Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A badly parked car in a private car park.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭amandstu

"And reverse into parking spaces as well please as most cars are designed to do"

Not the car that was badly parked. And ,when I think of it none of the cars where I was parked were reversed in either (or ever are)

Don't know if that is because it is "uphill" a bit but everyone drives straight in.

Are you being sarcastic with your "most cars are designed to do "?

It doesn't make sense to me otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭amandstu

"Would you stop digging. Jesus christ that is woeful. The car being badly parked is irrelevant. Cars are supposed to pass behind you in the aisle, and should be expected to be here stationary, at any time"

No they should not.You should not park where you are blocking cars that are parked .

"That is awful driving. You are assuming there is no obstacle and that the way is clear. If there is an obstruction, you are hoping that you can react before is comes an issue. This is dumb."

Wish that made sense.Do you mind if I leave the writers' group now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

There is no "maybe turn around". Turn tf around and check. Every time.

I ask this of you as someone who has lived through the experience of identifying the body of a four year old child crushed to death by a driver who reversed their vehicle without due care and attention.

I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

I feel some driving lessons may be if use to you

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Baseball72

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

didn't notice the car because I fidn't expect it to be there

In all the to and fro above, it seems like no-one else has found this phrase to be more disturbing than the exact timing of when the OP checks his/her mirrors. Noticing the unexpected is a fundamental requirement for safe driving, whether forwards or in reverse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just because no one else was, doesn't mean you shouldn't be. Generally (although there are exceptions with slanted spaces), you should reverse into a parking spot. This is the same for your drive way if you can't do a U turn in it. It is not safe to reverse into what is effectively a roadway, in fact it is illegal to do so from your driveway. This is all off point though. You should always be observing, if your foot is even coming to the bite before you are looking, then you are doing it wrong. Also asking was a stationary obstacle in the wrong if you collided. Yes, they maybe a d1ck, but the two facts are mutually exclusive. Them being a d1ck does not alleviate your observational issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭JVince

When I was learning to drive (long long long time ago), the instructor told me to be aware of my surroundings BEFORE getting into the car.

He'd test me every time we had a lesson, such as asking the colour of the car behind or approx distance between the cars.

It was a great lesson that served me well over the years and something the OP could take on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No they should not.You should not park where you are blocking cars that are parked .

Where did I say that cars are supposed to block you in?

Cars are supposed to pass behind you in the aisle…

When you are in a parking space. Cars will drive along the aisle, passing your car. Those cars in the aisle, have priority over cars leaving parking spaces. This should not have to be explained tbh.

Wish that made sense. Do you mind if I leave the writers' group now?

Checking if its clear only when you start to take off is terrible driving, if that doesn't make sense to you, then you probably shouldn't have a license.

I did notice that, but didn't give any credibility to a "maybe I looked" hypothetical. It would be much worse if it were true.

A "psychological thing", quite sure. 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

on the topic in the thread title, i once got back to the car in a car park and someone had parked beside me with easily less than a foot between the cars. i couldn't get in the driver's side; the funny thing was, there was someone in the passenger seat in the other car who resolutely stared away as i was pondering the situation and trying to get their attention. i ended up having to get in the passenger side and clamber over the handbrake, etc., which was not madly easy.

it was only as i was driving away i started to wonder how the driver in the other car had gotten out themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Clearly the real problem is that you should have reversed into your parking place on arrival. Then you would have had no difficulty at all seeing the other car and getting past it on exit.

I'm always amazed at ****** reversing out of parking bays and they haven't a fecking clue what's behind them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in shopping centres, it is often sensible to go nose in to a spot - because when you get back to the car with your shopping, it allows easy access to the boot, especially if your shopping is in a trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Reverse in, drive out.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭8mv

Excellent advice from BobbyD here - I don't understand why so many people drive into a parking space and then reverse out. Much earier, and safer, to reverse in and drive out.

*Edit: I see Andrew and Furze agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭GTTDI GOD

So many questions here, and I’m really hopeful this is a troll post. How did you pass a driving test with a lazy attitude towards observation like that? Did your driving instructor not tell you how important observation is?

All that aside, how would you even think, that if you hit a stationary car, that it’s their fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

And how would this help in this situation, the car would still be blocked im.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

When you go to reverse in, you have a good view of what's happening around the parking space before you start reversing. When you drive out, you have a clear and direct view of what is in front of your car. It's much better for visibility. All advanced driver training covers 'reverse in, drive out'.

There are exceptions, for the awful slanted parking spaces, or for when you need full access to the boot. But in general, it's a far safer way of parking.

As mentioned, for a supermarket car park where many people will be returning to their car with heavy shopping, possibly in a trolley. If you reverse in, you may be unable to load the boot without actually pulling your car out of the spot to gain access.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The issue wasn't that the car was blocked in. OP got the car out and drove away. He issue was that he reversed without first checking.

Reversing in makes that less likely that somebody doesn't check out of laziness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

First of all, fascinated that there's even a debate here.

If you will indulge me, I would like to rewrite the OP but leaving out the irrelevant details.

"If I am driving a car and I don't look where I'm going and I hit an inanimate object, is the inanimate object responsible?"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

^^^ it depends on whether or not it was wearing hi-viz!

Advertisement