Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Yes, a lot. As a Liverpool fan, I came across it an awful lot.

One such incident, my mate who is an Everton fan. Said at the time, nobody wants Liverpool to win the league, that everyone hates them. I responded by saying, surely you don't want City to win all the time. You want some competition. Nah, he said. Everyone hates Liverpool blah blah blah.

Fast forward two seasons later or so and City are walking the league and Liverpool are out of the race. Same person, City running away with league are ruining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭ronjo

Ok but thats slightly different…… thats just saying he (and others) hate Liverpool.

Its the saving football bit I mean? or was it just saving us all from Liverpool fans? 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Yeah, "City saved football" was a big thing after the 2018-19 season when they pipped Liverpool by a point (98 vs 97 I think). It was basically a way for fans to keep laughing at Liverpool for going another season without winning the title, so City had saved the "bants" or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,225 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Sorry yeah you're right. I was just thinking, from a Liverpool POV that they couldn't overtake Liverpool so couldn't get top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Now come on, you can't actually be a Liverpool fan and question why an Everton fan wouldn't want pool to win the league..

United & Everton are never going to pick Liverpool over another club. In the same way Liverpool fans wouldn't pick United in a title race against Arsenal and City

I can't see how you would have expected anything else tbh, and I am very strongly anti-City (plus any other state-owned club). But as a Utd fan Liverpool is the last club I would wish well.

It wasn't just Everton or Man Utd fans though. I was a lot of 'neutral' club fans, I saw. But that's beside the point really as it was quite widespread at the time. A lot of London based clubs really parroted it, and personally I think that comes down to some deep-rooted notions that people from that area have about both Liverpool the club and city overall. It's still evident in a lot of clubs and aside from the usual suspects Liverpool, still receive the tragedy chanting, and associated chants about not being able to afford to buy food or get a job from supporters of clubs like Nottingham Forest, Leicester, Luton etc. Everton have also been on the receiving end of some of these chants in the past too, but maybe not as frequent.

If you don't want your rivals to win, fair enough, but just say it out. The notion that a state-owned, financially doped, cheating club would be "saving football" really does say a lot about you though. You're basically admitting that you want football to be plunged into a state dick-swinging contest, and take it away from honest clubs who have traditionally and currently do things the right way (maybe such as your own), just to try and get one over on other fans. Surely the non-cheating club would be the ones "saving football"? Is that 'banter'? Fairly poor one if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭jacool

These are the points tallies for the EPL. Leicester aren't on this list, but they won with 81 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,052 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It doesn't matter what they have to play for, they don't have the midfield or full backs to get anything against City. That'll be a near 70% possession for City game.

Spurs away can be a banana skin but I would expect City will win the title from here as well.

But on the football changing, it has but not in the way I think you are trying to say.

The points are a little higher and we've seen 3 teams reach that level of points or set the pace for those totals.

I think it's easier now to not drop points. There are less tricky away days and so on. Every team tries to play football more. Fewer teams are willing to park the bus, dig in, and make a big team's trip to their stadium an absolute dogfight.

Refs are far less willing to let players get the rough treatment so over the course of 90 min they are far more likely to show the quality difference.

It's for the better of the game long term but the game is definitely more geared towards supporting the higher-skilled players now. A positive but also it has shown in higher point totals.

Add in things like VAR and goal line tech and you are less likely to get "screwed". Although PL ref will still make a fine attempt at messing this up.

So the game has changed - but I don't think it's just because Man City are the greatest team ever assembled. I think the sport as a whole has changed so the better players are able to show their quality more frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Your missing my point, of course why would a Toffee or United fan want Liverpool to win anything.

What I was pointing out was how some fans became hypocrites. As soon as Liverpool were out of the picture everyone hates City and they are ruining football.

Don't get me wrong, I cheered on that Agreuo last minute goal against QPR that time. Little did I know how much City would go on to dominate.

• Advertisement

If that many fans of non-traditional rival clubs didn't want you to win against a club that is renowned for cheating then does that not say more about the perception other people have of that fan base?

You have to be pretty bad for that many people to hate you.

And you can't even claim the whole "jealous of your success" narrative anymore as for anyone under 40 they likely don't remember the days when Liverpool was dominant. So what drives it?

The tragedy chanting is awful and done by the lowest of the low at football clubs. But it is done for one reason and one reason only IMO - they know it works.
    They want to get under the skin of other fans and they will say anything to get there. It doesn't matter how low they have to go.

It's not something unique to Liverpool. I really don't think it is any deeper than that tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

In fairness that’s been said for many a season and I’m pretty sure spurs have a good record vs city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭BenK

Obviously it's got nothing to do with 'saving football', it's just not wanting a legitimate rival to have success. Simple as that. Hardly surprising.

