Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭con747

No experience with them but online searches don't show any red flags. Nearly all panels, if not all panels reputable suppliers use here are the same so I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭fido_dido

What do you guys think about this quote. My house was built after 2021 so no grant.

12 x 430w panels 
        Hybrid inverter (this leaves you ready for battery in the future)
        Roof mounting equipment 
        All labour works
        All electrical testing and commissioning 
        Online monitoring to see each day exactly what your system is producing
        BER

Final price : 6900.

Another question, my house is already A2 rated would it make sense to get another BER done after getting panels installed. Could I just skip it save another 300 off the final price?

Decent price, if you don't intend selling the house in the next 10 years not much point unless you just want to know how much the solar increases the rating. Put it into the quote calculator for a guide price. http://davidhunt.ie/solar/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

No grant, no need for BER. Can always be done at a later date anyway if you ever need one. Ber only useful if selling/applying for grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Hi all,

I have a quote of 12,900 for:

• 5kWh 12 panel system (Jinko)
    • 5.1kWh battery (Dyness)
    • SoFar Solar inverter

Notes:

• It is a split system; 7 panels on the East roof, 5 in the West.
    • We do not qualify for the grant
    • We do have an EV
    • We will be home during the Summer so can take best advantage of the week or two sun we get (:p).

They approximate a yearly saving of 1800 euro with 70% usage and 30% being sold to the grid.

I am grateful for advice, and I am enjoying getting up to speed with the technology in recent weeks.

How does this sound?

Edit: David Hunts calculator says look elsewhere.

"No grant applicable. Using the rule of thumb of €1000 per kW of panels, €420 per kWh of battery, that should be about €9242 for that system (after grant). But it's only a rule of thumb. Just don't go above €1300 per kW of panels and €550 per kWh battery (ex VAT), which would give you €11405 after grant.Your quote is ending up at €12900 after grant, which is €3658 beyond what I'd consider ballpark, and €1495 beyond the upper limit of value. Look elsewhere."

• Advertisement

What wattage are the panels? Input the details in the quote calculator for a rough estimate. http://davidhunt.ie/solar/

Use this to see what the generation will be. https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/

It is a 5kWh system, so that works out to around 410 per panel. They said 5kWh was the max you could get for residential, or something along those lines.

I provided the text to the solar quote analyser, which seemed quite clear!

That EU calculator will take some time for me to figure out, but thank you.

The only restriction on system size for the NC6 is the inverter size and export limit AFAIK but you can over size the system depending on orientations of the panels and the specs of them.   https://www.esbnetworks.ie/new-connections/generator-connections-group/micro-generators-

Thank you. The quote I got seems more expensive than what I am seeing on this thread, but perhaps only by around 1000 or so but I look forward to some opinions from yourself and other experts.

I will contact a few more installers.

What do the brands sound like?

Nothing wrong with the brands there, a lot here have them all with no complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 paulos

Here's a quote I got for a similar size system.

It's the lowest quote I've gotten so far.

12 x 435w panels ( Client can select their Tier 1panel of choice -Jinko, Longi, Trina)

• 5 x Tigo optimisers

• 1x Solis Hybrid inverter (5.5kVA).

• K2 Germany Roof mounting equipment

• WECO 5.3kWh (EU battery)

€6,960 after grant

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭fido_dido

I got an quote from *******
    Couldn't find any reviews as such for the installer. Ads came up as I was scrolling and decided to get a quote.

12x Trina BiFacial Vertex S+ N type 430W solar panel
    Libbi 5kW Hybrid + 5kWh Battery Bundle inverter
    Eastron SDM120A Single Phase Energy Meter
    Set of PV warning labels / stickers
    ThinkWe 4 Pole (2-string) Fire Safety Switch
    2x PEAS69-EL32R-4 32a 4 Pole AC Iso
    2x PEDSC100R-EL32R-4 32A 4Pole Iso
    4x MC4 4mm Connector Pair
    100m reel of 4mm2 solar cable
    12x K2 black universal end clamp
    18x K2 black universal mid clamp
    12x K2 end cap for light rail
    30x K2 slate/flat tile roof hook
    30x Genius retrofit
    30x K2 T-bolt M10 x 30
    30x K2 hexagon flange nut M10
    6x K2 light rail connector
    2x K2 Spax screw 8x80 (box of 50)
    8x K2 light rail 3650mm
    Integrated with existing EV charger.

All for 8100 without grant.

This by far seems the cheapest that I have got with battery.

Post edited by Jonathan on

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭DrPsychia

Would you DM me the name of the company please. Looks great. I'd get it without the battery

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,692 ✭✭✭deezell

From the now deleted link, I recall that they're Limerick based, they have a Limerick landlline no. on their website and pictures of fully branded vans with the phone nos on the side. No business address on the website, though the company is registered to a residential address not far from Ballysimon, where a Google search shows the business based in an industrial park, near a big fireplace seller.

There's a few reviews on their own website, the company is only on the register since last June. There's a UK company of the same name based in a rural yard, I don't know if there's any connection. If they're SEAI approved, you'd expect legitimacy at least.

I've got another quote (below) for 11500 before grant. It looks to be better value than the first one I got (12 panels and battery for 12900. Fido_dido, your quote seems excellent. I wonder are there drawbacks to such a low price. I hope not!!

