Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That advert on the radio for Global Windows. I'd throw that auld wan out of one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I thought thats how they planned a lot of the ad campaigns? Start off with the full length ad then when everyone knows it and associates the product with the ad they shorten it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The lynx adverts are getting worse if that is even possible. The goat one I can't understand because smelling like a goat means you smell rank. The new one with the gangsta crap music seems to be more targeted at the skanger ferals with their shiny silver or white puffer coats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭deezell

I don't think they're targeting anyone here, just the notion. I'm trying to picture your average gaa playing 20 something in a silver puffer jacket reeking of lynx. He'd smell like a goat after training anyway. I'm of a generation where aerosols didn't exist, but towards the end of my dressing room days, there was much slagging about the 'smellies' as they were known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,213 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What adverts are you referring to? Government doesn't fund adverts, unless they are informational campaigns, and are clearly marked then as Government of Ireland.

You seem to be mixing up Government funding with private sector spending.

• Advertisement

OK, during VM2's champions league knockout QF coverage, there was an ad. Two wans in a work setting are deep in conversation. A male workmate who's just arrived asks ,'what's the gossip?' The pair look at him like he's asked for a ride or something, cue voice-over which lectures that assuming girl talking is gossip is inappropriate, blah blah, wokey message etc. and man is put down. In the middle of the Champions league QF ffs. I nearly booted the fkng telly. I can't even remember the name of the smug corporate business sponsers caption that closed the scene. Was it a joke? An ad for a Larry David sketch? I was watching on VMplayer btw, I think, I can't remember, I was so blindsided. Please someone say they seen it. It's too much for one ageing dinosaur to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

There is a similar McDonalds ad where a guy takes a bite of his burger snd then starts humming a mmm mmm tune for absolutely ages. Hopefully it will be shortened too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The KFC ad with some gobshite doing chimpanzee noises followed by a blast of heavy metal guitar. Sets my teeth on edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

H&M flowers ad, wtf, I don't get it, keeps me thinking it's Marc Jacobs Daisy Daisy Daisy ad

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭blackvalley

The “ sketchers “ add with Jamie Rednapp for slip on shoes. . Too bloooody lazy to reach down and tie a shoelace . And all this directed towards the “ gym bunny “ generation who are happy to spend hours posing in the gym but haven’t time to tie their laces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Is there a thread for ads we like? I really like the new M&S ad 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

while we are at it I love Jeff the Iguana ! He cracks me up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

I haven't seen it deezell but what you describe doesn't shock me.

Think about some of the adverts you see and flip the sexes. Just wouldn't happen.

Think there is one of those dreadful house alarm ads and two grannies saying they must get one all the while some young buck is installing it and they having a chuckle to themselves.

Now flip the sexes and there is National outrage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭ollaetta

The verisure one. The guy is fitting an alarm in the kitchen with a big verisure logo on his back and one granny says to the other 'psst who is he?' Take a wild guess Doris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

GOAT is new slang for Greatest of All Time.

"The new one seems to be targetted at the skanger ferals".

That has always been Lynx's target audience. Even when I was a chisler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yeah lifetime guarantee me hole, Mary and Sean need to get theirs replaced every f*ckin' year.

Burgerking, a father and son out fishing on a boat and then a merman in a business suit turns up out of nowhere. These poorly thought out surreal ads are the pits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Haven't seen it on TV yet but that insurance one online with Rob Kearney doing a fake rugby commentary is painful. Hope he got well paid cos he looks like a flute.

Agreed, particularly the Moniker. Needs must, kids to feed etc. Still one of my favourite players, especially for THAT try...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭squonk

I think it’s in terrestrial tv as I heard an ad matching that description on RTE ONE in the last few days. The fake commentary seemed to go on way too long, like well after we ‘get’ the joke and they could have stopped.

As for Rugby, I particularly hate those Centra ads with special needs Johnny Sexton. Awful altogether. Completely fails to achieve what they were going for.

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

As for Rugby, I particularly hate those Centra ads with special needs Johnny Sexton. Awful altogether. Completely fails to achieve what they were going for.

They really have failed. They were for Mace, not Centra. 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Mac 3

Worst lately.

Lynx ad, Some flavour of magnum that involves a train. Who dreams this shite up? Verisure Alarms. Womens sport, so many firms are jumping on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

There's an ad on at the mo for God-knows-what… but the woman on it is eating while talking…

I want to KILL HER!

Yes indeed, they reuse the same crunching, snapping noise whenever somebody bites into the chocolate across all their ads. I think it is supposed to sound inviting and seductive but it makes me think of somebody having their arm broken!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭squonk

I hate that fracking sound too. In reality the Magnum chocolate falls apart in shards which fall off the ice cream onto your jeans or furniture. They don’t show that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭Archeron

School shoes already, whatever next.

Yeah, what if she gets into sport, like really into sport etc.

Wife turns around with snotty head on her, "maybe we should just concentrate on the shoes".

Eh, you started that conversation, whats with the snippy response because he answered you?

That ad always annoys me.

That new lucozade ad with two groups meeting on the basketball court is really annoying and whats worse it is on at pretty much every ad break

• Advertisement

Oh yes, it is gruesome, a meaningless meme fest. Wtf is the point? Is it sport?Dancing? Gymnastics? Worse, it seems to be paired during the ad breaks with that utter bollix Lynx ad, which appears to suggest the use of psychedelic drugs, to to beat of some unintelligble vocoded rap drone. I challenge anyone to decipher the six or seven seconds of lyrics. Even if you speak fluent 'hood, I doubt it's possible. Clue; there may be a 'bro' in there.

Advertisement