Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

an insult to the fans.

Any Leinster fan with more than 6 brain cells could have told you a year ago that they'd be sending a 3rd string team down to SA. They went down to SA knowing exactly what they were getting.

Leinster threw their URC semi final

I'm very surprised to hear a Munster supporter like yourself basically admit that Munster only managed a trophy last year because Leinster "threw the game". Most Munster fans try to big up the side Leinster put out that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Next weekend will the first fixture of potentially eight fixtures in consecutive weeks. It makes sense to keep the senior players fresh for the semi final of the champions cup then to start rotating after.

Leinster are giving themselves the best chance to compete for a double. Come the URC knockouts we'll be selecting strong squads for every fixture. It's better to err on the side of caution and make sure they're in the best shape possible for them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They absolutely, categorically, did not "have to" rest and rotate for the final. They chose to. I will never agree with it.

The SA tour is different, but a stronger team should have been sent down for the Lions match before some returned home. I would have far more issues with how poorly coached the team looked in the Lions match to be honest. Leinster did not care a whit about these games and it showed at every level.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,234 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The money is still a big factor. Is Nolan Park or Scotstoun preferable? Nolan Park is obviously better. Any disadvantage leinster has (like never playing there before) applies equally to other teams, but the travel is shorter for leinster and more money comes back to Leinster after the stadium gets a cut.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm ambivalent enough between Nowlan Park and somewhere in Munster or Glasgow for example. But it caused us to travel to SA that is a huge deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Based on the mentality of away depleted sides, whats the point to the pool games? Win your home games with a loaded team but sacrifice the away games? Might as well only attend the playoffs if that is the case. It's a poor model for genuine rugby fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

they sacrificed two games

There’s no “genuine rugby fan” on the planet who expects their team to be full strength for every match. None.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

The only trophy that matters to Leinster is the European Cup.

Q: How many Celtic League/Pro 12/Pro 14/URC have Leinster won?

A: Who really cares? It’s just another the fizzy cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

You'll find that most, if not all fans care about the URC.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I want the URC this season!!

It's the perfect set up as the CC will be well finished before the URC play offs.

No reason at all not to go 100% for it

• Advertisement

you mean “the genuine rugby fan”? pfffft!!

I want Leinster win it. But that doesn’t compare to how much I want Leinster to win the European Cup again.

URC is training day for the only trophy that matters.

You want Leinster to win it? Two posts ago you didn't care.

Each to their own, but you'll find most fans care about winning both the URC and the Champions Cup. Of course the Champions Cup is a priority but the URC matters a lot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

38 missed tackles! Awful! 83 made. Really poor outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think Leinster can win both. Ideally we'd finish top of the URC to guarantee home matches all the way through.

But I don't think we'll be fazed if we're required to travel for an away knock out tie. We've gone to Thomond and won; we beat Leicester away and must crucially went to the Stade Marcel Deflandre and beat the European Champions on their own patch.

Leinster have a quality squad and will be relying on it over the next few weeks. It makes sense to have a rested 23 for the Champions Cup SF and not risk travel fatigue from South Africa. Would have be nice to give them one game, but the circumstances didn't allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

When leinster won it back to back for years it was always followed with a "But sure they didnt win Europe"

Same as this season if they win the URC it will be deemed a failure unless they win in Europe, had been like that since 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭StormForce13

If we're going to send the kids down to SA every season then surely it would be wiser, cheaper and better for the planet to simply give 5 point walkovers to the host teams and stay at home? I don't particularly enjoy watching our youngsters being beaten up in one-sided non games.

Plus, if yesterday was his last Leinster appearance. it was a really lousy way for Rhys Rudock to end his illustrious career.

That’s right. I don’t really care. I still want them to win the urc.

Just like nobody should really care about those games in SA. I still want them to win them.

“you'll find most fans care” Each to their own indeed.

1 European Cup in 12 years. I really care that will be 2 European Cups in 12 years.

Sure and similarly there are people who thought Irelands win in the 6N wasn't anything to celebrate because it wasn't a Grand Slam. There are fans of many teams in many sports who view anything other than winning everything as a failure. Personally, that's a fairly lousy way to feel but each to their own as I said.

It doesn't mean that the majority of fans don't want to win the URC. They do. They of course know the European Cup in the holy grail but that doesn't mean the URC is worthless. Nearly every Leinster fan I know wants them to win the URC.

Post edited by Exclamation Marc on

Oh I want to win it, I thought at the start of season because of all the upheaval they might have to write this season off and just concentrate on the URC but it hasn't turned out that way

Personally I think they need to win the URC this season, even with that I think the decision to send the squad they did to SA was the right one

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Advertisement

It was 2 games in the season, the over the top reaction is getting a bit ridiculous now…..

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Semi final week in my head now. Parking that pretty shocking trip to South Africa.

Some slight potential selection head aches. Does Ringrose come straight back in? I presume everyone is in agreement that Keenan should. I’m not too sure who will be selected at second row with McCarthy.

Connors back out of the 23 presuming they go 5-3 split I would guess. Does Frawley cover 10 from the bench or back 3?

JOB surely back now but hasn’t played in a long time so H Byrne & Frawley the obvious bench cover.

Ngatai was decent the past two weeks and offers additional bulk but only really covers the centre.

Mcgrath was pretty abysmal is SA and for most of the season to be honest but there isn’t anyone else trusted. JGP goes down early and there could be issues.

If it's a 5-3 split, I could see a bench of McGrath, Frawley and Ringrose (or JOB if Ringrose is out). I think Osborne has earned the jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Kinda wish they would back one of the young lads over McGrath. Pity Gunne wasn't accelerated this season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I saw someone suggesting somewhere that Ringrose could replace McGrath on the bench if it's a 6-2 split. Not the worst idea. Didn't he fill in at scrumhalf for Ireland and look quite good when Murray got yellow-carded one time? I seem to remember Murray wasn't in great form at the time and Ringrose actually looked better.

My guess would be it won't be a 6-2 split this time, though. Northampton are a lot different to La Rochelle, which I'd imagine will see them revert to starting JvdF ahead of Connors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If we win Europe, no one will give a shyte about the URC. Did anyone really care that we lost the Magners final in 2011?

However, if we do not win Europe, suddenly the URC will come into very sharp focus as an acid test of whether we're chokers, and throwing these matches will come under intense scrutiny again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Does anyone else read these imagining Trump as the poster?

I did because I drove the whole way to Limerick to watch it live after coming back from Cardiff the week before

Having 4 pi**ed mates on the way back up signing wasn't much fun either :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Might be true for some but I don't think that stands up for everyone. I want to win the URC whether we win the CC or not.

• Advertisement

Didn't Larmour play scrum half recently and played well during a yellow card period or maybe I am losing it

Advertisement