Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Latitude has gone downhill over the past decade but I just took a quick look and there are plenty of acts there that’d keep us happy over the weekend. Orbital, Beak>, The Zombies, Khruangbin, Fat Dog, English Teacher, Lankum, Kevin Drew, Future Islands, CMAT, Pillow Queens, Duran Duran, Alison Goldfrapp and loads more. Possibly some of them to be added but it’s astonishing pushed that there’s zilch crossover with another FR festival. One that was set up to copy EP after Benn visited EP 2005.

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

USing albums sold for a pop star seems pretty disingenuous, no? 80mill is the figure for records total BMG provides.

And comparing a cancelled headliner to their replacement is also disingenuous. Bowie was replaced by the Darkness at Oxegen. Would you go see the Darkness now? Think they last played Cyprus Avenue in Cork. Must mean Bowie would be playing those places too if he were still living, right?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The darkness would be a step up from most of those on the EP line up.

They are great fun as a live band

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

That first Darkness album was fantastic, many wrote them off as a novelty act but they can really play and write a great song. They would have been a fantastic edition to EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Think all this unpleasantness has gone to people's heads. The lionisation of The Killers prime example. Dreadful stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I’m not a killers fan but I saw them at EP and thought they did a great show and have a lot of big songs… though I was full of pills at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭dav09

Latitude similar to EP but completely different at the same time, difficult to describe, EP is still miles better. I think Longitude started as a sister festival to Latitude before becoming sister festival to Wireless for a few years and now whatever it is. I would also probably trade the Latitude lineup with ours. Also find it strange Kasabian is tier 2 for us but a main headliner for Latitude.

Post edited by dav09 on

80m for the combined total of singles and albums. Albums always the measure, including for other pop stars like Madonna or MJ. Streams and ticket sales fast replacing those as the measure of popularity but historical measures of comparison will remain in album sales (Beatles, Zep, etc).

A disingenuous comparison. Bowie had to be replaced at Oxegen with 11 days notice with nobody not on the lineup able to step in. Kylie pulled out of the world’s biggest festival with 5 weeks notice and dozens of acts clamouring to replace her. Not comparable.

No lionisation, just an awareness of their cost and pulling power. Another poster said that Noah Kahan & Kylie were equal bookings to Billie Eilish & The Killers. You don’t have to like them to realise that’s nonsense. And of the above only Billie appeals.

• Advertisement

I think a fair few people would view Kylie as a more significant booking that the Killers mate. Theyre totally different genres so its not like for like swap. The Killers have sold more than QOTSA but I reckon most people again would side with me that Queens a more significant booking for the festival.

Agree fully on the Billie V Noah comp however.

We can't arbitrarily use streams to justify festival line ups. Its not going to work. We will look back in 20 years and ask what in the name of all thats good happened to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Half of those have either Irish festivals, headline shows announced or work with other promoters in ireland.
    orbital, beak> Khruangbin, Lankum, future islands, cmat and pillow queens have shows or festivals here in the next few months.

Where are Beak playing

Latitude a smaller fest (45k) so the Kasabian slot not so surprising. Nice site but agreed that EP is far superior, as it is in most respects bar the lineup thus far.

I only went once, their second year, when it was a relatively decent crowd, 30k capacity and a stunning lineup (see below).It was very family friendly which was great but since then it’s become VERY VERY middle-class with BBC4 broadcasting from there and Pimms stalks/double-decker buses doing very well across the site. It’s very safe, which is preferable to latter-day Oxegen but I think it lacks energy. I’d still go again as they book well, which begs the question why EP aren’t getting several of their acts. Siouxsie last year would have been a bit special in Stradbally. FR make their bookings more eclectic and varied and EP will survive. If not then it may struggle in 3/4 years, or we fall into recession and it may be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭rubick

Yes, where ARE Beak> playing?

(Have a feeling it won't be ATN after last year)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Its a bold strategy to lower the amount of pills people would be taking: Book a bunch of sensitive white guys with acoustic guitars.

Honestly feel sorry for most of the people that bought tickets already.

NewDad playing both EP & ATN so we could see Pillow Queens, CMAT also. Orbital played Galway Arts & ATN the same week, the latter unannounced so crossover not unusual. I’m fully aware they won’t be at EP but they were available as they only just stepped in last week at BTP to replace Soulwax. The main point was that FR could have booked these people.
    If no exclusivity then we could also see others but good points on other promoters and other shows.

You are forgetting that as much as FR may want a certain act playing latitude to play EP it’s ultimately the decision of the agent/artist where they play and for numerous reasons they might decide to go with other offers for ireland. Many an international band have had a terrible EP experience and take up other offers instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Apologies for the slight derail, but you can't compare Forest Fest with EP, even as a replacement for vintage gig goers like myself. ATN would be a much better option if you've given up on EP.

We went to FF last year, had a great time, saw some great acts and drank some lovely IPAs, but at times there was a small voice inside my head saying 'this is a little bit **** isn't it'. In retrospect i realise this was just by comparison with larger more established festivals. My wife loved it as there were no teens pushing their way through and the ground was pretty level.

As a few have said they do appear to curate the lineup, and i see Ballykilcavan brewery already have their Forest Fest brews bubbling away. I had said i wouldn't go again this year, but it might be hard to pass up the Wedding Present / The Cult, the Fleadh stage and more acts to be announced.

By all means give it a go, and hopefully the weather will be kinder this year, but it's not amazing or anything..

• Advertisement

It’s all subjective in terms of taste, but in terms of pulling power and cost Kylie is way behind The Killers on all measures of metrics. She’s never headlined a festival before (as far as I’m aware) and she’s unlikely to again. The Nevada crew can headline wherever they want whenever they want. And I’m no fan, just aware of their clout.

Completely clear, and understandable. But if FR throw cash at said act they may try again. Signs indicate that splashing money on acts for EP ain’t their modus operandi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭rubick

When The Cult were announced for FF I was half-tempted but I can't see it happening this year. Would be nice to experience it when it wasn't raining the whole time. Thought the camping facilities were a disaster, no segregation bewteen Security/Family/General was more than a little half-assed.

I wouldn’t have been surprised if orbital were always planned for BTP as late announcement after vicar st shows but soulwax dropping out made that announcement happen sooner.

Orbital have worked with selective memory for years upon years so they always get first dibs on Leinster shows/festivals. Sure Selective memory was the one who booked orbital when they headlined EP in 2009. Loyalty is key element of the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Beak, gentlemen, are playing Green Man, along with all the other acts you might want to hear at Stradbally.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I saw The Killers twice against my will. Glasto in 05 and the EP some time after. Both times they were brutal.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Am I wrong in thinking there isnt a single act performing at both GM and EP? Not even one?!

We're being taken for utter fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭The Davestator

After the disappointment of the announcement, I started the research.

The Teskey Brothers are excellent IMO - very Otis like. Hopefully get a nice sunny chill slot

In fairness to FR there’s never been any crossover with Green Man. Not a single act that I remember. On this thread the posters regularly brought this up, obviously no connection between promoters. A pity as we yearly miss out on great stuff.

• Advertisement

Sure but usually theres 2-3 weeks between the fests, no? For the two fests to be on same weekend and not have a single overlapping performer seems odd to me at least.

Advertisement