My new quote (11500 euro)

Solar Panels

Jinko

7.830 kW Total Solar Power

18 x 435 Watt Panels (JKM435N-54HL4R-B)

5,726 kWh per year

Inverter

Solis

5 kW Total Inverter Rating

1 x S5-EH1P5K-L

Battery

Weco

5.3 kWh Total Battery Storage

1 x W5K3XPLV

• Registered Users Posts: 6 paddym88

@paddym88 I asked an installer about the need for a battery given how good the tariffs are to sell back to the grid. He said that the battery would speed up the return on investment and help with avoiding more expensive provider rates. The providers own website has a page saying how the need for a battery is worth questioning.

In my most recent quote, the battery only added 1500 to the total. The 18 panels with no battery was 10,001 euro.

All before grant for me (not eligible)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 paddym88

After getting a good few quotes and narrowed it down to the 2 below. Neither includes battery or Eddie. Both quotes are similar except for panels and inverter used and also price. Wife works from home so there is always someone in the house. Would ye think it would be best to go with battery or is it worth it if have someone at home throughout the day. B

Quote 1:

16no 430W Jinko N-Type PV Panels, 30 year performance warranty, 25 year product warranty- 6.88kW system

1no 5kW Solis hybrid Invertor

Van Der Valk mounting system as required

1no shunt/fireman switch

Installation of Solis 24 hour monitoring app

All ESB & Safe Electric commissioning reports & certificates

All SEAI Grant application paperwork

Post BER included

Price: €7800

Quote 2:

16no Jinko 435 watt panels 30 year performance warranty, 25 year product warranty

1no 5kw Huawei Sun2000 5KTL- L1 inverter

Van Der Valk mounting system

Installation of monitoring app

Fireman Switch

Seai Grant application

All electrical certificates

Ber included

Price : €6900

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Quote 2 looks good, prices here and there seem to becoming more realistic lately.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭id.4 fan

Hi all, I’ve had around 5 installers call to my home to give me quotes for a 12 panel 5.2kw system and I’m wondering am I getting a fair price on the following system:

It’s costing me €12k net after grant. The installers maintains I will need 12 optimizers for max efficiency as my 3 roof tops are facing different directions. South- South West- South East.

Everything included in the installation except the BER.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

As you have 5 quotes, how did they compare with each other.

More awkward roofs will be more expensive.. even with optimisers on every panel it's pushing 2x what the rough calculation gives (link on the first post)

All 5 quotes varied, all net of grant:

Some of the installers seem to be gobbling up the grant and still overcharging!

Quote 1: €15K with 10KW battery

Quote 2: €13K with 10KW battery

Quote 3: €10 with 5KW battery(also Eddie))

Quote 4: €8.5K with no battery

Quote 5: €12K with 10KW battery

Looks like the battery is crippling the quote and the need for optimizers to a lesser extent.

Post edited by id.4 fan on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Galway based.
    Local supplier and easy to reach. Been installing a couple of years at this stage.

6.88 kW System Size

16 x Tiger Neo N-type 54HL4 410- 430 Watt panels (15 Year Product Warranty & 30 Year Linear Performance Warranty)

Inverter: SOLIS Hybrid - RHI-5K-48ES-5G (5.0 -year Standard Warranty) installed with changeover switch in case of grid outage.

Battery: Dyness 10.24 kWh Total Battery ( 2 x BX51100) - these added €1500 each to my quote. 

3.68 kW, Single Phase Eco-Smart Energy Diverter 1 x Eddi (this added €500 to my quote)
    1 x BER assessment

€13,100 before grant
    €11,000 after grant. (This is what I pay - company takes the grant back direct).

Average use is 14.5KwH per day at home here. I work from home most days so daytime usage is probably higher than average.

if I were to remove the batteries and eddi it would reduce by €3500. I think I will go with them to help balance out winter months and also useful in case of power cuts which have badly affected us recently with the storms.

Any feedback very welcome thanks a mil.

Looks like a good price!

I’m gonna haggle with quote 5 and see can I get him down to at least €11k. If not I’ll keep shopping around.

I think there are a number of factors working against me here. The extra roofing, the premium branded Huawei gear, seasonal timing of the install and the fact that some of the installers are still trying to take the proverbial piss with their prices.

I can see now Solar installs are one of the few things in Ireland that are actually coming down in price 👍

I wouldn't say Huawei are premium branded.

No more premium than any other inverter mentioned here.

SMA, Fronius I'd class as premium brands

4 of the 5 installers I used all used Huawei gear in their own homes so I was just presuming if they’re using them they must be premium plus the fact that Huawei already has a favorable repute in the electronics market ie.phone, tablets etc etc

I just made an counter offer of €11k for quote 5 and I’m waiting for a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,508 ✭✭✭✭ted1

During the summer you sell for 21c/kwh

You then Charge your battery during boost rate at around 10c/kwh

so the difference between the 2 in the summer is 11c/kwh.

But in the winter when you are not producing as much and having to import. the difference between charging the battery at night and not having to import at day rate is 25c/kwh,

so batteries can pay for themselves fast

Just to clarify, the Huawei inverters are good, but they are on par with the rest, sofar, solis, sunsynk, etc.

They would not be considered a premium brand, some of the lowest quotes I've seen was Huawei and they were in some of the highest quotes too.

They do have good availability as kellihers electrical now stock them.

• Advertisement

It’s the quality of the battery I’m more concerned about than the inverter, The Huawei batteries definitely look more premium than most I’ve seen plus they run in parallel instead of series and imo this is a better setup but that’s just my opinion.

I’ve heard a few stories about other battery manufacturers not standing by their warranties and I just couldn’t see this being a problem with a company like Huawei.

Anyhow, the installer just got back to me and said he would accept €11k for quote 5. Just goes to show there is room for bargaining with these guys!

I’m happy enough to go with this price considering my setup isn’t straight forward.

Advertisement