have something to play for, 4th, and we are in the doldrums.

We’ll be fine, just about.

I think the stress of knowing Klopp is leaving has got to the players, and Klopp himself, he knows his time is up, and maybe he has regrets he'll never admit to, and fact he's getting replaced while he is still in the job probably feels a little weird, reality hitting fast for everyone, wish they had left it till summer, all this Slot and Ruben talk has been a huge distraction, summer was the time to do it, not on a title run in! SO STUPID

• Advertisement

In fairness that is the only objective left for the season. You would think we are safe but we play Spurs and Villa and if we lose both and they win out then it is Europa League again next season. If Spurs loses today against Arsenal then we are good, our goal difference should be good enough to not be overtaken as they are only able to score 75 points if they lose today. If they draw, then as per above, we need one more point to be secure for 4th.

The most points needed to qualify for CL was 75. You need to look at what 5th place finished in the past and add one more point to ensure qualification, not look at what the team in 4th finished on. So you would think we are safe but until we are mathematically, then we are going to be talking about it.

On a side note and related rant, looking at how the amount of points needed to finish in the top 4 has gone up since the early 2000's, where mid 60's would be more than enough, it makes a mockery of the statement that any team can beat the others in the Premier League. I guess those following the league remember the upsets, but the top teams lose less than they did before. I am sure if you look back at the Bundesliga or Serie A and La Liga, you will find instances where teams in the bottom half take points off teams at the top. We don't follow them so we don't care, we follow the Premier League so we see when it happens and think it is unique.

Basically, the days of every team being able to take points off any other team is over. The big teams will win most of their matches against the smaller teams and it is the matches against each other where they lose points. Looking at how Everton and West Ham played the last 2 matches, you can see why. We are out on our feet and not playing anywhere near our potential and should have won the West Ham match. We got sucker punched against Everton and they were better than us on the day, but they do not keep that up for 28 matches in a season, never mind 38, so having their day once in 13 years against a tired and battered Liverpool is not the key to success long term.

I heard on the Gab and Juls podcast they were talking about Slot and how they don't know how he is going to fare against teams where they can take points off Liverpool at any match and I am thinking…that is not true. The old days of the PL being like that has been over for a long time. I wish more pundits would see that instead of just remembering the past. Just look at how many more points the top 6 score these days compared to the past and you will see that teams lose less than they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

In fairness to Klopp, the recruitment regime before him taking power was far from perfect. Too many players signed at prices that were reasonable, but reasonable because there was risks attached. We ended up with far too many injury prone players that we couldn't get rid of due to that.

It's a wait and see for me, and Edwards is far from being infallible.

Arsenal really are playing great, thought for sure they'd slip up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭Talisman

That organisation is to be expected. Klopp was given a greater influence over transfers and it disrupted the development of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Well we needn't worry too much about Spurs overtaking us anyway. Now that we're out of the running, I couldn't care less what Arsenal do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Arsenal have lost more games than us. Just like with Rafa in 08/09 it's the draws that kill us.

1-1 vs Luton FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

They may have lost 1 more game, but Arsenal have been a lot better and more consistent than us on over the course of the season. For all the talk of a lack of a striker, they're clinical and have put up some massive scores on sides.

And the big thing, they look way more compact and are a lot more solid at the back than us. Even when we were going really well during December and January, you still had a feeling we could concede at any moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭jones

It really shows we're 3rd best in the league behind city and arsenal (which I suspect we all would have taken at the start of the season). But the opportunity was really there to win it.

For completely irrational reasons I want city to win it now, even though arsenal are more deserving IMO. This is purely because I feel like city winning it again means nothing whereas arsenal are much more comparable to our own situation.

After their winter break, Arsenal have been by far the best team in the league and have been very clinical, before that winter break they were very wasteful, similar to ourselves in that regard, they really should have buried us in the FA cup match, but, we hung on and won, in a way, we would have been better off to have lost that match, as we'd have had less matches to play and avoid that cup match at OT which seems to have completely derailed our season.

