Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭Damien360

I believe, although with no proof, his contract change away from performance to straight up £400k/week can't have helped team cohesion and hopefully we won't see anymore of those type of contracts which put a large dent in the wage bill also.

The club has a terrible tendency to hang on to people past their prime for some sort of solidarity reasons. And fans appear to demand it on the basis of the players previous loyalty. They were paid for their loyalty, no need to keep paying. Salah appears to have left the building anyway so we should try cash in and replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

As much as I love the Egyptian king, we'll have to go without him at some point. This is the last season where we can demand a decent fee so I'd see merit in cashing in and reinvesting in the squad, as we did with Torres and Suarez and Coutinho before him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,553 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Considering we made a bid of 111m for Caicedo, I'd say we're not short of money, and we should be offloading these, get a proper striker, a proper no6,

Nunez 60m

Kelleher 15m

Thiago 0

Matip 0

Rhys Williams 5

Jota 30

given Kelleher’s recent stint in goal, he is worth much more than £15m. Nunez on the other hand is barely worth £20m and certainly not the £60m you state. He has had his chance upon chance and proven to be a crock.

Maybe Nunez can be given a shot under new manager, Pep bought Haaland, played him up top, and accepted he was going to be playing with ten men, so moved Stones into midfield from rightback to make up the loss of Sleepy Haaland who does nothing but score, while Nunez does everything but score, maybe Slot will just stick Nunez top and center and see if he can take chances that way, Nunez misses a lot, but no one misses more than Haaland, Haaland is well clear at the top of the ''big chances missed'' table, but he gets so many chances while standing up there, that he gets 20 plus easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ah ffs, 20m?! there'd be no shortage of clubs battering down your door for a lad with 18 goals and 13 assists this season, who's showed huge improvement from his first to second seasons.

The extreme reactions to these things are so nuts - I know he's in awful form right now, but equally he was in great form a few months ago. That's football. Just because someone is not elite level doesn't mean they're shït.

I wouldn't be letting him go yet anyway, to me it just feels like he's playing the wrong position right now. He's just not the guy you want in the box to finish clinical chances. But put him left wing where he can do all his positive stuff, without the pressure of being on the end of everything, and he'll still get a rake of goals and assists and cause all sorts of problems. He's still our second-top scorer, and has more goals and more assists than Diaz in fewer minutes (13 more goal contributions in fact!).

I would have been a big Nunez chanter of "he will show his ability, more time" all season but his latest form is beyond stinking. I've given up on him. He gets an unbelievable amount of supply and wastes so much. Even his positioning is now poor. The big strong lanky guy has been figured out by defenders and he ain't coming good. Diaz for all his effort is not much better. He runs into blind alleys constantly. Strangely we would probably make more selling him than Nunez.

I don't get this at all… he aint coming good, despite the fact that he actually did come good after a difficult first season, and was our most important and impactful player for a good chunk of the season? He's in a horrible rut - same as Salah - but it's a bit nonsensical to assume that rut from the past 2 months is simply the level, ignoring the months of contributions earlier. Think it's actually safer to assume that his form during a period when the whole team is atrocious is more of an outlier than the rest of the season. I particularly don't understand the 'figured out' aspect - the only person defeating him is himself, even in poor form he's still overpowering/outpacing defenders and getting those chances he's missing.

As I said I'd take him out of the goalscoring firing line for now, and would have him every day of the week ahead of Diaz on the left. Feels like he perhaps got shoehorned into the 9 role too early in his career because of his incredible speed and power, when actually at the top level those attributes are better used as a wide forward, and suits his style of goalscoring anyway - raspers coming inside onto his right foot.

Feels like a lot of short term memory stuff with this. Sounds like Slot loves pacy wingers who run at people anyway, so hopefully he'll see Nunez as a big potential option there.

_________Alisson_______

Bradley_Konate_VVD_Robertson

___MacAllister__EdsonAlvarez__

Salah____Trent____Diaz___

________Nunez____________

How Slot lines up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Nunez may not be the standard required for teams looking to win the Premier League but 20m gets your strikers like feckin Cameron Archer these days.

