Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

It's not even a useless argument, it's no kind of argument at all

Never criticise a doctor unless you're prepared to go to med school yourself

Never criticise a bus driver unless you're going to apply to drive the 46A yourself

It just makes no sense. The fact is that ministers are highly paid and are here to govern and protect the interests of Ireland so we should expect them to do a good job

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I wonder would moving IPAS to a border (or several) Border counties be useful? Accommodation in big barns all along the Border too. Dispersal to Dublin might be curtailed somewhat. Keep a satellite IPAS in Dublin near the airport.

Tent cities around the city centre of Dublin is ridiculous, although it may be deliberate for some reason.

I'm going off my head here so just throwing out something mad to keep me from sighing too much today. I know many views on my suggestions will be of the scoffing variety, but all suggestions welcome now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Lots of people here seem quite sensitive to the idea they should stand for election. I don't understand why. The country is falling apart and our current set of politicians are useless and yet all any of you will do is write hundreds of pages worth of essays and expect someone else to fix the issues?

Our current politicians have nothing to fear so. Literally can ignore all of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

One of the bigger offshore islands would be a suitable IPA centre.

Bere Island is plenty big enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

There will be tent cities in regional towns. Regardless we are on a hiding to nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Nah, but I just won't vote for any of the current crowd who are imposing this on the country and telling us that it's all fine if only we plebs understood the laws and procedures.

Myself, I'll be looking for sensible independents who are prepared to represent the interests of us the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭combat14

Sunak 'not interested' in pursuing deal with Ireland on asylum seekers (RTE)

time for a massive rethink here - the UKs approach to migration is akin to a declaration of war on the country our very social cohesion, economic and cultural security is at stake

• Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

At least I know one sure fire solution to get the migrates to leave, we ask them nicely!!!

It's our trump card, we'll use it as a last resort

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I think we'll have enough somewhat less than grounded in reality anti-immigration candidates at the next elections.

No need to encourage any more thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭brickster69

What's the north pole like this time of year ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This is a ridiculous argument. A politician's whole reason for being (in theory anyway!) is to stand for the will, needs and interests of his/her constituents and country as a whole when it comes to TDs.

For that they are elected and entrusted with the responsibility and duty of carrying this out. They are rewarded/compensated accordingly, and backed up by an army of civil servants, experts, and advisors to help.

To say "do it yourself then" is a nonsensical statement. They applied for, were elected to and are beig paid to do the job. Now they need to get on with it!

Declaration of war and still no interest in standing for election. We better hope we're never actually invaded or we're screwed. Unless we can defeat them with anonymous hot air in which case we'll crush them.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

When you're elected you'll also have the army of civil servants. They're not some special breed apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Was been talked about 11 months ago on Newstalk, a reporter was at Mount street talking to international protection applicants. Alot said they came via the North. The government are behind on this as they are with most things.

Whinging on here about Irish politics is a damn sight better than lads with 80,000 posts dominating the discourse on a daily basis with American politics and its associated nonsense.

The Irish discourse needs to take over and this cult of personality shite needs to be knocked on the head.

Ireland as usual caught up in the crossfire between Brexit and the EU. Very foolish of our government not to have recognised this likely outcome in the Brexit negotiations and leave us exposed.

Whether we like it or not, we're a bit of a football to be kicked about by interests in the UK and EU. Geographically & historically we have always aligned more with Britain and now finding out again why that basic reality applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

You'd never know, we might get a Moloney version of Meloni some day soon. Brothers (and sisters) of Ireland maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

This is the Gov own fault, completely asleep at the wheel for the past year and half, to busy calling everyone far rite who highlighted the issue and now look where we are. Virtue signalling only gets you so far until reality finally kicks in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭highpitcheric

marked.

This will all blow up in UKs face.

Just like with the border, and brexit.

NI unionists to go under the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭prunudo

i think thats because up until very recently they didn't realise there was a problem and thought the whole country was on board with welcoming an endless stream of AS into the country. For whatever reason, through arrogance or ineptitude, they thought the only people against it were far right minority. The were told time and time again but they weren't listening to communities but they just bulldozed on with their plans.

And we have the pleasure of paying 3 of this musical chairs mob a Taoiseach's pension for life. We are getting invoiced x3 for this clown car on fire of a Government.

As someone who knows Italy the very last thing Ireland needs is to copy that mess. It's terrifying to even think of it. Please stand for election on that platform. The rest of us could do with the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, the way this has emerged in the last week has been quite odd. Looking at the Newsnight figures, it seems that asylum seekers may have been arriving this way from NI a year ago or even much further back. It's strange that the Govt has stumbled into a row with the UK over something that may have been going on for ages…..doesn't reflect well on them (and the Tories will of course use this row for domestic propaganda purposes).

What are you suggesting? That NI will impose immigration controls at Larne and the airports, an Irish Sea border?

Some hope that the Tories and unionists will agree to that for their own very good reasons!!

We're screwed until we manage our own very porous border.

We pay them to fix the issues and expect not to be baton charged when we tell them they are making a bollox of it.

Just last week the Taoiseach had to make a state apology for a miscarriage of justice over the stardust.

The state is fallible at times.

We vote and pay our taxes and thus have the right to whinge about it.

McNamara got 30 minutes to talk about this…..thats it. They didnt even have answers to the info he requested from the minister months in advance.

They are not taking it seriously enough via the legitimate channels.

They are labelling protests as illegitimate and undignified.

They are baton charging their own citizens.

Now you dont want us to talk about it online either.

Marvellous.

Its like telling a lad who criticises Salah for missing a penalty to "go start your own football team".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Lofidelity

Up to a few months ago, discussion of immigration was completely taboo, despite one in five people in the country being born elsewhere. Now its daily news and polite, respectable society are finally broaching the topic.

As you say the gov thought the country was behind them but in reality they never listened to the ordinary people, just the advocacy groups that they invited into Leinster house. The advocacy groups who purport to represent the ordinary people but in reality just lecture them and lobby for laws to control them.

Advertisement