As bad and all as we have been recently, if we had someone who could actually score, we'd still probably be in the title race!

Arsenal hang on, lucky there, throwing away a 3-0 lead, dam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Dam? That result virtually guarantees us Champions league next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Exactly, with our form and games against 4th and 5th to come where it’s hard to know what Liverpool turns up, I’ll take that result . its good at least to have CL boxed off and the season not continue to implode altogether.

I cannot bring myself to hate Arsenal as much as I hate City though. Maybe because they were one of the only teams standing up to United in my younger years. I remember respecting the invincibles and them not giving up when they were behind and I did like seeing United lose rather than win.

Add in when we were getting better Arsenal weren't really the team stopping us from winning the title so I would rather them winning it than us, especially if they have done it by not being City or Newcastle as well. They will have their own financial pressure to deal with, same as us, and I respect that they are doing what we are doing. I hate this City iteration almost as much as I hate United and would be happy for them to crumble into nothingness. They are just fake and born out of money and I would love nothing more than see their project fail against teams that should not be close to them.

In other news, Andoni Iraola has done some job on Bournemouth. 3 draw only from the first nine matches and they are up to 10th now with 48 points. Their 45 points gathered in that time is only 10 behind us and City (City played 2 matches less) and 14 behind Arsenal. They are ahead of everyone else, other than Villa as well, in 5th place since Matchday 10. That is some going and hats off to them.

• Advertisement

I don't understand why anyone would want to see City win it? You just stated that Arsenal winning it is a more comparable situation to ours. That's exactly why we would want Arsenal to win, because if they're in a comparable situation to us, then it's something that we can emulated surely?

Ya but regardless of your form in front of goal, admittedly ours has been terrible. On the run in you always have a few games where you just need to grind out the result, stay compact and see out a game. We have not looked comfortable in a long time trying to see out games, always a few soft chances coughed up on our behalf.

Agreed, but its not for us to emulate them, they are emulating what we have done the last 6 years or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

The Bournemouth thing is interesting considering we're taking their DoF next year. He has done a good job there it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah to be fair to us, we've broken them once and took them to the last day twice.

If Arsenal keep City going until the last day then I'll be very impressed. They'll get called this, that and the other but we'd appreciate how hard it is

The '' dam'' was a reaction to Arsenal almost imploding ⚽️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Hopefully his most recent managerial appointment is as astute 🤞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Stems from all other fans even Arsenal ones saying City are saying football by beating Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Yeah I'm in the city saving football camp this year for reasons above

• Advertisement

Month of April 172 shots 11 goals Robertson, OG, Trent, Gravenberch, Jota, Salah (pen), Diaz, Salah (pen), Nunez, MacAllister, Gakpo.

12 goals conceded

8 games in all Competitons, 6 league games, 2 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses. 2 Euro games, 1 loss, 1 win.

Possession 562% of 800

It all points to trouble at the back, and the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭jones

Yes it's probably jealousy but City winning AGAIN is meaningless. But Arsenal winning it seems like a more direct threat to Liverpool because we are in similar financial positions (although Arsenal seem more likely to spend big than we do).

I want city to win precisely for the reasons above that it's basically all fake with them and if nothing else it highlights how crazy the situation is and with state backed clubs in general.

Arsenal winning would be a real success and I'm sure they'll build on it again next season (again unlike what we did after winning the league).

So there's my reasons, as petty as they are 😜

Arsenal's nett spend under Arteta is over 500m, only Chelsea and United have a bigger nett spend in that time (both of those clubs are baskets cases in the transfer market). In fact Arteta's nett speed is around twice Klopp's nett spend despite Klopp being in the job twice as long, so what Arsenal are doing is not really comparable to us, while they are not funded by nation states they are spending big and probably will continue to spend big. So Arsenal aren't the plucky underdog they are being portrayed as, they are where they should be for the money they have spent, to be fair they have spend that money well for the most part.