In a way Arsenal /liverppol winning the league also legitmises City's success too as it makes it appear you can properly compete with them. I think City winning league after league highlights how messed up everything is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,334 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

accidental post, stupid how you can't delete anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭slumdogemillionaire

I am just so interested to see what happens to City when Guardiola leaves. I think/hope they will go back to the way they were for the 5 years or so years before he came…pick up a league here and there but in no way as dominant as they have been since he took over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭jacool

Without Klopp's Liverpool, we would be in the realm of recent Dublin football and current Limerick hurling dominance, and this would be the "race" for a 7th successive title! Next year, echoing @IrishOwl... it can only be Arsenal to put up a challenge I'd say. They will need an upgrade on Jesus, and perhaps a built in miracle too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,542 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Does that tally with the top four being as competitive as ever?

It just sounds like the kind of pre-empting Utd fans do when they fear their own period of domination compares unfavourably to City's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Constantly.

I don't mind someone who has a load of Liverpool fan friends wanting them to not win the title. That's understandable, to an extent (though complaining that online Liverpool fans would be unbearable is ludicrous. get out more if you're worried about that)

But the idea that Liverpool were ruining football by being the only one capable of competing, and the idea that City saved football by beating Liverpool to the league - both ideas were moronic.

It's best for the league if Arsenal do it. 6 in 7 seasons for City just doesn't look good.

Just like it would've been good for football if Liverpool had won it during one of those close races they missed out.

Arsenal have Gabriel 26, Saliba 23, White 26, Kiwior 24, Rice 25, Martinelli 22, Saka 22, Odegaard 25 and Havertz 24.

This team is going to continue to improve. I'd expect them to be ready to win the league next year. They might do it this year yet but I think next season it'll be theirs.

• Advertisement

Similarly to how Liverpool treated 19/20, Arsenal need to treat it the same way if they don't get over the line this season.

The attitude needs to be that they put absolutely everything into the League, and try to blow City out of it early. That is the only proven way to beat this City squad - take away the need for a 'run-in'.

the period after Guardiola leaves is so intriguing - both from who the club get to replace him, all the way to how the supporters react. it will be very hard for them to adjust their expectations if they don't stay quite as dominant.

The minute you mentioned who'd be after Pep the first name that popped into my head was Arteta.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭ronjo

I genuinely never heard anyone say Liverpool were ruining football by challenging City.

As a statement it makes zero sense…… who were these idiots saying it?

I don't think anyone is overly concerned with who is deemed to be more dominant.

BUT, it would be daft to compare point totals 15-20 years apart and say one side is better than the other because they gained more points.

City won the league last season on 89 points. Napoli won Serie A on 90 points.
    But nobody in their right mind would claim Napoli was a better side (or even close to that City side).

Comparing point totals only works when it is against the same teams in the same season. Otherwise, it has little to no worth because those points were not achieved under the same conditions or against the same opponents.

Even looking a season or 2 apart is kinda worthless. You'll have stronger years and weaker years depending on where teams are with their squads etc..

Where you end up relative to everyone else in that season is all that matters. That is the only true measure.

If you don't think it is easier to gain points now than it was 20 years ago that is fine. I will just point out that across Europe's top 5 leagues, nobody hit 100 points until Real Madrid in 2012. It has been done by a further 3 clubs since then.

It's hard to know but say they do appoint a manager who is only "very good" and not at the absolute top tier.
    That very good manager is still likely to be running with the best squad of players from 1-16 in the league.

City unfortunately are probably too well run to make any catastrophic errors in appointing a new man. They won't go for a full stylistic overhaul or anything like that so I can't see them dropping too far off.

Only Pep leaving and them getting hit (actually to the level they should) by the 115 charges could see them drop off.
    It would have to be relegation level stuff though.

If they got a massive fine and were docked somewhere between 10-20 points I'd bet they'd still make CL football that season and would be back to challenging again the following year.

• Advertisement

No harm in a spending cap coming into the PL, with the mad money that is being spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its such a strange discussion, I've never once heard it either yet people are talking about it seriously.

I may as well claim that United were getting blamed for City's dominance because they should have been able to stop them, and then take offence at people saying the thing I just invented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

Aston Villa have 2 billionaire owners one who knows an NBA team. They are now poor and will want to spend to stay in the top 4 now they look likely to be in the Champions League next season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Aren't Villa already in a tight spot when it comes to spending? CL qualification will certainly help though.