Of the top of my head in the last 12 months, players like Harvey Barnes went for around 40m, Nathan Collins for around 25m and think of all the money spent by the likes of Chelsea on absolutely dross...

Nunez is getting you a lot more than 20m if you're looking to sell.

• Advertisement

On a seperate - but connected - note, looking at CF, from next season i'd much rather see Mo centre forward, or at least in that 10 position off a forward like Gakpo. He's getting too lost miles out wide, and not getting involved in the areas of the pitch he can now do the most damage. He's still quick, but I'm not sure he can sustain that speed, so is better off where short bursts can put him clear or buy him space for a shot.

I can't help but think of the one chunk of time he played consistently as a central striker for us, back in 18/19. Played a run of 13 games there in the middle of the season (with Shaqiri right), and in those 13 games scored 13 goals with 6 more assists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

This was covered by the Athletic a while back. I think they scaled for 2018 to 2023 and Liverpool had outspent Arsenal by nearly 600m in wages across those 5/6 years, according to the figures that they had. I'm not saying Arsenal haven't spent, but there's more metrics involved than players in/out when looking at things like nett spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭SM01

To echo Rebel's couple of posts, i too feel there's a gross overreaction to Nunez.

Earlier in the season he was "bringing the chaos" and had a fine relationship with Salah. Nearly everyone loved him. Now he's a pariah who's been figured out? Nah, I'm not buying that. The collective team have been poor (barring Alexis and maybe Diaz, another player who gets it in the neck unfairly - let's remember it was only recently his father was kidnapped - that's gonna have long term ramifications on his game, but i digress).

Nunez, Salah, Robertson, Sob, Konate, even Endo and Virgil have all been off colour. Allison has been out. Maybe we just ran out of steam, playing until recently in 4 competitions, and those injuries have caught up. Maybe only with hindsight we can see this and we probably should've leaned on the kids a bit more to paper the cracks? Nunez does have plenty improving to do but i wouldn't be discarding him yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I feel sorry for Nunez in a way also, when you look at some of the service he gets. For example, the Everton game. He got one chance, and typically he messed it up. But after that, he got nothing and it's been the same for a lot of games.

When Jota was scoring and Salah was scoring we could get away with Nunez causing havoc but not scoring. When we needed him to step up to the plate and score the goals we were certainly let down which proves he's not clinical enough to be the main man.

I'd definitely give him another season as he brings a lot to the team but he needs a Jota beside him to put the ball in the net, an old fashioned Quinn and Philips partnership.

I can totally see why some fans never rated him or have lost fait in him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭Talisman

Ah Toby you're outdoing yourself there with those valuations

In a world where Arsenal paid Sheffield United £30M for Aaron Ramsdale, Everton paid Sunderland £25M for Jordan Pickford and Burnley paid £19M for James Trafford, how is Caoimhin Kelleher only worth £15M?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I assume you want Spurs to lose rather than Arsenal win the title? Never understood that, wanting your team to lose. I can understand not being bothered when you lose, like Liverpool against Chelsea in the 09-10 season. But I could never think to will my team to lose. Its not like Liverpool sat back and allowed a Kenny Dalglish team to easily win in 1995 to win the title against United. It is up to the other team to beat you, you don't sit back and let them win. That is just wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Shouldn't entertain anything less than 30m for Kelleher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

We have been sh1te for so long , thats all we have left to look forward to! 😏 (half joking …..)

If we play (try) as we have been for the past 5-6 weeks ,City will still beat us anyway ………

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Mo no go...

We could definitely do with him coming out and saying that the weekend strop was high emotions and it's water under the bridge, that him and Klopp are solid. Ideally with an apology, but even without it would be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭decies

according to the Athletic Liverpool expect Salah to stay at Liverpool for next season

What else can they say? Oh we expect to flog Mo on the cheap, submit your lowball offers now.

Nah, claim he's staying and not available for any price and see if an air of unobtainability inflates the price. If they get a big enough offer, I expect he'll be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Great news ^^

Not sure why some are so desperate for him to be moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

Exactly, they can say nothing else. Let's see what happens. He may want to see how the new manager is before deciding anything too. Expect this to run all summer long.

