Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

diagnosing a tripping breaker

• 28-04-2024 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭

Came home last night to all the outlets off at home. There is a 63 amp breaker with test switch, that was tripped and would not reset.

I eventually narrowed it down to 1 room's outlets, that is, all the outlets are on a different breaker, I'll call it breaker 2. Once I turned breaker 2 off, I could reset the 63 amp breaker no prob.

I removed everything plugged into outlets on breaker 2, but it would not reset, as soon as I reset it, the main breaker would trip. I turned off all the switches that control outlets, but breaker 2 would not reset. So, nothing is plugged in, and the breaker won't reset as doing so causes the main breaker to trip.

Is this due to breaker 2 being defective? What can cause this - something happening at night? Weather was clear last night, I don't think we had a power surge or anything weird like that.

TIA. Yes, I'm calling electricians but they're hard to get ahold of and any investigation I can do makes everything easier.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If it's a 63A device with a test button, then it's an RCD. That measures a thing called leakage to earth. For an RCD to fault you'll often find that either the insulation is damaged on a wire, or the wire/device/socket is wet, a device with an earth has physical damage or an appliance has a water leak - those are the usual causes. So look for water ingress and also look to see if you have an external socket which is wired off that faulting circuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Since there are no devices on the faulting circuit, and no external devices at all let aline on that circuit, could the problem be with the breaker itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Tow

No. Not unless a it is shorting to the din rail or is wet.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You could check the outlets to make sure all cabling is firmly fixed in each socket and not damaged in the wallbox.

The weird thing is, nothing changed that night. No rain, no change to any of the appliances, yet, the breaker tripped and now won't reset. I'll look at the wallboxes next. Is there no probe or tester for the wall outlets I can use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

turn off your immersion

It's on a completely different circuit. And its normally not 'on,' it's on a timer for a couple hours/day. It's been running fine since the breaker problem started. In the hot press, far from the room (sitting room) controlled by the breaker in question. Why do you think it might have a role in the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It could be a cumulative leakage effect. Try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

and RCD Tripping is usually moisture related and Temporary.

things to check

Outdoor lights or sockets.
    kettle base
    washer Dryer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

turn it off anyway. It should be protected by the rcd that’s giving you the issues.
    the problem is most likely a neutral to earth fault. All the neutrals are connected to one point in your distribution board. Unplug all your accessible appliances too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement