Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BEV and PHEV suggestions to replace current EV

Options
  • 23-04-2024 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

As summer approaches, we’re considering replacing our ID4. While it has served us well, we won’t be purchasing another one due to the well-discussed limitations of this first generation EV from VW. We’ve owned other VWs in the past with better overall build quality. The 2024 model has seen significant software improvements, but we’re still inclined to wait for the next generation. Our current 77kWh model provides ample battery capacity for me, but my wife experiences range anxiety. She avoids work trips where charging is necessary. Consequently, we’re exploring PHEVs, and the new Tiguan Hybrid seems like a suitable replacement for our ID4. Although it’s a somewhat unexciting and pricey option, she’s drawn to it. We’re also open to other mid-sized SUVs in the 45-60k range. While I favor the Tesla Model Y for its electric capabilities, my wife prefers a PHEV. Sedans and hatchbacks are out of the question; she wants a higher driving position and the ability to fit three car seats in the back if possible. Interestingly, her favorite car on the market right now is the ID Buzz, but we’re concerned about its battery pack being similar to the ID4’s.

I don't pay much attention to the PHEV market, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. A PHEV or an EV with a bigger battery is the direction we are hoping to take.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

BMW 225xe/230xe, 80km range or so, pricey, not a SUV, more like a MPV/hatch cross. Don't think 3 kids seats will fit.

Toyota chr phev 60km or so, starts at 42k, no idea on kids

Rav 4 expensive, 75km range or so, don't know about kids

Skoda, I forget the name, its probably the same as the tiguan.

Xceed? I like the look of them.

kuga phev, grandland x, don't know anything about them.

On petrol the bmw will do around 50 mpg under 100km and 45 mpg @ 120km.

Electric, EQE and S there is an SUV version but I would sit down before looking at the price, long range .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Buzz will be slightly worse on the range than the ID4, otherwise a cracking buy now that prices have rationalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I'd like one myself. I see a guy on here got a lovely silver one. I like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I'd be inclined to suggest you drop the PHEV from the options as it would be unlikely to save much if any money in mileage cost and would (if intended to be used on battery power) mean even more likelihood of public charging rather than less. Otherwise it would just be a petrol car lugging around a heavy and useless battery pack and motor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

I wouldn’t get a buzz if you don’t like the range of ID.4. It’s a big ol thing and gonna have way less range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

This is the bigger battery 87kw with a range of up to 532 km WLTP.

Nissan Ariya 222 Reg Demo 87kw Advance.

Who are they kidding with that Ariya price?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭freddieot

I have a Sorento PHEV. Can't fault it and not buying a full EV for similar reasons as you mentioned. However the AWD and size of the Sorento does fit my needs. KIA also make the smaller Sportage PHev. Check out the specs and see if one of these might do for your needs.

The Sorento does about 51-55km on a charge. (I think the Sportage supposedly does about 80km). The Sorento suits me as I usually do trips well within this range, so I use hardly any petrol. Charge after use at home etc.

No range anxiety of course with a PHEV. Just back from a trip to West Cork from Dublin. These trips can be expensive once the battery is used up but overall mileage based on 16,000 km so far from new is still 6.0. Not bad for a 2.2 tonne, permanent AWD, 265 bhp vehicle of this size. If you intend numerous long journeys though I would not recommend any PHEV as that would start to cost you on the petrol side. EVs are obviously better if you are doing higher miles on long trips but then you are back to worrying about the charging again.

On the build quality side, this is my third Sorento. They all come with 7 year warranty. Never an issue in all the time I've had them. Latest versions have a lot of kit including multiple safety systems included whereas other manufacturers screw you through the options lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭davidivad

Skoda Kodiaq, big car, lots of space and batter will cover 100k and petrol will cover the excess. PHEV version only comes as a 5 seater, not as a 7 seater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

On my second RAV4 PHEV. Current one is a gr sport with plenty toys. Only ever needs petrol when going on a long journey (eg Cork Dublin) electric only range about what advertised by Toyota. Approx 7l/100km when battery depleted.

Not a cheap car, but holds its value well. Very quick, has awd, can tow and obviously no range anxiety.

I have often said here phevs are an ideal, but maligned solution for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Woodie40

They definitely suit some people, although you won’t get many agreeing with you here. You will get the usual, carrying a battery around with you, when the same people are driving round a two tonne tessie themselves.
    I drive an EV but I am not such a sycophant to think they suit everyone at this moment in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

BYD ATTO-3 It's an SUV and electric with a good range. Not sure if it's better than your ID4.

New Renault Scenic. It can come with an 87kw battery and 625kms of range. The basic one only has a 60kw do so if you were to go for the Scenic and with your wife's range anxiety you need to get the 87kw one

https://www.renault.ie/cars/Scenic/home.html

Peugeot E-3008 much better range than your ID-4 and looks great too.

New Opel Grandland E is another option if you can wait till its out. It will have better range than a Tesla Y.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Is the tiguan hybrid available in Ireland?

A key bit of information that we need here are the distances your wife does and at what point range anxiety kicks in.

If the journeys are 400km+ and/or anxiety starts at 50% then all the fully electric models available are pretty much out.

I fact, from what you've told us, anything under 80kwh is likely to disappoint in the same way the id4 has for you.

I get the feeling it wouldn't matter what size the battery is, the anxiety comes from not being in an ICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What kind of driving does a PHEV suit?Have never really understood what they are for. Id do about 75km per day per return commute

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Its for those who generally drive within the EV range of the car each day but who also do longer drives and dont want the hassle of enroute charging.

You need to plug it in every night for it to be any way worthwhile.

The anxiety seems to come from a fear of public charging. Could be wrong, but that's what I'm reading from the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

my mum was terrified of using an unattended petrol pump for ages. People are scared of what they don’t know. And to be fair public charging isn’t as simple as it should be in many cases.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I understand that alright. But with the petrol pump, there's definitely things to fear: spilling petrol all over the ground, not being able to open the filler cap, not being able to close the filler cap etc.

The only analog with EVs is the filler cap. Which (since it's charged at home all the time) shouldn't be an issue. So after that, it's just familiarity. Always thought the supermarket chargers were a great stepping stone to public charging. No fuss or hassle, plenty of time and usually no queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm not sure if range anxiety was such a deal breaker, I'd bother with a Phev. It also suggests you're doing longer trips more often than a Phev is really suited to.

I'd just get a Enyaq or Rav or similar for a quiet life.

It appeared online this week. Its a shite car if you ask me, way too expensive and I couldnt be bothered with a hybrid but my wife wants rid of the ID4 and I think this is what we will get. To be fair, she will probably knock around on EV mode most of the time and when she does venture a little further, waste all of her money lugging the 1.5l petrol engine around. 😂

I'm going to try and talk her into a Model Y or an ID Buzz first. Theres actually very Hybrids in the price bracket we are looking at.

Interesting. My mother (who is actually well suited to an EV) was interested in the Tiguan hybrid but the dealer said it was going to be UK only. Now that was a few weeks ago so I appreciate things can change.

Personally not gone on it myself, but each to their own. People that like the tiguan might equally say the ID4 is a crock.

I prefer our ID4. I really don't want my wife to buy another Tiguan but if she want's a hybrid that's up to her. The R-line is nice in Oyster Silver but overall it's a bit boy racer-ish in this generation and I'd say we will end up buying an Elegance this time around.

Advertisement