• Advertisement

I agree they'd never admit to expecting him to leave, but the "contract to be addressed in due course" suggests an extension

I think you're right that a large enough offer would see the club waver. I'm still not convinced he'd want to go to Saudi Arabia though, and that seems the most likely place for a big offer to come from

Big article in the guardian about Salah's ego.

I didn't love his comments on Saturday but I think that's a bit revisionist. I don't think you could accuse him of being egotistical during his time year.

The opposite if anything

Just want to blame the collapse on someone. I'd be gutted to see him go, I think playing in his current position has reached the end though. Plenty to give as a no. 10 or 2nd striker.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

My read of this is that he is 100% going. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ornstein hasn't exactly been on the ball entirely with Liverpool news in the last few months.

And today is the perfect time is put out any article on Salah's future to gain views.

• Advertisement

From a purely footballing pov, I wouldn't want to risk Mo's contributions unless it's guaranteed we could spend the money well.

That has not really been the case with Diaz (less so), Gakpo and Nunez.

Id much rather ship out 1 or 2 of those.

Id love for Mo to come out and all it water under the bridge purely from a relationship with Klopp pov.

Dont want the wheels to come off completely during the next few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Because the thoughts of 80m pound player leaving for nothing next season is frankly a disaster situation. For a club run the Liverpool is often having to sell players to free up funds & salaries surely you understand that?

Lallana, Milner, Ox, Firmino and Thiago, Matip all likely got on frees is too many players to not get a cent for. Add salah who’s the most sought after player in Saudi leaving for nothing should not be allowed . I have no issue with him having a poor spell in front of goal but his overall game right now is at the lowest ebb I’ve seen from him so with a new manager in place it might be time to start fresh as salah is undoubtedly on a downward trajectory at this stage .

The problem is Mo likely gets a much larger pay day winding his contract down so I fully expect him to stay on and it’s worth millions if not 10s of millions more to him. Wouldn’t be surprised in slightest if this is his agent floating these stories that orstein and Joyce are running .

I'd imagine him staying is pending on him singing an extenion. They will have to make him some offer and if he refuses then we will see where it goes from there.

There's no way a club like Liverpool are going to be like, yes you can stay, see out your contract, get paid 20 odd million for doing so and then you can swan off as you please next year, no hard feelings.

Now it could all play out like that unfortunately, but this talk of him going, now he's staying, contact extensions, no contract offer etc etc etc… is all smoke and mirrors.

Roll on July 1st, it'll be a new crew behind the scenes and Klopp won't be around insisting that the club keeps his band of men together.

Edwards and Hughes will have no emotional attachment to the older members of the squad. FSG made no secret of the fact that their model was to move players on before they got too old and I expect the club to return to that immediately.

Arne Slot may well be looking forward to working with Salah, but if Salah and the agent aren't interested in a realistic extension I would expect him to be shipped out.

• Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There is some serious revisionism going on in this thread regarding Nunez, pretending like his issues are only a recent thing or that people have only suddenly noticed.

People were criticising Nunez at the start of the season. They were criticising him last season. His issues now are the same as they always were. There is nothing new here. He hasn't got any better this season, he's got worse, we can't even use the "he runs around a lot" excuse any more to cover up the serious limitations to his game.

Comparing Nunez to the likes of Salah, Robertson and VVD is nonsensical. These are players you can genuinely say are off colour, because they have shown us what they are capable of and proven themselves. He doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same category as players like this. Nunez has never, ever been anything other than a flash in the pan. A goal here, a goal there, and then weeks on end of screw ups and rubbish.

Nunez would be a decent player for a lesser team but he's not title challenger material and the only reason excuses are made for him is because of the price we paid.

People keep saying things like "we wouldn't be where we are without him" but this is really just more excuses. If we hadn't signed Nunez we'd have signed someone else, people talk like he's the only player in the world we can sign who will run a lot. In reality, it is hard to be certain where we'd be without him, but what we can absolutely be certain of is we'd be a lot better off if we had a forward who converted even half of the absolute sitters he has missed.

He's not good enough. If he stays, I am certain we'll be having the same conversation 12 months from now. He's an erratic, unreliable player, that's just what he is and it's not what we need.

