Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you holding off on extension?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

It gives a good insight into how crazy the building market has gone in the last 3 years with prices doubling.

Saying that the devil is in the detail with quote so what are you getting for the €410k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Thats cheap... I know a couple doing an extension to a bungalow in Mount Merrion.. its costing 800K.

Cherry Garth is the estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Got another quote there this morning.

280 Excluding VAT and PC Sums

List of PC Sums

PLumbing - 22k

Windows 20-35k depending on material. Alu vs PVC etc

Electrics - 18k+

Bathrooms Suite/Tiles (3 bathrooms) - 6-12k 

Kitchen - 15-25k

RSJs - 12-15k

Engineer - 3k

Skylight - 3k

Velux Windows - 4k

Flooring - 25-45 per sqm

RSJ approx 10-14k

Back to the drawing board - as this is out of our budget now and getting close to planning expiry too so not much hope saving enough before. Also don't think the works will add the value to the house equivalent (or even near to what we would end up spending).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,435 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Someone's going to retire on the strength of that job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

So that is 280k 140k of pcsums the 60m2 double extension and retrofit of existing house.

Total of 420 ex vat so total of 476K

what is the breakdown of costs between the extension and the retrofit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,236 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I presume its extension + retro fit for a large house if its in Mount Merrion.

Im halfway through a 200m2 retro and a 70m2 2 storey extension, I'd be delighted if it was only 800K!

Its all relative. Large house! I think I know the estate. They wouldn't be anything special.

We are delivering new builds in the west the size of your retrofit and extension for half that 800k.

I think they are about 200m2, which would be large for Dublin, miniscule for a one off in Kerry though, but the commute would kill you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Extensions are surely slowing down for these lads now. They have to be at these prices. Throwing out 300k and 400k for 50sqm. Mental stuff really. There is fair profit in that.

Btw who the hell needs a 270sqm house. Thats a mansion.

• Advertisement

250 is pretty much the minimum standard for rural one offs now

There has to be some benefit to living in the sthicks! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It is unnecessary tbh loo laa stuff. Ours is 220 and it's big. And it's prob by people with 1 or 2 kids or none..

Sure when clients want kitchen dining living areas 6m x 15m, it tends to add up.... and add a separate sitting room as well, not to mention all ensuite bedrooms, master bedroom with large dressing room and a laundry room half the size of the ground floor of a typical semi d.

It can be tough to get down to 250 sqm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

I am holding off on one for two reasons,

Cost went up by a lot.

Cannot get anyone to come and actually do the work!

I know a pair who have added a 72sqm open plan kitchen. WTF like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GMGFirst

Last year I was looking to add a downstairs toilet to a 3 bed semi D as I wanted a second toilet (1970s house) The quotes I received were astronomical. Initially I was looking to add a porch extension and add the toilet that way as I don’t have room under the stairs. I was quoted anywhere from €20-33k for essentially an extra 3-4 sqm !!

I then decided to take a different approach and look at knocking the wall between the kitchen and dining so I could add the toilet under the stairs by taking from the kitchen. I was quoted upwards of €40k!!

In the end, I had a fab en-suite built from scratch. Best decision in the end and cost €15k all in (included all materials, tiles, sanitary ware, etc). The work was done by bathroom guys I had used before so I knew their work well. I was confident that the job would be done properly whereas with a lot of the builders I was concerned halfway through they’d tell me it would cost another €10k or something.

I’ve also be looking to get external wall insulation done but can’t get over the prices. Originally, it was about €20k before the grant. Now companies are quoting €30k+ so that ain’t happening!

I’ve also noticed that nearly every builder or home improvement guy that comes to quote is driving new and expensive cars. They seem to be the new millionaires !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭WacoKid

It seems some crews have switched over to attics and internal renovations as their primary work. Attics especially are in high demand with remote/hybrid working now the norm. They can do 2 attics or more in the same time an extension can be done, and make the same profit with a lot less uncertainties around foundations, drainage, weather etc.

It may then leave less crews doing extensions and therefore demand is still high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

wow I was considering getting an extension done to my place in north Dublin, thought it would be something like 30-40K including a new kitchen and toilet, didn't realise prices had shot up till I read this thread lol

Oh well, will skip that plan ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

30-40k extensions haven't been seen here in over 14 years.

Yeah I hadn't actually gotten any quotes yet, but definitely wasn't planning on spending more than that.

I'll just do up the garden instead of building an extension on it :)

Shop around and put in a garden room instead maybe. Things are only going one way still even though some thinking we would see a slow down soon. Not going to happen.

Garden room sounds interesting...how much those typically cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭bfclancy2

25sqm probably cost 40K, all depending on spec of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

My brother just got a 25sqm one for 24k. Insulated, connected to electrics, water and toilet, for that too. You could live in it if you wanted.

It only seems acceptable for the government to provide modular solutions for a certain cohort. They can't be seen to be interfering with the developers and or construction sector by allowing individuals to solve their own issues.

We'll get the usual response to this which is fair enough. It is true though.

A lad I know just put up a garden room. Lovely job. Fully insulated and plumbed with a kitchenette. Electrics are certified. It cost 30k. This was for his son. The alternative was to let the son out a rent a room in a shared house for 1k a month. In an absolute dump too.

Nice, maybe you guys could PM me the builder/supplier pls?

I've got a free ticket to the self-build show in Leopardstown Racecourse in couple of weeks, so looking to get some suggestions on what to do with the space there too

https://live.selfbuild.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭andy125

I was quoted 140k for a 40sqm single storey extension, i got the quote only to see what it would have cost me had i used a contractor, they wanted 10k to knock the existing flat roof extension about 20sqm, it cost me 800 for a skip and a weekend to knock it.

I have footings and ground floor slab in and my cost is at 5k so far, direct labour and doing as much myself is the only way i could have a hope to build this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭danfrancisco83

Fair play, love to know how you get on, good luck with it.

Advertisement