It will be difficult for Liverpool to compete with City and now Arsenal in the future, plus if Chelsea and United get their houses in order - they have the resources along with Newcastle to make it difficult for us to even qualify for the CL in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Exactly.

Nobody is talking about how Arsenal can take a 72 million pound hit on Pepe and still be ok.

Or 56 million pound on Aubameyang and still be ok.

As you say, Arsenal are not the poor men they are being portrayed to be.

If we weren't lucky to get that financial hit in selling Coutinho and then spending it wisely on VVD and Allison I don't think Klopp would have had the run that he had.

You have to spend a lot to catch up to City if you want to compete with them. They have spent a lot but the club has also made losses of £45m and then £52m in the last 2 years. That is before they spent 235m euro and got 70m euro back for sales last year, they will be in that position we have been the last few years where we were prudent with incomings. Add in if they do win the league the salaries will surely go up, or at least when it comes to new negotiations the base will be higher than what they have now, I don't think we have to worry about them financially or think they are in the league of City or United.

As per Deloitte they were 10th in the latest rankings with 532m euro in revenue. We were 7th with 682m euro in revenue. You suspect that will move around as we were in the Europa this year and they were in the Champions League, so they are not out of our league when it comes to revenue either.

If one team has the resources that we need to be concerned about, other than City and United, it is Tottenham who was 8th in the rankings and only 50m euro behind us with no real success. It is no wonder though as they are squeezing their fans for every cent they can to make up for the lack of success and even European football.

Even before Arteta Arsenal were considerably outspending us, since Klopp took over, Arsenal's nett spend is almost 900M ( about 550M of that under Arteta) to our 250M approx. Nett spend in the same time, just that pre Arteta they weren't spending it wisely, but, seem to have improved in that area, they will continue to outspend us, remember we were way behind too when Klopp took over, yet, we are the lowest spenders of the top 6 teams, so that will eventually tell at some stage and now that Klopp is going it will likely become more apparent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭decies

Am fine with the cheaters winning the league over arsenal it just keeps the farce going and most won’t even care , let them do the double . To think only few weeks ago they were 3rd but they were always going to be stronger in the run in . Expect them to win out now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Citys game in hand is spurs away. It's over no chance Spurs try a leg in that game.

Where do you get the net spend figures from? From Transfermarkt I have them around 800m euro net spend but the difference is not that big so not disputing your figures. Net spend can be deceptive though, but I am not disputing that they have been spending money.

What you need to take note of is wages and where teams then finish in the league and we have been outspending them on this metric. We overtook them in spending on wages in 2016 and that is about the time we overtook them on the field as well. Since then our wages have skyrocketed to £374m while they are not much more than what they paid in 2016 really. Their wage bill in 2016 was £195m and ours that year was £208m. Since then ours has ballooned to £374m in 2023 and they are at £235m.

While we make more money we spend all of that extra revenue on wages and their wage spend is quite low. But success will mean more wages though, that is why I am expecting their spending to slow down as wages go up for the players they have on their books when new contracts are given and they will not be able to spend as much the next few years while they need to claw back some of the losses they have made the past few years. These are just my rough, back of paper calculations and thoughts though.🙂

Salah would be mad to throw away 4 more seasons at the top level to go to Saudi, if he did leave it will be to City, Real, PSG.

PSG need to replace Mbappe, so that's most likely.

Hopefully he stays though, he owes Liverpool nothing money wise, you don't win all we've won without him, he has generated far more than his cost in wages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭Damien360

Just to echo the post above. Transfer market paints a different picture of spending also. I dislike the net spend thing as it's not the same story at all. They spent quite wisely. Rice in particular was a great purchase.

Match day revenue for Arsenal is over 25% larger also. I know it's smaller money now but we aim to balance the books and it all plays a part.

• Advertisement
Advertisement