Defended Nunez all season, but he isn't good enough, he has 2 seasons. Last season was so bad for the whole team I excused his performances and just overall settling in to a new league. Brief purple patches this season but his finishing is just too eratic and rushed, he has missed some ridiculous chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Agree, the chances he has been missing all season long have been ridiculous, but, weren't as costly because Salah until Christmas and then Jota were scoring, with Jota injured and Salah totally out of form, Nunez's and Diaz's misses have proved hugely costly, with 7 or 8 games to go we had a 2 point lead, and while we played poorly since then, we still created enough chances to win the United match and at least draw the Palace match, even against West Ham we really should have won, the Everton game was the only match where we were dreadful and that was probably as a consequence of dropping points against United and Palace. Nunez and to a lesser extent Diaz are two of the main reasons we are out of the title race. We’re not likely to be in that position again for a long time, so its understandable that people are fed up with Nunez butchering chance after chance.

Post edited by Girly Gal on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭passatman86

We are due a few sh1t years as Liverpool fans.. Brace yourselves it's going to be tough I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Read a few days ago an article that Edwards and Hughes will be making their decisions based on head and not heart.

I think we could see a bit of a clear out to raise funds for the next manager.

• Advertisement

Who knows, the club and squad is in fairly good health, there is no reason to expect anything less than Top 4 next season. Excited to see what changes the new coaching team will make, how we will setup, can they improve the fitness of some of our more injury prone players. Its been 9 years under Klopp, the 3rd longest managerial reign in the premier league. Interesting times ahead for sure.

We suffered the Hodgson days, when the club nearly went bankrupt, we are a million miles from that.

I agree, even with the seismic change we're about to go through I believe we'll be top three next season. Obviously there's teams close behind that could catch us, or we could fall back, but I don't think we will. Hopefully... 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭esker72

If we're going to cash in on anybody, and this is going to be unpopular, but I think it should be Trent. Absolutely horrendous defending against Everton and shows no sign of even wanting to improve that side of his game. Yes, he creates a lot and you could move him into midfield but the sort of transfer fee that you would get would allow you to seriously strengthen with a proper midfielder and have change left over. Bradley looks like a decent option there with Gomez as back up. When Trent is playing you are also pulling the centre halves over to cover and it's a really easy tactic for opposing teams to exploit. It doesn't help that we have a front three that barely pass to each other and cough up possession leaving us short at the back.

The club isn't headed to the doldrums as happened when David Moores became chairman in 1991.

Salah and Klopp traveled this Liverpool journey together, both are feeling the stress of losing that connection. Salah was Jones age when he joined, still a raw talent, they owe each other a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I don't think anyone is saying that, but, we are not going to be the main contenders to City, we'll be a top 4 team as in 3rd or 4th. We'll become a bit like Arsenal were in Wenger's last few years, we'll celebrate coming 4th and might win the odd cup, but, never really be involved at the business end of the season ie challenging for the title or CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Augme

He's a generational talent with the ball at his feet. Some of the balls his played over the top the since he's come back have been sensational and I don't think there's many players in the league, or world, who can do the same. He's awful defensively though, no one will argue otherwise. But I think the chances of replacing his attacking ability is just too difficult to consider getting rid. He's also 25 so jus coming into his prime.

We need a new DM, which will be a big help, and if we were sticking to a 433 I'd much prefer to replace Sob with a more defensive minded CM to allow Trent more freedom to go forward.

the biggest thing with Trent is we just need him to go back to working hard. He’s gotten very languid in his play, when he used to be quite tough and combative and hungry. Whether at fullback or midfield he needs to start running again.

something a different. The PL clubs voted on a proposed new spending model. Villa and both Manches Clubs voted against and Chelsea didn’t bother. All others including Liverpool voted in favour.

It suggests spending to be based multiples of tv revenue from the club in lowest position (20th). All outgoings including agent fees are included in the proposed cap.

I am not sure understand why Villa were against it but given the outlook FSG have on finances, I can see why Liverpool voted for it. Expected City to vote against.

Is the PL recognising the financial anomaly that City and Chelsea are and are trying to fix it in a gentlemanly way ?

• Advertisement

Villa have billionaire owners who aren't afraid of buying success. They have done well so far but obviously have their sights on a bigger prize. Hence, vote against.

Advertisement