Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manic Street Preachers + Suede - 2nd July 2024 - Trinity College

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭T.V Eye

I think all four would, i'm not mad for it myself but it's a handy catch-all for that period in indie music from Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Any body going to this concert and describing the bands in question as Brit pop probably should give back their tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

I agree with the above poster that genre labels can often be genuinely handy for identification and classification - despite virtually all bands despising it (look, Robert, loads of The Cure just IS goth) but Manics and Suede stylistically and thematically were at complete odds with Britpop. Britpop by association, not by subject.

In this case I don't think you can accurately say "That's Britpop" when both bands are clearly telling you "No, it's not". Horses mouth and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭T.V Eye

Glam-Racket it is then.

I seldom use that term, don't like it and agree it's applied to bands that differ stylistically and in some cases predate it being coined by years.

...so I regret causing this debate. I'm off to binge Suede's discography.

• Advertisement

I believe a journalist once referred to the Manic's music as "Bon Jovi with O-level politics" to which they replied "That's sort of the point" so I'm happy with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

The Manics always put on a great show. I'm gonna do my best to go to this gig.

I do wonder even as a massive Suede fan if the running order's the best decision. The Manics went into the 2000s relatively enormous here and the UK and their greatest hits would be very well known even to a lot of non-fans/radio/dad rock playlists etc. Suede spent a few years in complete obscurity before coming back in 2010 and though they've since become critical darlings again they're very much a cult band, I would say.

Brett Anderson's usually well up for the challenge of getting a bored audience invested, but I imagine a lot of people will be heading to this expecting to build up to seeing the Manics close out the night with their bangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭rockterrain

Would agree with the above. Would personally prefer see the Manics close but I guess that's the point of a co-headliner gig. Both are great live so it's just about getting on board with the format.

I wonder how well this will sell if 5K capacity. Bearing in mind both would barely sell out the Olympia at 1,600 capacity. And no doubt a big crossover audience who would go to both so I don't think you can just double this number. Although if there is a bit of room around happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,051 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Funnily enough too that they've been Jovi's support act of choice on several occasions for his UK tours.

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Suede's last indoor show here was the 2,100 capacity Bord Gáis Theatre in 2018 and it was phenomenal. By all accounts, they were superb at Forest Fest in Emo this year. Their live reputation is exemplary.

Both bands have their share of very passionate fans and a lot of people will go, even if they are fans of one band and not the other, because whatever way you look at it, it's a solid double bill. I expect it to sell out very quickly.

I'm curious as to the preferred act on here, though. Based on comments so far, I think the Manics seem to be the main draw for contributors to the thread. It's Suede for me.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

As you know, Suede are more than capable of closing out the night with their own bangers.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Oh Suede all the way for me. Those first 2 albums are absolute classics and they have absolutely maintained their live pedigree. But agreed, great double bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Suede 100% for me and I say that as a big Manics fan. It's a toin-coss as to who would be more popular in Ireland though I'd say ..

It really is a brilliant double bill, especially for the price - two supreme live acts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Tickets secured-cant wait for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Brett Anderson is one of the great frontmen. If you haven’t been to a Suede show then I’d recommend you buy tickets. They are still releasing some great new music as well as having all the 90’s bangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Seems to be sold out. That's impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Manics for me..but seeing both together is class...can't wait...

Snarky Snark Snark

Between the bands presales on wednesday and mcds yesterday, I'd say there wasn't much left going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

This.

Check out Suede on Jools Holland from earlier this year (or possibly last year) and you'll get a glimpse of how good a front man he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,815 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

they should do two nights and swap the running order

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭jimosterberg

Massive Manics fan too and would prefer if they were closing but have always liked Suede too and will enjoy giving their back catalogue a listen over the next few months. Great they are both playing full sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭deeks

Somehow only copped this was on yesterday. Went in to get tickets not thinking there would be an issue and nothing available 😔

Will keep an eye out closer to the time. Superb value for two great bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

They also supported Bon Jovi in the RDS in 2019 and it was a cracking gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭asgaard

Looks like I have been late - says low avail, but no tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭rockterrain

Yes sold out in minutes once it hit general sale. Was lucky managed to grab a couple in the pre-sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭exilec

After putting 2 up on resale if anyone is looking for any …

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 soneill88

If anyone is posting resale tickets would appreciate a chance to grab some.

Advertisement