• Advertisement

De Zerbi was just the latest in a long line of "next big thing" managers, there is a new one along every season. Does relatively well for a period and gets hyped up by the media, then over time reality sets in and they regress back into the pack. There'll be another one along shortly.

Its why I hoped Alonso would go to Liverpool. They have no idea how he would do at a big club but he is the golden boy so they wanted him, it would have been amusing to see it play out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yeah this is the scenario. One of the things that will help though, is that Morgan Rogers looking like an absolute star early days will make it much easier to sell Jacob Ramsey for pure profit.

How much of a pickle are Villa actually in? As in, are they currently around a £80m loss over the last 3 seasons and close to the threshold leading up to the year end? Or is it actually currently over the threshold and need to bring themselves under again? Either way there are big losses being made a couple of years in a row as the club pushes to make it into the CL.

My understanding of it was that if Aston Villa wanted to spend similar money this summer as they have the last few summers (roughly €120m gross every year for the last 5 years), that they would have to make a decent sized sale again. Selling the HG player does give a big boost here, like Archer, Grealish & Chukwemeka did in previous years.

Haven't seen any suggestions of us failing for this season. Instead just that if revenues can't be largely increased, that sales would become inevitable to balance the books. CL should do that, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see Ramsey sold to allow Emery improve a few areas of the team/squad even further (a fit Mings/Kamara/Buendia would also help)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

No mention of Newcastle. Surely they voted against it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Doesn't appear so, I think they need approval of 16 teams to enact any changes so with three voting against and Chelsea on the fence it just about passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,215 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Leicester back up for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Could they be facing a points deduction next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Can't understand why City voted against that, sure they have a humongous support base and assosiated massive sponsorship based on that massive support 😏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭klose

As has been mentioned it was from opposition fans celebrating City winning the league over Liverpool they got 97 points was it? And came second. It was tongue in cheek from me and would be delighted to see Arsenal win the league against city this year or going forward as they look the only team that will be able to put it up to them for the foreseeable.

Nothing against teams being good and winning titles in a row, but city are just relentlessly tiresome at this stage for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They're wages as % of turnover is close to 90%. That's why they voted against.

If they reach the promised land of the CL though that gamble will have been worth it.

I like the sound of the CAP. Hopefully, it is done correctly.
    Even if it maybe isn't the best outcome for Utd I think overall it will be better for football in the long run.

Surely this is a good thing for City and their fans?
    Wasn't this "unfair advantage" the bigger clubs had the main issue their fans (and fans of other oil state clubs) had and their main reasoning for welcoming in the oil states to take over their club?

That the big bad cartel at the top of the league couldn't be competed against without a billionaire throwing unlimited funds at it?

Now if there is a cap in place then there is surely a route for any club to work their way up and do so in a sustainable way… The dream?

The only thing that needs to be covered is the potential for the likes of City or Newcastle to "offload" some of the wages by offering players paid work in UAE or Saudi for other jobs to supplement their income like Mancini had at City.

Other than that I am all for it.

A cap would be fantastic. Lots more money spent on developing youth instead of just hoovering up all the talent from smaller clubs at a young age.

A well organised club would have a great chance of contending regardless of size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭randd1

If they're going to insist on a cap, make it a set financial one, not one based on relative terms based on the bottom teams earnings.

Say for example, wages can't go over 250m a season in the premier league. It would allow clubs to pay serious wages to prominent players, but would limit how many prominent players a club could have. A cap of 250m would give you the option of having 13 players on 350k a week, but you'd have no-one else on the panel if that was the case. So a club would be forced to budget accordingly and not hoard quality players the way City does.

Players would still earn a fortune, and if needed, the cap could be raised every three years if agreed by all clubs depending on league income.

And I'd leave it as simply just base wages. Whatever player make outside the base wages is their own business. Although I'd tighten up loopholes, such as clubs and players that engage in their party payments, and have very serious consequences with two-season bans, increased salary fines (50% salary fine), reduced spending caps, relegation etc.

I think the way things are going in the sport, the super league will become an eventuality and leagues will have to do a spending cap anyway just to keep things in check.

Whats the point of a cap if they can't first address the rampant cheating already taking place?

Certain cheating clubs will just arrange payments through other means, giving them an even greater advantage than they already have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Seemingly Etihad are releasing their financial info into the public domain soon which means City are clear of all charges (according to City fans online).

City need to be expelled from the Premier league for as many years as they were cheating or benefiting from cheating.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mid week update to the top of the table after the Chelsea V Spurs game

Post edited by citytillidie on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭klose

Looking at the remaining fixtures it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Chelsea finished 6th.

Then again, they could get bet out the gate by West Ham at the weekend, wouldn’t know with them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement